Stacker by Sample Magic

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
declansm
KVRer
10 posts since 5 Apr, 2017

Post Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:42 am

Thanks guys!

We intend to address the CPU issues as well as the other bugs mentioned and appreciate you guys helping point them out

mjudge55
KVRist
101 posts since 8 Sep, 2005 from Seattle

Re: Stacker by Sample Magic

Post Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:41 am

So glad to hear Stacker will get an update and continued attention. I'd never heard of it until the recent sale and had been looking at other similar plugins and just wasn't finding what I was looking for. But Stacker turns out to be a great fit and sounds nice.

Some folks have asked for a multi output 'Stackerzilla'. But for me, working in Ableton with racks, the single instrument per instance is great.

Matt
Doctor kindly tell your wife that
I'm alive, flowers thrive
Realize, realize, realize

AdamWysokinski
KVRist
170 posts since 16 Feb, 2017

Post Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:02 pm

When can we expect new version of Stacker?

woodsdenis
KVRian
1481 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Post Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:35 pm

AdamWysokinski wrote:When can we expect new version of Stacker?
TBH Although Stacker works the failure to fix obvious CPU issues for over a year has put me off SM plugins for good, really poor performance.
Mac Pro
10.12.6 Digi 96 io
Cubase 9, Ableton Live 9.7, Bitwig 1.3

Russell Grand
KVRian
1313 posts since 22 May, 2017

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:09 am

Still loving Stacker! Good stuff!

Shandar
KVRist
142 posts since 19 Mar, 2004 from Italy

Post Tue May 15, 2018 7:40 am

Now it seems gone :o
I recently bought it and now I can't find it anywhere. Even the youtube tutorial published by Sample Magic about it are now private.
At least it's still in my Sample Magic account.
I'm surprised that an almost new plugin is already retired from the market and in such "aggressive" way.
Anybody knows something about what happened? It seems like a legal issue...

Aloysius
KVRAF
22057 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from a computer

Post Tue May 15, 2018 9:40 am

They were supposed to fix some problems with the plugin (as reported by customers) and then ... after a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooog wait (by said customers) it was discontinued (on the sly).

declansm; Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:42 am
declansm wrote:Thanks guys!

We intend to address the CPU issues as well as the other bugs mentioned and appreciate you guys helping point them out
Thanks for nothing mate.
I didn't get where I am today ...

imrae
KVRist
394 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Tue May 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Well that is super lame

Shandar
KVRist
142 posts since 19 Mar, 2004 from Italy

Post Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 pm

I asked the Sample Magic support about the future of Stacker and here is their reply
We have stopped selling, updating and offering support for Stacker. Unfortunately, we made this decision a few weeks back.

Again sorry for the bad news.
:cry:

imrae
KVRist
394 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Tue May 15, 2018 10:27 pm

I get emails from Sample Magic trying to sell me sample packs every few days. I don't think it would be so inconvenient to let me know directly that they are discontinuing support for a product I paid for for, within a few years of its release.

I guess I can unsubscribe from all communication now; the only reason I left them unblocked was in case they a) had update info on Stacker or b) could tempt me with another plugin. Both of those seem unlikely now.

stimresp
KVRian
1005 posts since 1 Jul, 2008

Post Tue May 15, 2018 11:44 pm

Really shoddy behaviour. Fool me once....

woodsdenis
KVRian
1481 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Post Wed May 16, 2018 10:47 am

stimresp wrote:Really shoddy behaviour. Fool me once....
Yep put me off buying from SM in the future. Very shoddy behavior.
Mac Pro
10.12.6 Digi 96 io
Cubase 9, Ableton Live 9.7, Bitwig 1.3

Russell Grand
KVRian

Post Wed May 16, 2018 10:58 am

Aloysius wrote:They were supposed to fix some problems with the plugin (as reported by customers) and then ... after a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooog wait (by said customers) it was discontinued (on the sly).

declansm; Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:42 am
declansm wrote:Thanks guys!

Thanks for nothing mate.
WTF :x
This totally pisses me off.

Russell Grand
KVRian

Post Wed May 16, 2018 11:10 am

Shandar wrote:I asked the Sample Magic support about the future of Stacker and here is their reply
We have stopped selling, updating and offering support for Stacker. Unfortunately, we made this decision a few weeks back.

Again sorry for the bad news.
:cry:
I'm so pissed. What a pathetic way for a company to behave and what a stupid business decision. :dog:
Because of this unprofessional move of promising an update for Stacker then quietly removing all traces of it without any type of warning or explanation, I will no longer support Sample Magic and I'll make sure to tell everyone I can reach on social media to stear clear of them too. :x :x :x

Sharooz
KVRist
35 posts since 7 Dec, 2011

Post Thu May 17, 2018 5:06 am

Hi All,

Apologies for the lack of updates on Stacker recently.

Stacker was developed by freelance coders working from a variety of locations and with different licensed DSP components. We are not a large enough company to benefit from dedicated in-house developers, so are at the mercy of those who created the original code and fitting into their schedule to build and test updates.

We have made numerous attempts to reach out to the original developers of the plugin over the course of a year, who initially gave us a timescale for updates but it seems have just given up on developing audio products outright (as freelancers often do, and reserve the right to do so at any point), due I believe to taking full time employment elsewhere.

That left us with two options. Rebuild entirely from the ground up, or re-purpose the existing code with new developers in order to get as close to the original product as we could, then optimise and make improvements accordingly - we chose the latter, then realised we had an issue with IP relating to the original developer who objected to having his code re-hashed. We tried our best to get around this, and then correspondence from the original developer eventually ceased altogether. Reluctantly we had no reasonable choice but to stop supporting the plugin. A really tough decision given my personal endorsement and attachment to it. While we attempted to remedy the reasons why an update couldn't be established, we offered discounts and incentives to purchasers of the original.

We are happy to continue to offer support via email any time, as we always have done (to my working knowledge Stacker still operates well - last tested this morning on my own machine on Mac OS 10.13, Logic X and Ableton 10) but at this point it is difficult to know when an update, if any, will happen, hence removing it from sale. This decision was not taken lightly. We still have the installer and library intact and are happy to send it to any buyers with proof of purchase who require re install or re-serialisation.

You can also reach out to me directly via PM at any time.

Thanks

Sharooz

sharooz@samplemagic.com

Return to “Instruments”