PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
stardustmedia
KVRAF
1638 posts since 12 Dec, 2012 from Switzerland

Post Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:49 pm

No, definitely no extra effects. We all have already shitloads of them in other plugins :D

I always turn them off.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

DuX
KVRAF
3630 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Underworld

Re: PG-8X (2.0) released

Post Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:08 pm

I always turn them off, too, unless they sound really good, which they rarely do. I prefer synth developers to focus on the sound quality without any effects, preferably. It's harder to assess the quality of sound if it's drenched in chorus>delay>reverb>whatever.

Is it so hard to just put a simple delay or whatever plugin after PG-8X if you need it? I suppose you have a DAW that is flexible and you can create whole chains of FX and save them all together. That's how it's always been done and it's the best way to do it AFAIK.

Just a couple of clicks with a mouse and you have a PG-8X with a delay. Pure magic. :hihi: And no programming skills needed. :tu:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

stardustmedia
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:33 pm

I can see some benefits, at least with Logic, where internal are helpful. In low latency mode, not all 3rd party plugins work due to too much latency they get bypassed. Also sends get disabled. In such a case internal FX can be helpful, so check the sound with some FX.

In few cases I use that, but afterwards I turn the FX off anyway. Plugins without internal FX, I just use Logic stock plugins. They don't get disabled in Low Latency mode.

egbert101
KVRAF
2074 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:18 am

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
No rest for the wicked.

martin_l
KVRian
937 posts since 27 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:21 am

egbert101 wrote:
DuX wrote: Is it so hard to just put a simple delay or whatever plugin after PG-8X if you need it?
Apparently so...
I agree that the PG-8X (as well as the JX-8P) sounds much better with a delay or reverb on it, but still stick to idea that (as with the hardware) you can add your own plugins to it. I also don't really see the point to include all sorts of effects in emulations, in particular, if the hardware did not have them.

Furthermore, adding an internal effect now would make it difficult to keep backwards compatibility with patches, and projects which use the plugin.

Cheers,
Martin

stardustmedia
KVRAF

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:29 am

martin_l wrote:
egbert101 wrote:
DuX wrote: Is it so hard to just put a simple delay or whatever plugin after PG-8X if you need it?
Apparently so...
I agree that the PG-8X (as well as the JX-8P) sounds much better with a delay or reverb on it, but still stick to idea that (as with the hardware) you can add your own plugins to it. I also don't really see the point to include all sorts of effects in emulations, in particular, if the hardware did not have them.

Furthermore, adding an internal effect now would make it difficult to keep backwards compatibility with patches, and projects which use the plugin.

Cheers,
Martin
Yeah, you better focus your skills into AU :love:

PS: How much do we need to donate, to fasten the progress of AU? :tu:

egbert101
KVRAF
2074 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:34 am

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
No rest for the wicked.

braj
KVRAF
9090 posts since 5 Feb, 2004

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:24 am

martin_l wrote:

Cheers,
Martin
Thanks for taking the time to respond Martin.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Pummelfee
KVRer
4 posts since 17 Nov, 2017

Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:40 am

Hello,

meanwhile i am just a occational musician, but once i owned lots of analog gear, like Roland synths. So i am very happy to see this synth emulation. But is there a chance to make it work in Garageband? I reduced my audio stuff to the limit so i have no other options to sequence a vst with Garageband?

Thank you!!!

braj
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:00 am

Pummelfee wrote:Hello,

meanwhile i am just a occational musician, but once i owned lots of analog gear, like Roland synths. So i am very happy to see this synth emulation. But is there a chance to make it work in Garageband? I reduced my audio stuff to the limit so i have no other options to sequence a vst with Garageband?

Thank you!!!
I have no idea if this works well, but it looks like what you need is a Audio Unit wrapper for VSTs, this one is free:

https://syntheway.com/VSTAU.htm
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Pummelfee
KVRer

Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:57 am

Thank you!
I tried to wrap the vst in an au with this app but GB does not see it... Any other options?

braj
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:08 am

Pummelfee wrote:Thank you!
I tried to wrap the vst in an au with this app but GB does not see it... Any other options?
I'm not on a Mac so I can't check, but did you look into how to install AU plugins?

This looks current:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... ageband-x/

Pummelfee
KVRer

Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:29 am

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
OK, now things getting strange. GB shows me all the other Audio Units i have installed (also the Tyrell...) but this PG-8x is hiding.
EDIT:
I even tried this (trashing tha caches and prefs)...:
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... arageband/ (https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/my-newly-installed-plug-in-isnt-showing-up-in-garageband/)
No Luck...

Pummelfee
KVRer

Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:57 am

It seem PG-8x is fully incompatible with GarageBand. I re-installed it, but all Plug-Ins are shown, but not the PG-8x. it would be nice if the developer would consider to make it compatible someday. :-)

Spitfire31
KVRAF
2761 posts since 18 May, 2003 from Sweden

Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:53 am

Well, since there is no AU version of PG-8X, of course it's not compatible with an AU only host such as GB.

Unfortunately, I don't think that anybody ever made a robust Mac VST>AU wrapper. The Apple apps (GB and Logic) are very finicky with AUs following rules and regulations exactly… ;-)

I thought I'd cook up some workaround using the Mac standalone app version of PG-8X, but I can't get it to work, just won't receive MIDI in exactly the same config I use for Live 9. This is on Mac OS 10.9.5.

Further, I thought I'd better update to the latest Mac VST, _2.0.13, but it sounds horrible in Live – drifting in pitch like a 1976 cassette recorder. What happened with that? VST _2.0.12 sounds just fine…

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Return to “Instruments”