Novation V-Station question

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bass Station V-Station

Hi all,

I've been programming some patches with the Novation V-Station, v2.3.

I'm struggling to figure out how I can copy my programs from one location to another. When I began messing around with it, I chose "User 498" randomly and began programming, thinking I could save my program file and reload it wherever I wanted to later. But it seems that the location of the program is saved with the data, because when I reload it, regardless of the current location, it goes back to 498.

Ok, so I'll just write it to another location. I've read the manual on how to do this, but after selecting 'Write' and then changing to another program location and pressing 'Confirm' (twice), the program isn't overwritten with the desired program (but is maybe overwritten with itself, I dunno).

At any rate, any help will be appreciated.

You could just bypass Vstation's weird preset system by saving the presets in your DAWs native format :)
Most DAWs that I know of have a way of saving presets anyway.

BDeep wrote:You could just bypass Vstation's weird preset system by saving the presets in your DAWs native format :)
Most DAWs that I know of have a way of saving presets anyway.
Hi, thanks. My problem is that I'd like to copy my current program to a new location in order to use it as a basis for a new program. Then send bank/program change messages to the V-Station to switch between the programs. But it seems that the program number is saved along with it, so I can't move/copy it to another location.

Yeah, I see what you want to achieve now. I just tried it a bit, and can't get it to work either. Basically, although the manual suggests you can write from one location to another, really you can't. Tried the Bass Station as well, same results, ie didn't work either.
So the only way to go about this is to start with the new preset number, and dial everything in again... Weird.

hi Mr. Sanford! love your plugins! esp basstightner, a permanent plug on my master mixbus :)
anyway, i think the fact that v-station also handles sysex patches has to do with the loopy patch system.
i just save individual fxp patches and load them back in, tweak them and resave as fxp with a new name.
sorry cant be of more help. :shrug:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Seems like a bug in V-Station. When you press Write, and then use Program up/down buttons to select another memory location, it actually goes and switches presets, when it shouldn't do that.

Exactly, maybe on the hardware you had to hold the write button while selecting another preset slot?

BDeep wrote:Yeah, I see what you want to achieve now. I just tried it a bit, and can't get it to work either.
Hi, BDeep. Thanks for confirming this. I'm going to assume it's a bug at this point and not user error on my part. :) I'll drop by the Novation site and see if there's a way to report this.

layzer wrote:hi Mr. Sanford! love your plugins! esp basstightner, a permanent plug on my master mixbus :)
Hi, layzer. Thanks for your kind words. It's great to know those plugins are getting some use. :)

You can contact Novation, but the last time I mentioned them V-Station has mousing bugs with bipolar controls, they said "we'll fix it"... that was about a year ago... :/

EvilDragon wrote:You can contact Novation, but the last time I mentioned them V-Station has mousing bugs with bipolar controls, they said "we'll fix it"... that was about a year ago... :/
Indeed. I know I'm not the only one to have sent the "preset saving bug" to them ages ago. I moved on, and continue to just save as FXP, within Chainer, or Cantabile, etc. Love V-Stations sound.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

I just hit this bug too. Was anyone able to work around it by using the host's fxp saving feature? When I save and load an .fxp file in my host, I get the same behavior. For example, if I save preset 300 to an .fxp file, select preset 301, then load the .fxp, V-Station automatically switches to 300 and 301 stays the same. I see this in Tracktion and SAVIHost.

I filed an issue with Novation tech support last month. They acknowledged that it's a bug, but haven't committed to a fix. I encourage other V-Station users to do the same thing. Maybe if enough of us complain, they'll actually fix it?

Alongside the many other bugs present in version 2.3? Well, that would be a surprise. :) On the other hand, i don't know any other company still supporting such an old soft synth. For now, i figure it's best to use the older version 1.7, if you're on a 32-bit DAW. If not, that won't be an option of course, and you'll have to use the new version, and accept that there are bugs., and try to work around them.

chk071 wrote:Alongside the many other bugs present in version 2.3? Well, that would be a surprise. :) On the other hand, i don't know any other company still supporting such an old soft synth. For now, i figure it's best to use the older version 1.7, if you're on a 32-bit DAW. If not, that won't be an option of course, and you'll have to use the new version, and accept that there are bugs., and try to work around them.
Or program the sounds in the older version (in 32-bit) and then use them with the new version (in 64-bit). I didn't try, but I presume the patch location is the same (?).
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”