Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Armagibbon
KVRian
695 posts since 20 Apr, 2017

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Diva aint a minimoog man. This is the closest to the real deal youre gonna find in software. Dont need a minimoog? Prolly dont need this.

nichttuntun
KVRian
512 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:15 pm

I don't need one. Want one. :hihi:

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
16148 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:19 pm

Examigan wrote:
BONES wrote:
v1o wrote:Nothing beats a vintage model. The reissue will always pale in the shadow of the original.
Really? Then how come every original MiniMoog owner didn't hesitate to ditch it when something more modern came along, like Prophet V? I started going to see bands in 1979 and I have never, ever seen a MiniMoog on stage. I used to see them second hand in shops but never in anyone's set-up. OTOH, people held onto their ARP Odysseys right through the 1980s. I have never in my life seen one for sale second-hand anywhere so I get why people might revere the Odyssey and Prophet V but not the MiniMoog. If it hadn't been first I really don't think anyone would have noticed it.

It is also quite obvious from their early synths that both Roland and Korg took ARP far more seriously than Moog. Just see how much a MiniKORG 700 looks like an ARP Soloist or how much Roland's SH-1000 looks like a Pro Soloist [...]

People liked the MiniMoog because it was portable, not because of the way it sounded or because of what they could do with it.
I would think many people will probably argue some of your points here.
Why bother, it's a lot of opinions which are stated as facts. And they're not really the wider held opinions as far as I've noticed. I would note the tendency towards argument by anecdote compounded by argument from ignorance ("I've never seen one on stage...") and strawman, and then the weasel words ('people held onto teh other ones') but whatever, my expectation of better given the source is... low.

But here's some other opinions. I never liked Korg or Roland synths. I did buy one of the latter once we're in "modern" (lol) times, a rack synth, XV-5080 or like that and it wasn't anything to write home about. So while we're to believe sure these entities agreed with "BONES", it has no moment here at all, certainly.

All of the above are really 'horses for courses'. You cannot replace an idiomatic MM sound by an ARP. It's useless to go into it more than that. That would seem to be obvious, but no.

Dasheesh
KVRAF
2817 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Armagibbon wrote:Diva aint a minimoog man. This is the closest to the real deal youre gonna find in software. Dont need a minimoog? Prolly dont need this.

The closet I’ve heard of is the NI version TBH. But personally I like the minimonsta, and then theres the creamware version, which some folks tell you aliases (and it does), but is the best version under highest freqs.

Cinebient
KVRAF
3778 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:22 pm

Dasheesh wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:Diva aint a minimoog man. This is the closest to the real deal youre gonna find in software. Dont need a minimoog? Prolly dont need this.

The closet I’ve heard of is the NI version TBH. But personally I like the minimonsta, and then theres the creamware version, which some folks tell you aliases (and it does), but is the best version under highest freqs.
The best is the new Moog app for me.
But they are all good.
As VST/AU i prefer The Legend.

nichttuntun
KVRian
512 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:32 pm

I bought The Legend and played around for an hour and I am amazed by its great sound...and disappointed at the same time due to litte modulation options. It may be true to the original but for a modern VST-version I think it is not quite up to date.

Nevertheless it sounds fantastic and I got killer basses out of it plus The Legend is a smasher in the FM section. I think it has more smack then DIVA but DIVA is much more opened for sound design purpose and modulation of course. I think the both aren´t comparable to each other.

I am very pleased with The Legend for what it is. Cheers :tu:

nichttuntun
KVRian
512 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:24 am

After delving further in the depths of The Legend I really ask why the developers didn't give this awesome sounding VST some more modulation options. It sounds really fantastic but is totally boring regarded on the long run.

I compared it with my still unbeatable hardware synth Waldorf PULSE 1 which has also 3 OSCs, cross modulation and Sync and a fully analog filter and that beast sounds simular to a MOOG and has a similar concept BUT it has several freely choosable modulation sources with which you can make totally creative unusual sounds in no time.

In my opinion the bone dry PULSE beats The Legend with ease due to the sound sculpture possibilities.

Why are such features missing in The Legend??? Yes it may be great to have the low budget possibility to sound like the cult synthesizer of the 70th. But at the same time it is so limiting that you only can sound like the original. I think it is not creative at all to mimic sounds - legendary or not - heard a million time before.

Here I have to positively point out the way GForce went with their great ODDITY2 - it's pure modulation and sound design heaven plus having the original core character of the real ARP transported to the modern time.

What do you think? Cheers.
Last edited by nichttuntun on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
17179 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:28 am

Pulse has DCOs, Minimoog has VCOs. The difference right there is quite huge, for starters. And the filter is not the same either. I don't think the idea with The Legend was to stray TOO much from what the Mini was by adding gobs of modulation.

nichttuntun
KVRian
512 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:35 am

I understand that. I spoke of similarity because of the differences. But nevertheless the concepts are comparable. I do also understand the urge for a one to one emulation for some people. But to have options is great and it would be fantastic if I could choose to go further on with The Legend as an option.

The actual state is outdated. I also think when MOOG invented their instrument today they would have built in many more options.

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
17179 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:38 am

I don't think what you want will happen, though...

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
11759 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:46 am

nichttuntun wrote:I compared it with my still unbeatable hardware synth Waldorf PULSE 1
That's as silly as comparing (pay close attention to the name) The Legend to a Roland D-50. From the product page at Synapse:

"Developed in cooperation with vintage synth specialist Bigtone Studios, The Legend is designed to faithfully emulate one of the most famous vintage analog synths. Moreover, numerous innovative enhancements greatly increase its versatility".

No matter how many "numerous innovative enhancements" were added there will always be requests for more. I'd like 32 note polyphony for example. Oooh how about 6 more Osc's or....on and on ? Join the Synapse forum and add your feature request to the others already made by fellow users.
nichttuntun wrote:I think it is not creative at all to mimic sounds - legendary or not - heard a million time before.
Yet.......
nichttuntun wrote:I bought The Legend
Maybe next time spend more time with the Demo. You'll find that greatly reduces buyer's remorse. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

nichttuntun
KVRian
512 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:04 am

I am a dreamer and I am spoiled by the many great synth out there.

Don't get me wrong. I love to have that special MOOG sound and therefore The Legend is really great. But when I play it in my mind occur things that I can't realize with it while I feel the potential it could have.

I think with having all the fantastic modulation plugins ranging from grain effects to frequency shifters on to things like Rythmizers...I can live with it :)
In fact it's great to have a "mini MOOG" in the arsenal :party:

I don't know who owns a PULSE. I think the sound is comparable to the one a mini MOOG offers. Especially the bass sounds.

Cheers

User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
17179 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:08 am

Pulse is an entirely different story to Minimoog. It was certainly inspired by it, but it doesn't really sound like it, and the reasons are numerous.


Anyways... need more modulation with The Legend? Use host automation! :)

nichttuntun
KVRian
512 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:11 am

:tu:

Armagibbon
KVRian
695 posts since 20 Apr, 2017

Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:42 am

nichttuntun wrote:I think it is not creative at all to mimic sounds - legendary or not - heard a million time before.
Its a minimoog man. It does the minimoog sound. Like what do you want from it a f*ckin modular? hahahah

But man that's the deal bout these sounds. Everyone knows em. So you can take that and do what you want and peeps will know youre takin a classic sound and doin your own thing with it. Got that context stuck to it right? So much you can do workin that angle...

Return to “Instruments”