Galbanum Architecture Wavetable Usage

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
blacktomcat666
KVRist
221 posts since 8 Aug, 2005

Post Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:36 pm

Some inofficial hints on creating Dune 2 wavetables (no guarantee that this is still up to date, I don't own Dune 2 and also have no relationship to the company):

Dune 2 seems to use different internal formats for wavetables, but all having the extension *.WT.

One uses multisampled wavetables (mip mapping) with 24 key zones with 4 semitones each. The higher the key zone, the less partials are used in the wavetable to avoid aliasing. This means, you have to do an FFT analysis of your basic wavetable and resynthesize copies with decreasing number of partials for the upper key zones. The number of samples in a single slot is 2048 and the resolution is 16 bits.

In the WT file the ordering of the key zone tables is as follows:

slot0 (zone 0) .... slot63 (zone 0),
slot0 (zone 1) .... slot63 (zone 1),
slot0 (zone 23) .... slot63 (zone 23)

Further a WT file has a 352 byte header with the following structure:

0x02,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x08,0x15,0x00,
0x18,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x40,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x80,0x3F,
0x00 (rest is zero)

I dont know the meaning of all bytes. Some of them (I think the first one) define the internal WT format. But Byte 20 (here with value 0x40, what is 64 decimal) is the number of slots (number of your source wavetable entries).

By the way, Dune 2 can have less or even more than 64 slots (I successfully tried a wavetable with 128), but I don't know if the latter could lead to memory problems.

rustman
KVRian
1123 posts since 29 Sep, 2013

Re: Galbanum Architecture Wavetable Usage

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:36 am

Just tossing this out...there are freebies out there that can batch rename files in a directory. One could probably append _2048 to all files in short order using one of them. I cannot recommend any particular tool, however.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Daags
KVRAF
2196 posts since 19 Dec, 2014

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:16 am

you could do that with a .bat file ...

anyway, I suspect Andrew is using his own custom software for batch-creating these wavetables which may be why he wants developer co-operation where necessary...so he can get info on the file format.

rather than manually making each wavetable with the tools available to the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLMSf4afzo

kurodo
KVRist
378 posts since 18 Aug, 2014

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:06 am

rustman wrote:Just tossing this out...there are freebies out there that can batch rename files in a directory. One could probably append _2048 to all files in short order using one of them. I cannot recommend any particular tool, however.

Bulk Rename (PC Free) should take care of it.
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php

Andrew Souter
KVRAF
2528 posts since 12 Sep, 2008

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:56 am

kurodo wrote:
rustman wrote:Just tossing this out...there are freebies out there that can batch rename files in a directory. One could probably append _2048 to all files in short order using one of them. I cannot recommend any particular tool, however.

Bulk Rename (PC Free) should take care of it.
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
I use "A Better Finder Rename". Excellent, excellent tool! :tu:

http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/

I will resave these though with the Serum header chunk, that is also readable with Falcon, and then this will actually not be necessary...

Andrew Souter
KVRAF

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:38 am

BTW, a while ago, a user very generously spent his time to make a web-based visualizer for the entire collection of 25k waveforms. I keep forgetting to mention this, but it's rather cool to play with:

http://galbanum.com/Waveform_Veiwer/index.htm

I forget exactly who made it made, but perhaps he will read this and claim credit for this work! Thanks!! :tu: :tu:

Dewdman42
KVRAF
1582 posts since 14 Mar, 2006

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:31 am

any chance of getting these into Omnispheres2? I doubt it, but thought I'd ask. It includes a pretty decent set of wavetables as it is..

Regarding Apple's version of Alchemy, did you by any chance try using the same path that the old version of Alchemy used to use? I have heard that the new Apple Alchemy can find "patches" from an original installation of Alchemy, under Camel Audio folder, etc.. maybe that would work for waveosc? probably not though. Sad to hear Apple dummied it down.

The original Galbanum collections have always interested me, though 25,000 wave files is overwhelming to say the least. I have Rapture Pro, Z3TA2, Massive, Absynth, Omnispheres2 and Apple's version of Alchemy; all of which could benefit from a wavetable collection, but it appears that in some cases (Massive), we can't get any waves in there and as far as I know none of them can use a consolidated wavetable format you are providing now, which is a lot less overwhelming to comprehend and work with, to say the least.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-128gb 10.14, X32+AES16e-50, LPX, Cubase, StudioOne, DP, Reaper, VEP7, VSL Full Cube, MirPro, EWHO Diamond, Kirk Hunter, etc

Cinebient
KVRAF
4201 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:57 am

Dewdman42 wrote:any chance of getting these into Omnispheres2? I doubt it, but thought I'd ask. It includes a pretty decent set of wavetables as it is..

Regarding Apple's version of Alchemy, did you by any chance try using the same path that the old version of Alchemy used to use? I have heard that the new Apple Alchemy can find "patches" from an original installation of Alchemy, under Camel Audio folder, etc.. maybe that would work for waveosc? probably not though. Sad to hear Apple dummied it down.

The original Galbanum collections have always interested me, though 25,000 wave files is overwhelming to say the least. I have Rapture Pro, Z3TA2, Massive, Absynth, Omnispheres2 and Apple's version of Alchemy; all of which could benefit from a wavetable collection, but it appears that in some cases (Massive), we can't get any waves in there and as far as I know none of them can use a consolidated wavetable format you are providing now, which is a lot less overwhelming to comprehend and work with, to say the least.
I also didn´t find a path to add something to Alchemy 2 where it was (and still is) easy with Alchemy 1.55. You also can´t use anymore tuning inside Alchemy 2. Apple is known for removing things because of......mhhhhh..... only they know :borg:

rustman
KVRian
1123 posts since 29 Sep, 2013

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:49 pm

Galbanum wrote:BTW, a while ago, a user very generously spent his time to make a web-based visualizer for the entire collection of 25k waveforms. I keep forgetting to mention this, but it's rather cool to play with:

http://galbanum.com/Waveform_Veiwer/index.htm

I forget exactly who made it made, but perhaps he will read this and claim credit for this work! Thanks!! :tu: :tu:
That is pretty cool indeed. Thanks to the dev and thanks for sharing Andrew. :tu:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

wagtunes
KVRAF
16141 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:05 pm

I'm a little stumped so maybe somebody can help.

I downloaded the 32 bit version of these files. I attempted to load some into Falcon, and they load fine, but they're not wavetables. They're static single cycle waveforms. So I figured what I needed to do was to import them into something like Audio-Term and create the actual wavetables there and then import them into Falcon. Problem is, Audo-Term doesn't recognize the waves as any valid format that it can use and dumped them into its unrecognizeable files folder.

So I'm stumped. How do I actually create a wavetable with these waveforms?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Daags
KVRAF
2196 posts since 19 Dec, 2014

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:38 pm

wagtunes wrote:I'm a little stumped so maybe somebody can help.

I downloaded the 32 bit version of these files. I attempted to load some into Falcon, and they load fine, but they're not wavetables. They're static single cycle waveforms. So I figured what I needed to do was to import them into something like Audio-Term and create the actual wavetables there and then import them into Falcon. Problem is, Audo-Term doesn't recognize the waves as any valid format that it can use and dumped them into its unrecognizeable files folder.

is audio-term compatible with 32bit wavs ?

32-bit wavs aren't widely compatible.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:46 pm

Daags wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I'm a little stumped so maybe somebody can help.

is audio-term compatible with 32bit wavs ?

32-bit wavs aren't widely compatible.
I'm not an Audio-Term expert but I'm looking in the samples folder and I'm finding 16 bit PCM and 32 bit float as being valid so you tell me.

If I could find an Audio-Term manual somewhere, I could maybe figure this out.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:54 pm

Okay, I found the manual.

This is right out of it.

Common file parameters:
• format *.WAV
• 44.1 kHz
• 8,16,32 bit PCM and 32 bit IEEE float

So I will say yes, it recognizes 32 bit.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:25 pm

Okay, problem is solved. Serum recognizes the single cycle waves. So I'll import them into Serum, create the wavetables there and then export them into Falcon. That way I'll have the same wavetable for two synths.

Time consuming but doable.

Andrew Souter
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:59 am

wagtunes wrote:Okay, problem is solved. Serum recognizes the single cycle waves. So I'll import them into Serum, create the wavetables there and then export them into Falcon. That way I'll have the same wavetable for two synths.

Time consuming but doable.
Uhmmm that's the point of the "wavetable" format. "Wav-32" and all other formats are the seperate isolated waveforms. "Wavetable" format combines the single, one waveform per file, files into a many waveforms per file format.

Yes you can do it yourself too, and it can be fun to try different combinations of waveforms to create different wavetables (such as intentionally choosing a few very diverse waveforms and using morph features), but if you just want the wavetables organized as I had already done, the work is already done for you. That's the primary news of this recent topic actually. :wink:

Happy New Year! :party: :party: :party:

Return to “Instruments”