Xhun Audio LittleOne : version 4.x Released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
432 posts since 10 Jan, 2008

Post Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:09 pm

xhunaudio wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:55 pm
IronAxe unfortunately is not one of the next issues. It needs the time it deserves, I can't shorten its development.
I absolutely agree that it deserves your attention and commitment. If it's not the next thing in your pipeline, I'm curious what you're up to...
I also want to evaluate the best *format* for its issue, since I think in the next future precompiled plugins will be replaced by somthing different. Precompiled plugins are still a great thing, but this doesn't mean we can't move further.
Well, can't decode what you're talking about... :?

KVRian

Topic Starter

865 posts since 17 Feb, 2010

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:45 am

Too much cryptic indeed... :)

But 1 url worth 1000 words :

https://soul.dev/

This would avoid all the system incompatibilities, maintenance updates, "developer programs" subscriptions and various headaches the Pro Audio development don't really deserve.
Last edited by xhunaudio on Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Facebook || Instagram

KVRian
1057 posts since 30 Mar, 2008 from MN, USA

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:36 am

xhunaudio wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:45 am
Too cryptic indeed... :)

But 1 url worth 1000 words :

https://soul.dev/

This would avoid all the system incompatibilities, maintenance updates, "developer programs" subscriptions and various headaches the Pro Audio development don't really deserve.
I've been interested in this since Jules announced it. Conceptually it's a great idea. However, he oversells the state of the DSP market. Yes, everyone has DSPs, and those work great for the simplistic demos in his keynote. But almost none of them have enough power to do the number crunching that CPU-intensive plugins would require, even taking into account that DSPs are far more efficient at doing audio tasks. For example, almost none of them could compile and run a moderately complex Reaktor synth. Consumer DSPs do not have the power of a UA coprocessor.

Thus to make SOUL practical, we need more powerful generic DSPs commonly available. However, this is a big chicken-egg problem. No one wants to work on SOUL because there are no such powerful DSPs generally available, and no one wants to market such generic DSPs because there is not enough code to run on them.

There is the possibility of running SOUL in kernel space. But that's never going to happen on Apple device, and is a huge security risk, given that despite all assurances, you are creating an API where arbitrary DSP code will run with kernel privileges. That's ripe for abuse, and abuse would certainly happen.

So that leaves the JIT compiling code to run in user space on the CPU, and thus it offers no advantages over a traditional plugin. Unless there are industry alliances made to mass produce sufficiently powerful DSP hardware for use with SOUL, it's not going anywhere (and note: It's been over three years since Jules demoed the framework). And that makes me sad.

KVRist
432 posts since 10 Jan, 2008

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:39 pm

For now, we should just enjoy exploring LO4 which is obviously there - demo and upgrade as well :hyper:

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:28 pm

@teilo :
Hi, SOUL can be processed by CPUs (at native+ C++ speed) as well as FPGAs and DSPs, GPUs, etc... In any case you have a true *universal* "plugin" format, it would be great if this (or similar concept) will be the next Standard.

About LittleOne, for existing Customers the Upgrade button can be accessed from the User Area. I spent the latest few hours fixing some unexpected minor bug on the website :oops:

Now everything should be working fine. For any unexpected behaviour, just let me know.

KVRian
972 posts since 12 Jan, 2013 from Foolish Shepherd

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:52 pm

Upgrade price for 29.99€ you can find on Jrr shop Little one on sale for 19.99$.

Is it just GUI upgrade?

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:45 pm

@Amram:
New GUI, new RC and analogue integrator circuits for Oscillators, new Seq and Tgate timing control (CLK-MM01).

Exactly, selected 3rd party Dealers/Resellers benefit from a *first week*, time-limited special offer. After that, the upgrade price will back to 29.00 USD.

Direct upgrade from Xhun Audio User Area generally requires less time and, for the first week, the new Four Aces Expansion is offered as a gift / homage.
Last edited by xhunaudio on Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRian

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:01 pm

xhunaudio wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:45 pm
@Amram:
New GUI, new RC and analogue integrator circuits for Oscillators, new Seq and Tgate timing control (CLK-MM01).

Sounds good

KVRian
845 posts since 8 Jan, 2012 from frankfurt, Germany

Post Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:23 pm

Amram wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:52 pm
Upgrade price for 29.99€ you can find on Jrr shop Little one on sale for 19.99$.

Is it just GUI upgrade?
can't find it on jrrr has anyone a link ?

KVRAF
2450 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:08 am

Where is it $19? Jrrshop has it for $69 and Xhun has it for 49 euros.

KVRian

Post Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:27 am

sacer wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:23 pm
Amram wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:52 pm

Is it just GUI upgrade?
can't find it on jrrr has anyone a link ?
Not now
When there is a sale.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:51 am

Ok, sorry for my delay but there's a lot to handle here in the steam room !

Here're a few omissions, something I forgot to mention (the full detailed offer will be published soon on KVRAudio Deals section too) :

1-
for the first week, by upgrading to LittleOne ver 4.0 from Xhun Audio User Area, the new Four Aces Expansion (a soundbank of 68 new presets) is included as a gift / homage.

2-
as mentioned before, there's the new Four Aces Expansion available with 68 presets taking advantage of the new features like the Sequencer clock timing control (triplet/swing).

3-
when upgrading LittleOne to version 4.x, please remember to replace all factory presets and all presets from the commercial expansions with the new ones, provided as a free download from the User Area.

KVRian

Post Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:49 am

all my projects in ableton live don't work, every preset i used is overwritten - can you fix it ? i don't know which preset or tweaking i have used and i used littleone in a lot of ableton projects - it would be a lot of work, to work with a vst3 on 3.7 to see which preset was used than i would have to rebuild each parameters to vst2 on 4.02 and then finally to switch back to vst3 4.02 with the right parameters. Can't you transfer the safed daw parameters back to V4 ?

KVRian

Post Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:05 am

it's more buggy - when i switch to the right preset back in ableton and save and open the the project again, than nothing has been saved and it plays some wired preset again. Also there is no preset name shown, so i don't know how to switch some presets back, if i don't know the name.
There was only one solution, to remove the plugin in ableton and to open a new instance, only than the preset would be saved.

So version 4.02 feels like an early beta state

KVRian
878 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Post Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:13 am

Just installed so I don't have much to say yet. However, one thing I immediately noticed is that GUI sizes of 1.25x and/or 1.5x would be useful. 1x is slightly too small for my taste, but 2x is ginormous.

Return to “Instruments”