MKS-50 vs ReDominator (mp3)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
D-Fusion
KVRAF
3457 posts since 13 Jul, 2004 from Earth

Post Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:56 am

commuter wrote:
They did with the RE Version for Reason.
It's weird that they haven't updated the vst version with the Original Alpha Filter since that filter option has been availible for a long time in Reason.
In fact they did! (silently)
the "original" filter is now also included on the VST version, strange they didn't announced it, i found it by chance!, It's in the preset menu

Wow. That was a weird place to put it. But thank you for showing this. I will check it later to see if it is there on mine.

D-Fusion
KVRAF
3457 posts since 13 Jul, 2004 from Earth

Re: MKS-50 vs ReDominator (mp3)

Post Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:14 am

Hmm. No Alpha Juno filter there.
Where did you get this version?

commuter
KVRist
60 posts since 28 May, 2008

Post Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:26 am

really ??? strange ??Just like you i downloaded it from the website, and discovered this in the preset menu.
Indeed i was a beta tester for the original release, but a few weeks ago i re-downloaded from the site, to be up to date, so i didn't get it from the beta circuit (it was a long time ago)
Maybe Mike had this online for testing ? i don't know, but strange indeed
You don't get a Filter type menu at all ?
Last edited by commuter on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

commuter
KVRist
60 posts since 28 May, 2008

Post Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:29 am

but yeah...maybe it has something to do with the original beta...i don't know...strange

SayersWeb
KVRist
146 posts since 28 Sep, 2003 from Houston, Texas

Post Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:31 am

crystalmsc wrote:
SayersWeb wrote:To my ears ReDominator does not have that special Alpha Juno sound.
Hi Sayer, just curious which filter type was being used on the demo?
On the demo there is no choice of filter type, so I am guessing it is the original.

SayersWeb
KVRist

Post Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:38 am

zeep wrote:That certainly doesn't sound like the same settings. Maybe the control values on redominator don't match up.
Can't you get the sound closer by ear?
I spent a few minutes and got it slightly closer, maybe 10% improvement. The Noise source in ReDominator seems much louder and different character, also the Saw waveform sounds quite different. Also, the LFO does not have the same sounding result when applying to the filter. I'm also thinking the envelope is not quite right.

I'm starting to think the developer was most concerned with matching the Hoover sound right, which I have no use for.
Last edited by SayersWeb on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

SayersWeb
KVRist

Post Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:39 am

pandashake wrote:Turn off the built-in chorus and use the TAL version and it sounds a bit closer. Really brings ReDominator to life.
Yes, I had the same idea... will try that when I get the chance.

layzer
KVRAF
6592 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:59 pm

just curious... can the people that see the filter option in the menu share what version of redom and what OS you are on?
I have the 32bit v1.02 on XP SP3 and i dont see it. thnx
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

BDeep
KVRAF
2734 posts since 13 Feb, 2012 from Amsterdam

Post Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:38 pm

Just downloaded it from the website and it shows up. Mac OS 10.10, Live 9.

Btw, didn't test it extensively, but it behaves considerably different.

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2159 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:19 am

pandashake wrote:Turn off the built-in chorus and use the TAL version and it sounds a bit closer. Really brings ReDominator to life.
We're talking about the alpha Juno here ,not to Be mistaken with Juno 6, 60, 106

Edit : O.k. You were refferring To Tal's chorus ....my bad :dog:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

RobGee
KVRist
178 posts since 11 Jan, 2014

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:37 am

I didn't realise they've now modelled the original filter, I'll have to give this a try.

pandashake
KVRAF
2018 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from flint, michigan

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:37 pm

gentleclockdivider wrote:
We're talking about the alpha Juno here ,not to Be mistaken with Juno 6, 60, 106

Edit : O.k. You were refferring To Tal's chorus ....my bad :dog:
Yep. I've owned two 106s, an AJ1, and MKS50, so I'm keen to the sounds of all three. As far as ReDominator goes, it falls short in the filter and chorus areas when compared to the real deal. The Tal chorus does wonders for ReDominator though. I love the two together.

bungle
KVRAF
1596 posts since 12 Mar, 2004

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:15 pm

SayersWeb wrote:My MKS-50 has been struggling the last few years, so I've been considering getting ReDominator as a replacement. The MKS-50 is currently in a good mood, so I downloaded the demo of ReDominator, loaded the same patch in each, matched the levels, used the exact same effects settings in the DAW for each, and alternated playing a sequence to each.

The first is the MKS-50, the second is ReDominator:

https://soundcloud.com/sayer-seely/mks- ... edominator
Definitely something wrong here, have you contacted AudioRealism to tell them how terrible this is ?
They are not very active developers to be honest, some promised stuff for Redominator has never appeared and i would literally not buy the last glass of water on earth off them now (Once i buy off a developer and they do not update the features that they say they will, i am done with them)

Can you upload the patch for others to try ?
If your plugin is a C++ creation, please don't say so.
If it is, pop round Marcos, he has just bought you a Mac to port it.

emef
KVRist
498 posts since 5 Jun, 2001

Post Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:22 am

great tip, it does sound way better wi the TAL chorus on it, cheers for that :)

Mike Janney
KVRist
345 posts since 10 Jun, 2004

Post Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:45 am

bungle wrote:[
They are not very active developers to be honest, some promised stuff for Redominator has never appeared and i would literally not buy the last glass of water on earth off them now (Once i buy off a developer and they do not update the features that they say they will, i am done with them)
Hello! You're right we missed to update the VST version with the extra filter, but I can say we are actively trying to update everything. I'm the sole developer here and between all changes in OS:es and frameworks and everything else I can tell you it's really difficult to keep up with it all, and we don't make enough business to actively employ anyone to help us keep things updated yet.

What I can say though if you feel that we did miss a feature update or promise something that did not deliver contacting us directly is always appreciated!

And yes, I think ReDominator sounds closer with the Alpha Juno filter. Our Alpha Juno kind of broke down in mid-development so unfortunately I never got the chance to check the latest changes against it, and that's also why the latest update got postponed.

Mike / AudioRealism
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

Return to “Instruments”