Splice rent to own Serum plan, what do you think?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There is a new update for Serum today from Splice service, which was straightforward to install :P

musikmachine wrote:Can't figure out how to install the fx version, just got an fx update in downloads which doesn't do anything. My actual expression: :?
I see 6 different downloads, the 2 top ones tagged "FX ONLY!!", for Win and Mac.
The Win installer (I have no Mac) worked just like the normal Serum installer.

Current one I just downloaded is named "Install_Xfer_SerumFX_Update_111b2b.exe".

Windows 10 did show a Windows SmartScreen message preventing the installer from running at first.
Maybe either Windows security or a antivirus blocked your install?

pottering wrote:
musikmachine wrote:Can't figure out how to install the fx version, just got an fx update in downloads which doesn't do anything. My actual expression: :?
I see 6 different downloads, the 2 top ones tagged "FX ONLY!!", for Win and Mac.

Current one I just downloaded is named "Install_Xfer_SerumFX_Update_111b2b.exe".

Windows 10 did show a Windows SmartScreen message preventing the installer from running at first.
Yes as pottering said:
It says in the readme (click "Read More"):
"NEW USERS: If you have not installed the demo already: install v1.0 or the demo first, then run this update installer second!"

So, you have to install the base first, then the updates for the synth and FX. If Windows shows the protection screen, click "More Info", then click "Run Anyway".

Not that anyone cares, but there were enough cool sounds I created this past weekend with Serum for me to start paying for it.

This is a really good synth, as a wise man mentioned earlier it's meant for midrange things, and for that it is excellent.

Btw, not one cent of my credit card was charged until after the three day demo period. This site is reliable, or at least it has been for me.
Ha ha suck it!

Well, the two developers I have contacted said they would look into it and consider it :) This is great IMO, because they might do something similar if not joining in Splice.

I really don't feel a burden with such a plan, especially if I get such piece of quality :D

EnGee wrote:
pottering wrote:

Yes as pottering said:
It says in the readme (click "Read More"):
"NEW USERS: If you have not installed the demo already: install v1.0 or the demo first, then run this update installer second!"

So, you have to install the base first, then the updates for the synth and FX. If Windows shows the protection screen, click "More Info", then click "Run Anyway".
So to clarify i install 1.0 over the splice version i installed then the updates?

That 1.0 info isn't included at the top, i probably wouldn't have noticed it if you guys hadn't told me, maybe Steve can update for Splice users.

Anyway what do y'all Splicers make of Serum so far? :)
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Apostate wrote:Not that anyone cares, but there were enough cool sounds I created this past weekend with Serum for me to start paying for it.

This is a really good synth, as a wise man mentioned earlier it's meant for midrange things, and for that it is excellent.

Btw, not one cent of my credit card was charged until after the three day demo period. This site is reliable, or at least it has been for me.
:) It was Steve's passion that largely sold me, the active development and promise of free updates.

First thing i did was get some wavetables in there, the factory ones i think add to the overall impression of it being sterile but the filters are a little too clean as well, easily fixed with the drop and soundtoys for adding a little dirt...

Matt from Splice here, we are working on making SerumFX available in your plugin list on the Splice website. It should be much easier to install this addon, I expect the feature to pass QA and be deployed sometime today or tomorrow.

Note that SerumFX is included with the Splice Rent-to-Own offer and as long as your plan is active, you can use the FX plugin at no extra cost.

I would also want to mention that we are staying up to date with this thread and taking notes of the things we can improve. Thanks a lot for the valuable feedback.

mattetti wrote:Matt from Splice here, we are working on making SerumFX available in your plugin list on the Splice website. It should be much easier to install this addon, I expect the feature to pass QA and be deployed sometime today or tomorrow.

Note that SerumFX is included with the Splice Rent-to-Own offer and as long as your plan is active, you can use the FX plugin at no extra cost.

I would also want to mention that we are staying up to date with this thread and taking notes of the things we can improve. Thanks a lot for the valuable feedback.
I'm sold. The three day grace period had a lot to do with, because I owned Serum once and basically just wanted to try it out again (after months and months of studying synthesis in general).

The three days was perfect, the last night I went ahead and started payments.
Ha ha suck it!

mattetti wrote:Matt from Splice here, we are working on making SerumFX available in your plugin list on the Splice website. It should be much easier to install this addon, I expect the feature to pass QA and be deployed sometime today or tomorrow.

Hey Matt, thanks for updating will wait for that update. Can i just install beta updates from Xfer on top of that version and can Serum be added to my other Xfer account now or when Serum is paid off? Thanks!

I just want to update/explain things about the Splice service. As I read in the website, it looks first for specific hosts, mainly Ableton Live and FL Studio (also Logic). After it spots the host, it begin to "scan" the projects of that host, actually every single project includes tutorials of Ableton, demos, .... etc. Not only in My Documents\Ableton (in my case), but in other locations such Program Data folder.

The reason of this scan is to make it ready to sync with your account in Splice to prepare it for publishing (the original function of Splice). The problem is IMO the scan was not done well. It doesn't ask you for permission in the start and it doesn't show the path of scanning (think like a search function or antivirus scan when they show the whole path of the files during the scan, updated with time till it gives an indication that it is done!

Now, I found a solution to stop the scan. I uninstalled Ableton Live and traced all the projects scanned (by right clicking the scanned projects in the service window and showing them in windows explorer) and delete the source folder!

I hope a future update will address these issues :)

musikmachine wrote:Hey Matt, thanks for updating will wait for that update. Can i just install beta updates from Xfer on top of that version and can Serum be added to my other Xfer account now or when Serum is paid off? Thanks!
Your_Plugins__VST__AU____Splice.png
SerumFX is now available to people on the trial/plan.

You can install the beta updates from Xfer on top of the version we deliver via Splice. We distribute the exact same version, there isn't a Splice specific version of the plugin. No need to reinstall when you pay off the plugin. Note however that the Serum updates are available straight from the Splice application as a one click updater button (so you don't have to monitor the Serum forum).

When you make your first payment against your rent-to-own Serum, your xfer account is updated to have access to the Serum forum and installers. If you don't have an account, we create one for your using your splice email address, however you have to reset your password on xfer to access the account. This is because all Splice passwords are hashed/encrypted and we don't have access to them so we obviously can't set your password on Steve's site. Note also that if you pause, cancel or fail to pay your plan, you will lose access to the forum/downloads until you resume your plan or pay off Serum.

I have to admit that until you guys asked about SerumFX, I didn't really play with it (sorry Steve), but it's a really cool addon and I am going to spend more time thinking about creative ways to use it.

In regards to the initial scan of projects, after reading your comments, we are working on various optimizations and hope to have an update soon. We are a very small team of very passionate people and I can't tell you how happy I am to see this thread being already 23 pages long. Haters gonna hate and we all know that KVR has its share of haters, but you guys have been awesome.

Someone suggested a different thread with a poll to know what plugins you'd love to see a RtO, I think that's a good idea. To be honest, we first want to see how things got with Serum but it's very interesting for plugin developers and us to know what you, our audience care to see happen. At the end of the day, our goal is to make you happy and unleash your creativity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

acYm wrote:well it never bothered me because like I said, you have to reach for the mouse at some point anyway, and I think a mouse is pretty efficient at quickly going through a folder tree - given the choice I usually just get the mouse for a large, tabbed menu even if I can map it...

for me though, I found mr duda to be mostly receptive to requests related to hardware control...
perhaps he could at least put midi cc on the left/right WT arrows or something.
He said, in email, if you need to be able to control it from hardware, dont buy it.
Doesnt sound like he has any interest in making it work with Maschine/Kontrol (I suspect because NI are a holes, there is hint of this in the Serum forum)
Duh

He said, in email, if you need to be able to control it from hardware, dont buy it.
That's not quite correct: you were asking me to get you up and running with some features not in the older demo, switching wavetables via MIDI, I said something along the lines of if that feature is make-or-break then don't buy it. You can advance through wavetables from MIDI notes or CC's, I'm not sure that's all you wanted or to your satisfaction, and since you didn't have an appropriate way to demo that, I suggested you not purchase if it was essential. I think it was the right thing to say, of course, as I don't want dissatisfied customers.

As explained, CCs and notes are of no use in this instance, to be usable with a Maschine or Kontrol hardware it needs to use automatable parameters, and like i said in the email, will be an amazing synth with Maschine or Kontrol when/if you do that, but it is unusable before that (on those particular platforms)

To be perfectly clear here, other than those issues, this is without doubt the best synth i have ever used for the particular sounds i like to make, with those issues sorted it would be the synth i recommend to everybody, unfortunately i know a lot of Maschine/Kontrol/Kore users :(
Duh

Return to “Instruments”