SPC ArcSyn

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alectrona for ArcSyn ArcSyn Arrows for ArcSyn

Might just be the oversampling I'm hearing. Whatever...I didn't need it so it got pulled.

Windows Defender found the uninstaller to be a keylogger trojan. Anyone else get this?

AVG didn't find anything.
Blue Phase Music

Blue Phase Music wrote:AVG didn't find anything.
Hmm. Yea I just came home to find it quarantined...this is with the Windows Defender (which I did not know was even running as that machine is offline and I usually have nothing running with my DAW, and I check everything through my download machine).

Awesome synth. It bridges the gap between: 1 -the old 2envs one lfo, screaming filter (mono synth emulations)
H
2- the crazy'only possible in the box' designs with loads of modulations, crazy waveforms etc. Example zebra, diversion, glass viper.

It still bring new ideas, such as those sequencing lfos.

And it sounds great.

I would make the logo tiny and use the remaining space to actually show the oscilltosawaveformorms. They have fancy names, but I'd rather see the waveform. Serum, glass viper etc got us spoiled.

Got to tell you.. I just bought e very expensive plugin that can do everything (almost), but still, when i downloaded the demo version of this.. Holy ****. It has the sound that just feels right to my ears. And when you pusch the Q the of the filters.. ******. (You have to imagine that word). I really don't need to buy another synth. Feels always like i'm looking for that perfect thing. This one really got THAT sound that i like. Tried everything to talk myself out of buying this... "well it has no phase controls of the lfo's, so no way creating down pitch drums. Then i realised it has like ++(many)waveforms for making Slides" Well,
Cudos to the devloper(s) You got me! :-)

Just played with the demo for the last 1/2 an hour and it is a lovely sounding synth, I'll no doubt pick it up at some point. I like the Saturation stage.

Beautiful sounding synth. I didn't expect to be wowed by it, but it did. I'm getting some pretty interesting sounds out of the demo that would be hard to do in many other synths. I think if this had a sexier interface people would be going ballistic over it, it sounds great to my ears though and is definitely now on my radar to purchase.

Hi, I'm the developer of ArcSyn so I've been reading through these comments with interest! It seems that the number one complaint here is about the GUI - I get that many people don't like it! The layout is good IMHO but I'm certainly listening to what you're saying. The knobs are rendered in a 3D program rather than using KnobMan and I did spend a *lot* of time experimenting with things like the shadow contrast and so on but ended up preferring the current look. It seems like I'm in a club of one on this :wink: The ironic thing is that I have a degree in Art but I'm self-taught as a programmer... Perhaps someone could suggest a GUI designer to me?

With regard to the sound quality, it's pretty good to my ears. I tried to avoid that "hard" quality that many softsynths seem (to my ears) to have and went for warmth. I spent a huge amount of time sampling other synths and examining the output in spectrum analysis software - you'd be surprised how many well-known synths roll off their audio at 10KHz or even lower. One person here commented that the audio rolls off over 15KHz but few people over 20 can actually hear that high.

Someone commented on the bass response being light - I'm certain that isn't the case. There is a (so-called) "DC" cut filter in the output path but the cutoff point is *well* below 20Hz. Maybe some other VA synths use 'hidden' built-in bass boost?

SPC Plugins wrote:The ironic thing is that I have a degree in Art but I'm self-taught as a programmer... Perhaps someone could suggest a GUI designer to me?
I'm not personally put off by the gui at all. But there is always room for improvement right?

I think the OP in the following link did an outstanding job re-imagining Zebra. I like the sense of proportion in his new theme as well as the visual feedback it provides. With that said... I don't have a personal relationship with them. I admired (and bought) their work is all. Drop 'em a PM, could be a good fit, who knows?

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=456163

UncleAge wrote:
SPC Plugins wrote:The ironic thing is that I have a degree in Art but I'm self-taught as a programmer... Perhaps someone could suggest a GUI designer to me?
I'm not personally put off by the gui at all. But there is always room for improvement right?

I think the OP in the following link did an outstanding job re-imagining Zebra. I like the sense of proportion in his new theme as well as the visual feedback it provides. With that said... I don't have a personal relationship with them. I admired (and bought) their work is all. Drop 'em a PM, could be a good fit, who knows?

Thank you for this link, I'll definitely investigate further. Good to hear you're not put off by the GUI - I obviously like it but I seem to have wierd taste!

SPC Plugins wrote:
UncleAge wrote:

Thank you for this link, I'll definitely investigate further. Good to hear you're not put off by the GUI - I obviously like it but I seem to have wierd taste!
My problem with the GUI is that I'm 58 years old and my eyes aren't the greatest. So I need GUIs that aren't so "artistic" and easier to read everything. Yours simply doesn't fit into that mold. But the synth sounds great.

I'm actually not that bothered by the interface and I'm pretty picky about these things.

I would love to see some more info that is actually useful on the spot that the logo is taking. Like the amp envelope. Or the master section, that would leave enough empty space on the oscillator area to display waveforms.

Improving on that is far more useful than redesigning the knobs in my view.

I'm really liking the sounds of this synth, and that's job one!

As for the GUI, I like the overall layout! Yes, it could be layed-out several different ways, but yours is fine to me. But I do like to tell a knob's position in an instant! As it is now I'm having to decipher the setting. I'd make the knob a bit simpler in design and make the grey rotational area darker, to lend more contrast, and improve instant position legibility.

The best way for nearly any design to gain greater legibility in a limited space is to use condensed fonts (thinner than equal). This a good rule of thumb for ALL VSTi knob labels, as available width is usually the issue.

Another issue with the ArcSyn GUI is that the tiny labels (like under and above DETUNE settings) lack contrast and need to be a little taller, and therefore a good place for a condensed sans-serif font in white or a much lighter grey. And this whiter/lighter type effect is one the whole layout could benefit from, IMHO.

And I agree the logo seems pointless large (and a bit off the mark - orientalish? Maybe I'm missing something!?) - no offense. In this case, a smaller, but bolder logo (one that spoke of "ArcSyn", not Bamboo Dragon Tea Room) would be much more effective, and leave room for more synth function, or smaller overall GUI. Even if you keep the letter shapes, I think a smaller, bolder design would be multi-beneficial.

But all this "I wish" talk is relatively small beans when you've developed such a fine sounding synth! I do agree a little tightening of the GUI would equal crisper sales and a better satisfied customer base, because in my mind, countless hours staring at an annoying GUI becomes a pain! (see: Wavestation!) Sure, you can't please everyone with any design, but I do feel there's easy room for improvement here.

And I respect your degree in art, but every good Designer can benefit from a good Art Director to tighten the design, from a less immersed POV. Just as a performer can benefit from an outside producer.

But either way, thanks for the most interesting and very useful new synth!!!

I'll just chime in and say that the GUI doesn't actually bother me either. It doesn't look bad by any stretch and I like the consistency of your products - but it's amazing how much some people seem to care about it (check out some of the comments that Mpowersynth gets about its GUI - it's an absolutely phenomenal beast of a synth but some people can't look past it - their loss). From a marketing perspective though, a really nice looking GUI seems to sell (people rave about Serum's). I think if you've got a great product - and you do - people will eventually find it, but a flashy GUI will help them find it faster.

Return to “Instruments”