Softube Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Multiphonics CV-2 Reaktor Softube Modular

fmr wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:23 am
martinjuenke wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:55 am To make a long comment story short:
"Other modulars sound worse, but I can work better with them, therefore I use the worse sounding modulars."
Well, not my cup of tea obviously...
This "sound worse" thing seems to me like a mistfication. I don't think that, for example, the Vult modules sound so much worse (this is just an example, I could give you more). And a modular, by concept, is something where you build your own sound. It would be pretty stupid (IMO of course) to have a modular to recreate a Minimoog or something of the kind. Yet, if you don't count the (severely overpriced) two Buchla replicas, the Mutable Instruments (which are just three) and the Intellijel, the rest is basically bread and butter. I really don't care how "good" they sound - they will sound like thousands of things we already have.

The modules that come from the 72 or the 84 may sound wonderful (I don't know and I don't care), but what else do they bring to the table?

Personally, that's not what I want a modular for.
Even the bread and butter modules sound better than almost anything else (except maybe P900).

There is nothing really stopping anybody from using more than one system. I use more than one synth, modular or not.

fmr wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:23 am
martinjuenke wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:55 am To make a long comment story short:
"Other modulars sound worse, but I can work better with them, therefore I use the worse sounding modulars."
Well, not my cup of tea obviously...
This "sound worse" thing seems to me like a mistfication. I don't think that, for example, the Vult modules sound so much worse (this is just an example, I could give you more). And a modular, by concept, is something where you build your own sound. It would be pretty stupid (IMO of course) to have a modular to recreate a Minimoog or something of the kind. Yet, if you don't count the (severely overpriced) two Buchla replicas, the Mutable Instruments (which are just three) and the Intellijel, the rest is basically bread and butter. I really don't care how "good" they sound - they will sound like thousands of things we already have.

The modules that come from the 72 or the 84 may sound wonderful (I don't know and I don't care), but what else do they bring to the table?

Personally, that's not what I want a modular for.
I don’t think anyone’s creating a Minimoog with their modular stuff… unless it’s a Voyager… or a Voyager with four LFOs and 6 EGs. See where I’m going with that? Modular can be a playground to build experimental stuff, no one denies that, but why couldn’t it also be for constructing “what if” synths? One of my go-to Reaktor Blocks creations is basically a Minimoog… but the third oscillator is a Waldorf wavetable and there’s a second formant filter.

I used to use Voltage Modular a lot, because it did offer a ton of options for experimentation at a low CPU load. Reaktor is good, but I would often run out of CPU cycles just when things were getting interesting. Once I upgraded my PC, I found that I wasn’t running out of CPU cycles and things that used to choke my system now ran comfortably. I found myself not using Voltage Modular all that much, so I sold off my collection (except for the Year One bundle… which no one seems to want…) and bought Softube Modular and most of the modules. Is there a ton of module options? Nope, but what’s there is high quality. I hope Softube keeps up with the development of instruments because they’re great and they work as modules inside Modular.

These are just instruments. Tools/toys to enjoy and make music with. If something doesn’t work for you, move on. Maybe a Minimoog with a Juno filter isn’t enough to get you excited, but it might just be what makes your music sound a bit different. The Voltage Modular collection is great. I had tons of fun using the Polymode in ways that no PolyMoog could ever be used.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:12 pm These are just instruments. Tools/toys to enjoy and make music with. If something doesn’t work for you, move on. Maybe a Minimoog with a Juno filter isn’t enough to get you excited, but it might just be what makes your music sound a bit different. The Voltage Modular collection is great. I had tons of fun using the Polymode in ways that no PolyMoog could ever be used.
Don't get me wrong... That is also a valid perspective, I don't deny that. But for that I already have DIVA - no need for modular. I love DIVA concept of "mix'n match", where I can assemble a "Minimog with a Juno filter" easily and I hope Urs keep adding to that. It's much better than assembling that in a modular.

But I agree, having options is good, of course. That way, everybody's happy in the end :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:29 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:12 pm These are just instruments. Tools/toys to enjoy and make music with. If something doesn’t work for you, move on. Maybe a Minimoog with a Juno filter isn’t enough to get you excited, but it might just be what makes your music sound a bit different. The Voltage Modular collection is great. I had tons of fun using the Polymode in ways that no PolyMoog could ever be used.
Don't get me wrong... That is also a valid perspective, I don't deny that. But for that I already have DIVA - no need for modular. I love DIVA concept of "mix'n match", where I can assemble a "Minimog with a Juno filter" easily and I hope Urs keep adding to that. It's much better than assembling that in a modular.

But I agree, having options is good, of course. That way, everybody's happy in the end :tu:
Softube modular is very different and better sounding than DIVA.

perpetual3 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:24 pm

Different... absolutely - one is a modular, where you have to patch everything, while the other you load the module and... BANG. Better sounding... That's your opinion, not mine. That we can achieve what's being discussed (a Minimoog with a Juno filter)... Undeniable.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

I don't really agree.
I mean, i have full modular and Model '72, but by the time you can make Modular load and sound good you've made a whole song with DIVA.
And while Model '72 is imo a little better at being Moog than dive, often when i use Model '72 i recreate the sound in Diva and use that instead due to sheer reliability and the fact that you can turn analog shit off and make it consistent when you need it consistent.

Ploki wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:55 pm

I don't really agree.
I mean, i have full modular and Model '72, but by the time you can make Modular load and sound good you've made a whole song with DIVA.
And while Model '72 is imo a little better at being Moog than dive, often when i use Model '72 i recreate the sound in Diva and use that instead due to sheer reliability and the fact that you can turn analog shit off and make it consistent when you need it consistent.
Certainly DIVA is more convenient. But as far a sheer sonic quality is concerned, my opinion is that Softube sounds better. Modular workflow is indeed painful, also in my opinion.

fmr wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:49 pm

Different... absolutely - one is a modular, where you have to patch everything, while the other you load the module and... BANG. Better sounding... That's your opinion, not mine. That we can achieve what's being discussed (a Minimoog with a Juno filter)... Undeniable.
Of course it’s my opinion. That goes without saying I would think.

Now I'm imagining what it would be like if u-he built a software modular system. I know they have ACE and Bazille, but I mean a proper modular system. I'm sure they don't have time to even think about attempting something like this, but you just know they'd do it better than anyone else.
Stormchild

Yeah, Diva is great, but the quality is not on par with Softube modular, but for most poly stuff, it’s not an issue. Only two LFOs and two EGs is a drag too. I hope Urs finds some time after Zebra 3 to do a big Diva update with some new modules, more modulation and an Ultra Devine mode.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

perpetual3 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:06 pm

I don't really agree.
Certainly DIVA is more convenient. But as far a sheer sonic quality is concerned, my opinion is that Softube sounds better. Modular workflow is indeed painful, also in my opinion.
It’s not just opinion. It’s a fact. Diva limits bandwidth when doing things like filter FM which makes it sound different than any analog. RePro doesn’t, and you can clearly hear it. It’s quality is on par with the Softube emulations. Diva’s older, so it’s designed for a different min spec machine, and they gave it a lot of voices.
Zerocrossing Media

I don't really agree.
When I first brought up the idea of using a modular plugin to design your own dream synths, I didn’t just mean putting different filters, oscillators together. I also meant maybe having dual filters in a stereo setup, and having 4 envelopes, etc. Diva has a pretty cool modulation modifier system (though the UX is idiotic) but you can’t beat having a third envelope sometimes. A lot of my bass sounds use a third envelope to give the attack some kick. That’s a no-go with Diva.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:16 am When I first brought up the idea of using a modular plugin to design your own dream synths, I didn’t just mean putting different filters, oscillators together. I also meant maybe having dual filters in a stereo setup, and having 4 envelopes, etc. Diva has a pretty cool modulation modifier system (though the UX is idiotic) but you can’t beat having a third envelope sometimes. A lot of my bass sounds use a third envelope to give the attack some kick. That’s a no-go with Diva.
3rd envelope is more Zebra domain (or even bazille)

I agree tho, and i wanted to love softube modular so many times, but UX just isn't thought out well imo

my 2 cents. i own all the specific modules, and the reverbs, the tube delay, and the model 72, and parallels..
for softube modular, the specific modules, even the overexpensive buchla's, but are they? i use them a lot.

the sound is excellent, the texture, the richness, is great. you don't need to have many modules to create great sounds.

the workflow can indeed be better, but i don't mind anymore, o well sometimes, the results are so good, that o well.

but also Voltage Modular (bought a lot), Reaktor (bought a lot, block paks..) are great in their own way.

Reaktor can rival in soundquality.

Voltage Modular has more diversity, and can create evenly rich sounds.
Voltage Modular the sound yes, but the sound for me, personal is quite different, and not in bad way.

for some things i must, or will use Softube modular. i created a lot with it. and still can be overwhelmed by the results.

i don't mind the low module count... because it drives me to use what is available, and the 4ms stuff, etc. etc. well enough to experiment, enough adventure for a bandwidth of sounds.

the model 72, brings some nice stuff with it, and parallels, mostly for me, the modulation. also the oscillator can perform... but didn't use it much, yet.

Ploki wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:11 am
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:16 am When I first brought up the idea of using a modular plugin to design your own dream synths, I didn’t just mean putting different filters, oscillators together. I also meant maybe having dual filters in a stereo setup, and having 4 envelopes, etc. Diva has a pretty cool modulation modifier system (though the UX is idiotic) but you can’t beat having a third envelope sometimes. A lot of my bass sounds use a third envelope to give the attack some kick. That’s a no-go with Diva.
3rd envelope is more Zebra domain (or even bazille)

I agree tho, and i wanted to love softube modular so many times, but UX just isn't thought out well imo
Yeah, the UI needs an overhaul, but I got used to it.
Zerocrossing Media

Return to “Instruments”