PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12004 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:59 am

HoRNet wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Hornet also offers a chorus plugin that seems to emulate the old Roland chorus. Not sure about how authentic it is, though.

https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-chorus60/
Our Chorus 60 is modelled after the schematic of a Juno60, using circuit simulation to understand the interaction between components.

Saverio
Just tried it again after a long time. I thought something was wrong about your chorus the first time I tested it, and unfortunately I still think there is.
It doesn't sound the way it should, compared with the Tal chorus. The Tal sounds increasingly lush, when you step thru steps 1, 2, and 1+2. On your chorus 1+2 sounds the thinnest to my ears. Both stages 1 and 2 alone sound much better.
Three also seems to be something wrong with the oversampling, it seams to make the chorus sound worse rather than better. It seems to reduce the lushness or width, hard to describe.

Also, the LFO waves are too strong, one can hear the turnaround point of each wave, which is not the case with the Tal.

davidvilla
KVRer
4 posts since 29 Nov, 2009

Re: PG-8X (2.0) released

Post Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:56 pm

I've got to agree with fluffy on this - everything he said is exactly what I noticed. The most noticeable thing to me is that Chorus 60 is nowhere near as lush and thick as the other Juno emulations. It's especially noticeable when you take Tal UNOLX for example, disable the chorus and enable Chorus 60 - sound is way off. I compared it to Roland's Cloud version of the Juno too - same thing. Chorus60 is different, and in a less lush/rich type of way. And yeah, I agree with the oversampling thing too - it actually makes it sound thinner.

Oblivion SoundLab's free chorus is more Juno-y, and my preferred Juno chorus emulation.

Autobot
KVRian
512 posts since 27 Mar, 2013

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:55 am

Oh I wasn't aware that the chorus of PG-8X is a Juno one ... It sound nevertheless different than other choruses ...
I grew up on a junkyard, where I started to feed from hubcaps and bumpers

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:57 am

davidvilla wrote:I've got to agree with fluffy on this - everything he said is exactly what I noticed. The most noticeable thing to me is that Chorus 60 is nowhere near as lush and thick as the other Juno emulations. It's especially noticeable when you take Tal UNOLX for example, disable the chorus and enable Chorus 60 - sound is way off. I compared it to Roland's Cloud version of the Juno too - same thing. Chorus60 is different, and in a less lush/rich type of way. And yeah, I agree with the oversampling thing too - it actually makes it sound thinner.

Oblivion SoundLab's free chorus is more Juno-y, and my preferred Juno chorus emulation.
I hope he reads this (when different people notice the same things, there must be something to it) and fixes his plugin :wink:

CapnLockheed
KVRAF
2195 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Central NY

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:09 pm

Of course even if he doesn't one can just use Tal's chorus with it aye? :wink:
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

http://www.fandalism.com/cristofe

martin_l
KVRian
937 posts since 27 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:09 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
davidvilla wrote:I've got to agree with fluffy on this - everything he said is exactly what I noticed. The most noticeable thing to me is that Chorus 60 is nowhere near as lush and thick as the other Juno emulations. It's especially noticeable when you take Tal UNOLX for example, disable the chorus and enable Chorus 60 - sound is way off. I compared it to Roland's Cloud version of the Juno too - same thing. Chorus60 is different, and in a less lush/rich type of way. And yeah, I agree with the oversampling thing too - it actually makes it sound thinner.

I hope he reads this (when different people notice the same things, there must be something to it) and fixes his plugin :wink:
Are you addressing me here or TAL?

evilantal
KVRian
802 posts since 13 Mar, 2008 from Arnhem, Netherlands

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:06 am

martin_l wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:

Are you addressing me here or TAL?
Probably Saverio (HoRNet)...
Demo work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com
Music for media: http://www.myendlessy.com

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:55 am

martin_l wrote:Are you addressing me here or TAL?
I meant Hornet.
But I also reported a bug regarding your synth earlier on...

martin_l
KVRian

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:13 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:In Mulab, when I open the synth and click on the preset name in order to change it, Mulab crashes.

Sorry, I don't have Mulab, and can't reproduce this. Do you know whether there is a trial version I could use to try it. I never noticed any crash with reaper.

Do you have any further crash log?

Cheers,
Martin

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:24 am

Sure, Mulab is actually free if you don't mind the track-limit. You can download it from the MuTools site, it is a small download and there is nothing to install, just run.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:33 am

Forgot that I bought Reaper in the meantime, just redownloaded your synth and tried it in Reaper, no crash like the one in Mulab :tu:

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:16 am

Is the noise on higher octaves in line with the hardware? Might be related to the envelopes...

EvilDragon
KVRAF
16903 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:17 am

Yeah the original can have some bleed between oscillators, depending on how you keytrack stuff.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:33 am

Not sure it has to do with that. Just recorded this from a modified init patch, only one oscillator. One can hear the strong woosh-like sound when using long filter env attack and release settings:
https://app.box.com/s/cajyms5j183pqz51dyt5z4bjfsfzop61

martin_l
KVRian

Post Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:45 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:Not sure it has to do with that. Just recorded this from a modified init patch, only one oscillator. One can hear the strong woosh-like sound when using long filter env attack and release settings:
https://app.box.com/s/cajyms5j183pqz51dyt5z4bjfsfzop61
Have a look in the settings. There is a knob for 'Filter Noise'. But I can tell you that this noise it part of the hardware sound (at least on my JX-8P). Anyway, if it is too much for your taste, turn it down.

Cheers,
Martin

Return to “Instruments”