Splice rent to own Serum plan, what do you think?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Numanoid wrote:So lets say you
got off your ass and mowed some lawns, cleaned some gutters,
...skipped a few Big Macs and Starbucks...

What you do, and refrain from doing,
can change your future. Maybe even pay for vsts
with cash :hyper:
Cheers

mattetti wrote:
musikmachine wrote:Hey Matt, thanks for updating will wait for that update. Can i just install beta updates from Xfer on top of that version and can Serum be added to my other Xfer account now or when Serum is paid off? Thanks!
Your_Plugins__VST__AU____Splice.png
SerumFX is now available to people on the trial/plan.

You can install the beta updates from Xfer on top of the version we deliver via Splice. We distribute the exact same version, there isn't a Splice specific version of the plugin. No need to reinstall when you pay off the plugin. Note however that the Serum updates are available straight from the Splice application as a one click updater button (so you don't have to monitor the Serum forum).

When you make your first payment against your rent-to-own Serum, your xfer account is updated to have access to the Serum forum and installers. If you don't have an account, we create one for your using your splice email address, however you have to reset your password on xfer to access the account. This is because all Splice passwords are hashed/encrypted and we don't have access to them so we obviously can't set your password on Steve's site. Note also that if you pause, cancel or fail to pay your plan, you will lose access to the forum/downloads until you resume your plan or pay off Serum.

I have to admit that until you guys asked about SerumFX, I didn't really play with it (sorry Steve), but it's a really cool addon and I am going to spend more time thinking about creative ways to use it.

In regards to the initial scan of projects, after reading your comments, we are working on various optimizations and hope to have an update soon. We are a very small team of very passionate people and I can't tell you how happy I am to see this thread being already 23 pages long. Haters gonna hate and we all know that KVR has its share of haters, but you guys have been awesome.

Someone suggested a different thread with a poll to know what plugins you'd love to see a RtO, I think that's a good idea. To be honest, we first want to see how things got with Serum but it's very interesting for plugin developers and us to know what you, our audience care to see happen. At the end of the day, our goal is to make you happy and unleash your creativity.
Nice one Matt, thanks. What i was asking was when i've paid it off will i still have a separate Xfer account for Serum? I already have Cthulhu and LFO Tool.

Not a huge deal but easier to manage my plugins if they're under one account. With that in mind though i'd have two accounts for any developer added to Splice that i already had plugins with but it makes sense that it's separate while paying the plugin off.

Hey Steve i read you applied for nks format on the forum, is there any progress on that? Kinda think they'd be all over that with the popularity of Serum would be great but great synth, very distinctive sound but works well in a mix. :)

I can't see maschine being a huge issue, lots of people use it in different configurations, i use maschine with Live to finish tracks so i use Serum then. if i had a KK i could definitely use the integration though but seems like the balls in NIs court?
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

glokraw wrote:
Numanoid wrote:So lets say you
got off your ass and mowed some lawns, cleaned some gutters,
...skipped a few Big Macs and Starbucks...

What you do, and refrain from doing,
can change your future. Maybe even pay for vsts
with cash :hyper:
Cheers
Very sage advice dude. :hihi:
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

This is a really slick way to go, and finally tipped the scales for me.
Thank you kindly, Mr. Duda!

"Onward to world domination. $9.99 at a time." :D
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

kelldammit wrote:This is a really slick way to go, and finally tipped the scales for me.

and when you have 10 synths under payment, you will be paying $100 a month and then you could just buy them one by one anyway.

I wonder how many people (%) will start payments, then never finish and lose their money?

pdxindy wrote:I wonder how many people (%) will start payments, then never finish and lose their money?
If I start payment and don't finish, I haven't loosed any money: I enjoyed Serum during the time that I've paid for.
Last edited by waltercruz on Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sounds

pdxindy wrote:
kelldammit wrote:This is a really slick way to go, and finally tipped the scales for me.

and when you have 10 synths under payment, you will be paying $100 a month and then you could just buy them one by one anyway.

I wonder how many people (%) will start payments, then never finish and lose their money?
And how many people will have 10 synths under payment? Personally, I would pay for two synths maximum this way. I can't afford more! Many people needs to save weekly or monthly to be able to buy a synth costs more than $100. So, for such people, Splice plan is great :)

pdxindy wrote:

doesnt seem that likely. but 'you' would have all those ten synths for all ten of those months, which some people might prefer.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

doesnt seem that likely. but 'you' would have all those ten synths for all ten of those months, which some people might prefer.
Precisely, and unlike an annual subscription 'contract', you're not obligated to pay off any balance if you bail, or penalized if you don't make a payment or more, other than not being able to use the device. Notwithstanding, "budgeting" isn't the only a factor, though an acquired skill, as circumstances can change with or without notice, and our priorities can and do shift, which this plan seems to adapt to more readily than something where you are 'locked-in', regardless.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

All I can say is, it's an amazing offer.
Powerful virtual instrument plugins tend to be expensive, and Steve Duda understands his market and the kind of people who use his products, i.e most musicians are people who generally don't make a huge amount of money, or are amateurs.

This offer is the best deal that can be done, really. I hope other makers will follow that path.

pdxindy wrote:

In what way they "lose their money" ? If they don't like the synth, or can't pay for it, it was simply a rent. If you rent your appartment or a car, you may consider you are losig your money, but the alternative is living under a bridge in the meantime. So no, renting isn't losing your money, it's paying for a service taht you need for a limited time, and that you get **right now** with your available money, not in ten or twenty years when you have accumulated enough to be able to buy. Except that usually, for this service, you pay a premium to the owner, which corresponds to the big initial investment that the owner has made. And the service isn't made permanent at the end.

With the Splice model, first there is no premium. If you change your mind, all you have paid is a rent. If you don't, you own the product, which isn't normally the case with renting. It's like if you bought your appartment, but with a 0% interest loan. Hard to make a better deal.

If all you want to try before you buy, there is the time limited demo model. If you end up not liking it, you get the best deal (you paid zero). But if instead you like it, you can't use the product anymore until you pay the full price.

If you have 10 synths under payment that you can't really afford, then you only keep paying the one you like best. And if at the end you don't have the money to buy it fully because you have spent all your money, then you certainly need to reconsider your priorities in life, because this sort of attitude will cost you far more in other things.

NO, more options, how entirely terrible...

What do I think?

Well, they sold me their synth with this trick :D

Since I got Reaktor 6, the number of synths I need/want/lust/GAS has dwindled down to a few exceptional ones in terms of sound and interface, Serum one of them... but the versatility of Reaktor severely dismotivates paying the retail prices. This monthly payment removes that mental hurdle, it feels like I'm not really spending money, lol :D

I finally finished reading the manual of Serum :phew:

I enjoyed a lot the Formula Parser section :D It is easy to understand as well, except one thing I couldn't understand well. The 'if' or '?' function. I know them by themselves and I know how to use them, but how to compute the result?!

Hmmm, I think it advances the value of X according to the true statement, then retriger the formula again ...etc.

Anyway, I really hope this idea will be in other sections as well, because it is more precise than any manual drawing or playing. It can be applied on Modulators (wow! that would be crazy! CRAZY!).

It is really big fun to write a formula and see the magic happens, especially with two variables like X and Y or X and Z because a whole wavetable is generated! I'm going to make my wavetables from formulas and not be bothered by improting audio ...etc. 8)

Return to “Instruments”