2ndsenseaudio released Wiggle Synthesizer Plugin PC/MAC

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
jbuonacc
KVRian
570 posts since 8 May, 2006

Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:40 am

shonky wrote:... I use Ableton and I'm getting 238% CPU while the synth is idle. ... Unless I can find a way to avoid these spikes, I'm gonna have to pass on this.
similar to how we were talking about running it inside Maschine with Ableton, i just realized tonight that it works just as well inside the free NI Komplete Kontrol plug-in.

shonky
KVRian
947 posts since 21 Nov, 2005

Re: 2ndsenseaudio released Wiggle Synthesizer Plugin PC/MAC

Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:10 am

jbuonacc wrote:
shonky wrote:... I use Ableton and I'm getting 238% CPU while the synth is idle. ... Unless I can find a way to avoid these spikes, I'm gonna have to pass on this.
similar to how we were talking about running it inside Maschine with Ableton, i just realized tonight that it works just as well inside the free NI Komplete Kontrol plug-in.
First time I've heard of this solution - can I use this if I don't own any NI hardware gear or is it purely for the Kontrol series keyboards?

fmr
KVRAF
9157 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:33 am

shonky wrote:
jbuonacc wrote:
First time I've heard of this solution - can I use this if I don't own any NI hardware gear or is it purely for the Kontrol series keyboards?
You can use it without any hardware (and/or with ANY hardware controller, to be more precise).
Fernando (FMR)

jbuonacc
KVRian

Post Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:11 pm

shonky wrote:First time I've heard of this solution - can I use this if I don't own any NI hardware gear or is it purely for the Kontrol series keyboards?
fmr wrote:You can use it without any hardware (and/or with ANY hardware controller, to be more precise).
yep, you don't need to own the KK controllers to use it (i don't have one, though i would like to). actually, not sure if it's free for everyone, or just users of certain NI products (? i have Maschine and Komplete). i think anyone can download it from their site. don't know if it needs to be registered via NI Service Center though, if one doesn't already have that set up.

i really like the KK plug-in, i think i'll be using it more often. nice for setting up custom macro control pages, though it's lacking in some ways. no ability to link several parameters to one knob, or by percentage. it's sort of a "NI Kore Lite", but very lite in that sense. has a pretty good built-in arpeggiator and a scale/chord feature, as well as nice/easy preset mapping. it's mainly designed to host NI and NKS compatible plug-ins, but works with 3rd party VSTs as well.

i really wish they'd include the macro abilities that i mentioned above, and a Reaktor-style interface for chaining VSTs together (like MUX, Freestyle, etc) would make it absolutely amazing. not sure why they don't do this.

zerocrossing
KVRAF
9923 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:22 am

Kind of just found out about this one. Very nice... but woah, that CPU load can be brutal. Also, why ignore basic controllers like expression and pressure/aftertouch on a commercial plug in? I'll pick it up if they add those.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

jbuonacc
KVRian

Post Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:31 am

zerocrossing wrote:Kind of just found out about this one. Very nice... but woah, that CPU load can be brutal.
just grab the Komplete Kontrol software, you'll be glad you did. unless you don't own anything else by NI?
Also, why ignore basic controllers like expression and pressure/aftertouch on a commercial plug in? I'll pick it up if they add those.
man, for some reason i don't think you really need these features as much as you think you do. maybe just focus on what the stuff can do for once?

zerocrossing
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:34 am

jbuonacc wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Kind of just found out about this one. Very nice... but woah, that CPU load can be brutal.
just grab the Komplete Kontrol software, you'll be glad you did. unless you don't own anything else by NI?
Also, why ignore basic controllers like expression and pressure/aftertouch on a commercial plug in? I'll pick it up if they add those.
man, for some reason i don't think you really need these features as much as you think you do. maybe just focus on what the stuff can do for once?
I'm a Maschine and Komplete owner, so I will try that. I just saw you post about it on GS. Still though, the dev should sort that out.

For those who don't use things like aftertouch, it's hard to explain, but imagine if you could only speak at a single volume or tone. You could still focus on what you can do, say a lot of words, but a lot of nuance would be lost, especially if you're like me and love sarcasm. :hihi: Yeah, I get that there's a TON of movement and what not that can be achieved with a well fortified modulation monster like this synth, but the ability to influence those modulators in real time is... well I can't sell it to you if you're not into it, but it's amazing. Also, what I'm asking for is part of the MIDI standard. Hell, it's been on synths since the 70s. It's not like I'm asking for anything weird or esoteric.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

jc_vt
KVRian
729 posts since 27 May, 2012 from Vermont, USA

Post Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:40 am

I like it a lot as is, but agree those additions would make it better

zerocrossing
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:59 pm

Tried running it in Maschine. At least now I'm not getting those crazy CPU spikes, but I'm getting an awful lot of snap crackle pop for a commercial plug in that's been out for 10 months. Seems to be UI related... it gets better if I shut down the interface, though, I'm not sure why, but if I use my Roli as a controller I still get a lot of pops regardless. Nice concept, but seems like it's not fully out of beta yet.
Zerocrossing Media

ZeePok
KVRian
1137 posts since 22 Aug, 2004 from Edge City, the Low Country

Post Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:58 am

zerocrossing wrote:Kind of just found out about this one. Very nice... but woah, that CPU load can be brutal. Also, why ignore basic controllers like expression and pressure/aftertouch on a commercial plug in? I'll pick it up if they add those.

And also Sustain Pedal is still implemented very poorly. Pressing SP 'holds' the sequencer and the 'motions' of the waveforms . :(

jbuonacc
KVRian

Post Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:55 am

zerocrossing wrote:?.. I'm getting an awful lot of snap crackle pop ...
Haven't experienced this here.

shonky
KVRian

Post Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Noticed that Thomann is currently selling this at 30% off - can anyone tell me if the subsequent updates have dealt with the CPU issues in Ableton or are these still a problem. Have upgraded my PC recently to an i7 but still a concern if it's going to be too much of a CPU hog (tried the demo a while ago and so can't test the newer version AFAIK).

wagtunes
KVRAF
18155 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:50 pm

shonky wrote:Noticed that Thomann is currently selling this at 30% off - can anyone tell me if the subsequent updates have dealt with the CPU issues in Ableton or are these still a problem. Have upgraded my PC recently to an i7 but still a concern if it's going to be too much of a CPU hog (tried the demo a while ago and so can't test the newer version AFAIK).
You should be fine. I upgraded my PC to an I7 as well and have no problems with anything except Lush 101 when I try to use all 8 layers and play pads. That's a killer. LOL.

Seriously, with an I7, Wiggle is a piece of cake.

shonky
KVRian

Post Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:54 pm

wagtunes wrote:
shonky wrote:Noticed that Thomann is currently selling this at 30% off - can anyone tell me if the subsequent updates have dealt with the CPU issues in Ableton or are these still a problem. Have upgraded my PC recently to an i7 but still a concern if it's going to be too much of a CPU hog (tried the demo a while ago and so can't test the newer version AFAIK).
You should be fine. I upgraded my PC to an I7 as well and have no problems with anything except Lush 101 when I try to use all 8 layers and play pads. That's a killer. LOL.

Seriously, with an I7, Wiggle is a piece of cake.
Cheers Wags. Wiggle was kinda off the radar for me for a while and then saw this deal and it rekindled my interest. Yeah, Lush is rather high maintenance in that respect but lovely sound so I can allow it for now :wink:

quietzone
KVRist
268 posts since 19 Jun, 2019

Post Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:09 am

VSTbuzz has this for $19.28 for the next 5 days.

I'm on the fence with this one. Looks pretty interesting for sound design.

How is it playing with recent DAW versions? I know Wiggle hasn't been updated since 2017, but have new DAW updates changed the CPU performance situation of Wiggle for better or worse?

Return to “Instruments”