Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

theracon wrote:Hello Richard,
I talked to Roger Linn earlier this day about the possibility of getting The Legend ported to MPE standard, he said he would be happy to answer any of your questions.
Ok thanks- I've sent him an email for some clarification on MPE :)

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard_Synapse wrote:
theracon wrote:Hello Richard,
I talked to Roger Linn earlier this day about the possibility of getting The Legend ported to MPE standard, he said he would be happy to answer any of your questions.
Ok thanks- I've sent him an email for some clarification on MPE :)

Richard
cool !
I'm really happy you're working on that case ! :)
Thanks a lot.

Cool that you're looking into MPE, altough the limited modulation assignments in the legend would make it difficult to make use of all the MPE expressions without a bit of a GUI overhaul on that back page. I guess you'd need to add at least a Timbre (cc74) source like aftertouch.

Dune 2 seems like the ideal fit since it has a mod matrix. With a mod matrix it doesn't require any GUI changes as you just add the timbre modulator and the rest is behind the scenes pretty much.

whats the limitations of antitode rack demo .
edit; big trance rhb preset its from israeli astral projection before 20-22 years ago , nice. :D

edit; i see on my products , rack extensions, date limitations.
it will be nice if it will be write next to the product on synapse audio site and propllerhead shop.

michaelbrac wrote:whats the limitations of antitode rack demo .
edit; big trance rhb preset its from israeli astral projection before 20-22 years ago , nice. :D

edit; i see on my products , rack extensions, date limitations.
it will be nice if it will be write next to the product on synapse audio site and propllerhead shop.
Huh.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Richard_Synapse wrote:
theracon wrote:Wow, i'm so thrilled !
I hold my breath.
Here is a description of the MPE protocol by Roger Linn
http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/implementing-mpe.html

Thank you.
Yep found that, a quick read indicates that MPE essentially means working on several MIDI channels, in order to allow for polyphonic pitch bend. But there may be more to it, dunno. We may have to contact Roger and/or get a MPE-capable device, so it could take some time even if the actual standard looks very simple at first glance. :)

Richard
That's it in a nutshell, but not just pitch bend, also voice specific modulation via CC74. So for instance I can hold down two notes, add vibrato (pitch bend) to one, while opening up the filter on the other voice with no pitch bend. So each channel/voice acts kind of like a mono synth.
CC74, plus Modwheel, Breath, Expression, Aftertouch etc.

On my Linnstrument, I have the Y axis set to CC1 since the u-he synths do not currently support CC74

Ok so MIDI CCs for the first channel are sent to the first voice, CCs for the second channel to the second voice etc., obviously taking care of Program/Bank changes that apply to all. Cool 8) Should be easy enough to implement :)

Richard

Richard_Synapse wrote:Ok so MIDI CCs for the first channel are sent to the first voice, CCs for the second channel to the second voice etc., obviously taking care of Program/Bank changes that apply to all. Cool 8) Should be easy enough to implement :)

Richard
Hey richard, you have an emergency msg on fb messenger (aka dummy alert !) :dog:

Saw it, and thank you again for testing MPE so swiftly :)

Richard

Richard_Synapse wrote:Ok so MIDI CCs for the first channel are sent to the first voice, CCs for the second channel to the second voice etc., obviously taking care of Program/Bank changes that apply to all. Cool 8) Should be easy enough to implement :)

Richard
Actually, the first voice is supposed to start on the second channel, with the first being a master channel.

From Roger Linn website:

"Messages that apply to all voices (such as Sustain Pedal (CC64), Volume (CC7), Program Change, etc.) are sent over a separate "Master" channel. An alternative implementation is to use no Master channel and to send these common messages over all of the Per-Note channels, in which case the receiver will recognize all messages other than the 5 per-note messages as common to all voices, regardless of the channel over which it is received."

With the Roli controllers you can set them to MIDI mode and use all channels (1-16) with no master channel. Apparently with Linn's controllers as well. Not sure about other manufacturers.

U-He synths work like this, they didn't implement the master channel.

Restless wrote:Actually, the first voice is supposed to start on the second channel, with the first being a master channel.
Yes correct, above was just an example. For the plug-in that does not really matter, since the hardware connects the expression controllers to the proper MIDI Channel, where the note was sent originally. So in case of The Legend the hardware could also send on channels #5,#6,#7,#8 for instance. Basically on any channel as long as all the voices are associated with a unique MIDI channel.

Richard

Dumb MPE question: I assign CC74 on the Roli Rise to control the fitler frequency...I'm playing two notes. Note 1 I'm keeping steady, note 2 I'm increasing CC74 to open the Filter Frequency on just that one note: what should the GUI of the plugin do? There's two different filter frequencies? Should it show the maximum filter position? The filter position for the lowest channel note? Same would apply for any sort of polyphonic modulation.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Dumb MPE question: I assign CC74 on the Roli Rise to control the fitler frequency...I'm playing two notes. Note 1 I'm keeping steady, note 2 I'm increasing CC74 to open the Filter Frequency on just that one note: what should the GUI of the plugin do? There's two different filter frequencies? Should it show the maximum filter position? The filter position for the lowest channel note? Same would apply for any sort of polyphonic modulation.
The knob position shouldn't change at all, because it's modulation, not automation. It's like if you have a filter envelope, which applies per voice. Each time you hit a note the filter might start high and then lower over a few seconds, but the knob wouldn't change. With the 5D modulators, each source, like brightness/cc74 should be assigned as modulation in the synth just like you would assign an envelope, using in a mod matrix or some other kind of mod source assignment (ie. not midi learn).

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Dumb MPE question: I assign CC74 on the Roli Rise to control the fitler frequency...I'm playing two notes. Note 1 I'm keeping steady, note 2 I'm increasing CC74 to open the Filter Frequency on just that one note: what should the GUI of the plugin do? There's two different filter frequencies? Should it show the maximum filter position? The filter position for the lowest channel note? Same would apply for any sort of polyphonic modulation.
The knob position shouldn't change at all, because it's modulation, not automation. It's like if you have a filter envelope, which applies per voice. Each time you hit a note the filter might start high and then lower over a few seconds, but the knob wouldn't change. With the 5D modulators, each source, like brightness/cc74 should be assigned as modulation in the synth just like you would assign an envelope, using in a mod matrix or some other kind of mod source assignment (ie. not midi learn).
Makes sense. When I just straight assign CC74 in Diva, the GUI reacts to it like it would any hardware controller, which sort of confuses the GUI.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Makes sense. When I just straight assign CC74 in Diva, the GUI reacts to it like it would any hardware controller, which sort of confuses the GUI.
Ya that's because when learning midi to a controller, you are assigning direct midi control, which sends a single value to the actual knob position. It's meant to be sent independent of notes. Modulation on the other hand is relative to the current position of the knob and works for each note/voice separately.

Return to “Instruments”