Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

AnX wrote:
recursive one wrote:
Richard_Synapse wrote: We have now been working on a couple of vintage synth emulations
Well, good to know. I guess whatever it will be it will sell really well, but I'd still prefer seeing something less focued on being "vintage" and "an emulation" but rather more innovative, perhaps a continuation to Dune series with better sound (like more coloured/characterful/analogue-like).
D3 is coming this year
Now that's good news. :tu:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
EnGee wrote:Maybe we need to look into BT hardware synths or what he bought lately if we want to guess :hihi:
Brian Transeau?

What is the connection?
It's BigTone (Nico Herz).

fluffy_little_something wrote:
v1o wrote:You know despite the advancements made by groundbreaking synths like the Legend (and also Monark, Repro-5 etc) there are still people not convinced that plugins can sound like real discrete analogue hardware.

I was recently reading posts by Andrew Simper on GS. He was saying there still isn’t enough computational power to do the job, too many corners are cut by current methods commonly used in plugins. He was talking about having VST plugins that work more like 3D raytrace renderers which strive for greater realism by taking hours (even days) to do the calculations to generate images. So he was talking about having your plugins that work overnight to render your audio in the highest possible quality.
I don't think that's a great analogy because the eye and the ear are rather different. There is only one visible reality that needs to be approached by render techniques. Either it looks realistic or it doesn't.
With synths sounds there are a lot of different realities. You can change various parameters and it still is an authentic reality. When you change any visual parameters (colors, gamma etc.), the eye will think it doesn't look realistic anymore.

Also, I think vision is much more demanding and sophisticated than hearing. Which is also why to most people going blind is more problematic than going deaf.
Hi. interesting positions. Maybe I share my experience as a person who is practicing meditation for several years.

I experienced that the only thing the eye is able to see is form and colour. The only thing the ear is able to hear is sonic waves. Everything else is made up by the mind based on trained concepts. To make it simple. It's all an illusion. :D Due to this fact nearly no-one is able to see and hear thins as they really are. We see and hear concepts and we decide whether we like or dislike them on the base of preferences.

"Couple of vintage synth emulations"....plus Dune 3 soon maybe.
Seems i have to save some money.
What about a Synapse Audio complete bundle....i would be on board :D
(if Synapse Audio synths just would have microtuning it would be awesome).

Dullee wrote:
I'd say, wouldn't be Memorymoog, since The Legend already has polyphony and ironically is a better polyphonic Minimoog than Memorymoog was.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Richard recently purchased a Memorymoog and as pointed out to me on Gearslutz when I made a similar post questioning how close a Memorymoog and a Mini are, the Memorymoog has CEM chips and a few more differences. I'm pretty convinced the Memory is at least one of the vintage emulations.

Also, if my memory isn't completely failing, I believe Richard also recently acquired another vintage poly synth which was mentioned in the same thread. I'm thinking Oberheim because I remember someone relating the purchase to the Behringer OB-X clone in the works. If you're Richard, and gonna drop that kind of coin on vintage polys, I'd think emulation was on the agenda.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Couple of vintage synth emulations
Just one. Legend was the firstborn from that "couple". Now we need to find out who's the junior :D

Ah, so I found that Gearslutz thread. And I read this
Memorymoog is unlikely to be next, because the MIDI kit still needs to be installed, and probably some other minor work needs to be done.
Anyway we have an OB-Xa here now, fully recapped/refurbished, sounds really amazing

Richard
Yes, yes, yes! OB-Xa. Richard, do it. I'm like, I already bought it :)
Last edited by Dullee on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Actually yes, thats quite likely. They already put an obie filter in the last D2 update, xpander i think.

Aren't there at least three alternative emulations of this hardware, one of them being free?

That said pretty much those synths, i.e. the Memorymoog, Jupiter-8, Elka Synthex, Oberheim OB-XA and Prophet-600 (with the Gligli upgrade) are our favorites for future emulations. CS-80 too, though its weight, scarcity and complexity makes it less likely and less practical to emulate.

Richard
FWIW, my money is where you future emulation favorites lie.

Especially CS-80, Synthex and OB-Xa considerations. Considering The Legend quality, no brainer.
Aren't there at least three alternative emulations of this hardware, one of them being free?
None that could match Synapse quality, I imagine.

recursive one wrote:Aren't there at least three alternative emulations of this hardware, one of them being free?
I think they are OB X, not OB Xa.

Behringer are doing a hardware obxa

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/ ... eim-ob-xa/

An Oberheim emu would be great. :tu: Thought Richard mentioned once that it wouldn't happen though. I could be wrong.

AnX wrote:
recursive one wrote:Aren't there at least three alternative emulations of this hardware, one of them being free?
I think they are OB X, not OB Xa.
I see. Never owned either of them, for me the differences between OB-X and OB-Xa seem minor but I guess they may be important for those who aculally own or have owned the original synths.

the differences between OB-X and OB-Xa seem minor
Richard mentioned it
I took a closer look at both, I'd expect them to sound rather similar, in certain aspects identical (both use the same env chips for instance). The interface is almost identical as well. At a quick glance it seems the OB-X has the extra XMOD whereas the OB-XA has the 4-pole filter in addition to the 2-pole filter, both useful.

Return to “Instruments”