Galbanum Architecture Wavetable Usage

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Ingonator
KVRAF
12043 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:55 am

wagtunes wrote:I'm a little stumped so maybe somebody can help.

I downloaded the 32 bit version of these files. I attempted to load some into Falcon, and they load fine, but they're not wavetables. They're static single cycle waveforms. So I figured what I needed to do was to import them into something like Audio-Term and create the actual wavetables there and then import them into Falcon. Problem is, Audo-Term doesn't recognize the waves as any valid format that it can use and dumped them into its unrecognizeable files folder.

So I'm stumped. How do I actually create a wavetable with these waveforms?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
As i had mentioned earlier in this thread when you mport WAV wavetable files into Falcon you have to add the size oif a single waveform at the end of the file. For Serum and Galbanum this is 2048.
This means you have to rename the Galbaum wavetable files to something like e.g. "Wavetable 001_2048.WAV" and the import into Falcon.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
notebook: HP Omen 15.6" / Win 10 Home 64-bit / i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (internal) // audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen)
DAWs: Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 // controller: Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

wald
KVRist
127 posts since 28 Dec, 2012

Re: Galbanum Architecture Wavetable Usage

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:26 am

Cinebient wrote: Totally agree!
My short answer again.... i would like to buy (again) a format which fits for Dune 2, so that i don´t have to do a workaround.
I already bought it and used it in Falcon but i would much prefer it inside Dune 2!
dito!!

blacktomcat666
KVRist
221 posts since 8 Aug, 2005

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:56 am

wagtunes wrote:Okay, I found the manual.

This is right out of it.

Common file parameters:
• format *.WAV
• 44.1 kHz
• 8,16,32 bit PCM and 32 bit IEEE float

So I will say yes, it recognizes 32 bit.
The point is the sample rate, Audio - Term only supports 44.1 kHz, Galbanum uses 96 kHz. But I wouldn't recommend Audio - Term for this purpose at all, especially not for translating files to other formats than the Terratec Komplexer (but who still want's this in 2016? :lol: ).

wagtunes
KVRAF
16141 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:17 am

Thanks for all the help guys. I figured out what i did wrong. I downloaded the wrong file so I went and got the WT version. I also remembered that I can import the single cycle waves into Serum and create my own WTs there which is what I am also doing with the single cycle waves to create some custom WTs.

So all is good now.

Really looking forward to diving into this.

terminus_one
KVRist
241 posts since 21 Jan, 2015

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:23 am

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere (I've not seen a definitive answer in this thread) – are the new wavetables fully compatible in SynthMaster 2.7?

Thanks!

liquidsound
KVRAF
2950 posts since 30 May, 2006 from Hollow Earth

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:01 am

George wrote:I have tried Galbanum demo files (wav 24-bit) with Corona and Discovery Pro and they are working great! :)
George, how about the 32 and 64 format with Corona?
MuLab.Ableton.Diva.Zebra.Repro-1.Dune2.The Legend.ArcSyn.Spire.TAL

Ingonator
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:18 am

terminus_one wrote:Apologies if this is covered elsewhere (I've not seen a definitive answer in this thread) – are the new wavetables fully compatible in SynthMaster 2.7?

Thanks!
Wavetables in Synthmaster are not done loading a single WAV file but by loading up to 16 single waveforms in the synth (at between 2 and 16 "slots"). New waveforms could be added by clicking at the "+" symbol and selecting waveforms from teh drop-down menu where teh maximum is 16 waveforms. A wavetable is then created in realtime with adding automatic interpolations. Those are avvailable with the "Index" knob or with the modulation of the Index parameter by e.g. an envelope or LFO. Actually the interpolations seem to be continuous so using modulations should not create hearable steps.

The Galbanum wavetables seem to include up to 255 different waveforms so they could not be compatible.
It would be possible to crete wavetables using up to 16 waveforms from teh single waveforms collection from Galbanum.
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
notebook: HP Omen 15.6" / Win 10 Home 64-bit / i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (internal) // audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen)

terminus_one
KVRist

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:29 am

Ah, thanks for the very useful explanation @Ingonator! :)

Do you get all the individual single cycle waveforms included if you purchase the "Wavetable" format, or do you need to purchase these WAVs separately?

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:29 am

Just my opinion. Synthmaster is not a wavetable synth in the traditional sense. At best, it's very limited. But it's meant to be marketed as a wavetable synth. It's just one of the things it does on a limited scale. When I think WT synths, I think Serum, Falcon, Nave, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I love Synthmaster. I made Bulent's top 20 in the latest song contest. But it's not the first synth I look to when I think I want a WT like sound.

Ingonator
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:46 am

terminus_one wrote:Ah, thanks for the very useful explanation @Ingonator! :)

Do you get all the individual single cycle waveforms included if you purchase the "Wavetable" format, or do you need to purchase these WAVs separately?
You have to pay extra money for different formats. AFAIK you could select up to 3 formats at purchase.

The 32-bit WAV format seems to be compatible with Synthmaster 2.7.

You need to copy those to the "UserWaveforms" folder at the Vstplugins folder.
For me it is at: C:\Vstplugins\KV331 Audio\Resources\UserWaveforms

You could create a new subfolder there like e.g. "Galbanum" and copy the waveforms there.
Ingo Weidner

terminus_one
KVRist

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:47 am

wagtunes wrote:Just my opinion. Synthmaster is not a wavetable synth in the traditional sense. At best, it's very limited. But it's meant to be marketed as a wavetable synth. It's just one of the things it does on a limited scale. When I think WT synths, I think Serum, Falcon, Nave, etc.
Yup, I agree – SynthMaster has limited capabilities on this front (I wasn't fully aware until @Ingonator pointed out that it only handles single cycle waveforms).

Nevertheless, this Galbanum Architecture Waveforms package has the potential to be a vast sonic palette that could be used and reused across multiple synths, in potentially diverse ways, for a really long time. That's an enticing prospect :) Right now I'd love to use it in the synths I have: e.g. SynthMaster, Z3ta+2, Dune 2, AIR Hybrid 3, etc., with a view to unlocking even more potential when I eventually purchase Serum and Falcon. (i.e. the gift that keeps giving :))

Right now, the plethora of options and compatibility questions is unnecessarily complicating the way the product seems to a potential customer. May I suggest a "simple" compatibility grid/matrix with very clear explanations on what each format/package has to offer (exactly) and the known compatibility for that particular format/package.

Thanks for listening, and for all your help :)

terminus_one
KVRist

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:50 am

Ingonator wrote:
terminus_one wrote:Ah, thanks for the very useful explanation @Ingonator! :)

You have to pay extra money for different formats. AFAIK you could select up to 3 formats at purchase.

The 32-bit WAV format seems to be compatible with Synthmaster 2.7.

You need to copy those to the "UserWaveforms" folder at the Vstplugins folder.
For me it is at: C:\Vstplugins\KV331 Audio\Resources\UserWaveforms

You could create a new subfolder there like e.g. "Galbanum" and copy the waveforms there.
Many thanks for clearing that up, @Ingonator !

Ingonator
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:51 am

wagtunes wrote:Just my opinion. Synthmaster is not a wavetable synth in the traditional sense. At best, it's very limited. But it's meant to be marketed as a wavetable synth. It's just one of the things it does on a limited scale. When I think WT synths, I think Serum, Falcon, Nave, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I love Synthmaster. I made Bulent's top 20 in the latest song contest. But it's not the first synth I look to when I think I want a WT like sound.
It IS a wavetable synth but you could only use up to 16 different waveforms and interpolation is then added automatically (available from the Index parameter/knob). Seems to work comparable way in Zebra 2 where a wavertable seems to contain up to 16 waveforms too. Synthmaster and Zebra 2 seemed to be the first softsynths that allowed using custom wavetables.
Ingo Weidner

mutantdog
KVRAF
1964 posts since 21 Sep, 2007 from The Infinite Void

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:04 am

terminus_one wrote:Right now, the plethora of options and compatibility questions is unnecessarily complicating the way the product seems to a potential customer. May I suggest a "simple" compatibility grid/matrix with very clear explanations on what each format/package has to offer (exactly) and the known compatibility for that particular format/package.
I completely agree, this whole thing is quite confusing. I'm tempted to grab the wavetables anyway even though i don't (yet) have Serum. I'd like to know what synths the other formats work with (Alchemy and Absynth being obvious), is it worth it to pick up WAV-32 at the same time? Maybe, if i can figure out what uses i'll get from it.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:06 am

Ingonator wrote:

It IS a wavetable synth but you could only use up to 16 different waveforms and interpolation is then added automatically (available from the Index parameter/knob). Seems to work comparable way in Zebra 2 where a wavertable seems to contain up to 16 waveforms too. Synthmaster and Zebra 2 seemed to be the first softsynths that allowed using custom wavetables.
Yes, which is why I qualified my statement as "limited as best." Same with Zebra 2, which is one of my favorite synths. It's just not the first thing I think of when I think "wavetable" as it's very limited in that area.

Return to “Instruments”