Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12001 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:16 am

nichttuntun wrote:Hi. interesting positions. Maybe I share my experience as a person who is practicing meditation for several years.

I experienced that the only thing the eye is able to see is form and colour. The only thing the ear is able to hear is sonic waves. Everything else is made up by the mind based on trained concepts. To make it simple. It's all an illusion. :D Due to this fact nearly no-one is able to see and hear thins as they really are. We see and hear concepts and we decide whether we like or dislike them on the base of preferences.
Indeed, at the end of the day it is about the - not seldom emotional - interpretation of boring, physical waves, be it light or sound.
Still, since humans are basically the same inside, they hear and see things in almost identical ways (despite exceptions such as color-blindness). And it's important because human society would be chaos without those unwritten biological standards, communication would be severely limited. It would be as if everyone would attribute a different meaning to the same word. Nobody would know what someone else actually wants to say, despite using known words.

olikana
KVRian
867 posts since 26 Jul, 2009

Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:38 pm

instead of a new synth I'd like a Legend XL.

adding:

PW/PWM
Sync
dedicated LFO
Pitch ENV (or OSC 1/2/3 to Filter ENV)
HP filter
Ring Mod

and maybe a couple more FX and ARP.

EnGee
KVRAF
4765 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from New Zealand

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 pm

OBXa is a great choice :tu:

I also think of Korg MS-20! The hardware Is affordable and there is no a proper emulation for it (Korg's one is nice sounding but not very near to the real one). Korg, it seems, won't update the current one (not the GUI or sound), so an emulation by SA is going to be a hit :)
Donate or bid in the "Call of Arms: Charity - 2nd Hand" and/or Visit the main auction here (Till 31st of October 2018).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.

nichttuntun
KVRist
477 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:23 am

olikana wrote:instead of a new synth I'd like a Legend XL.

adding:

PW/PWM
Sync
dedicated LFO
Pitch ENV (or OSC 1/2/3 to Filter ENV)
HP filter
Ring Mod

and maybe a couple more FX and ARP.
Yes...than you would have something like a WALDORF PULSE :hihi:
Yes...totally agree :hug: That would be great!
EnGee wrote:OBXa is a great choice :tu:

I also think of Korg MS-20! The hardware Is affordable and there is no a proper emulation for it (Korg's one is nice sounding but not very near to the real one). Korg, it seems, won't update the current one (not the GUI or sound), so an emulation by SA is going to be a hit :)
I got the MS-20 (mini) Hardware version and it is great. I also got DIVA and the emulation of the MS-20 is nowwhere near the original unit. BUT exactly that is the great thing about DIVA here because it sounds totally special...a kind of its own and it screws further towards a very own style of sound-design. Love this machine and all the combination options.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
16892 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:26 am

Diva's MS-20 is pretty darn good, but you don't get the patch points.

Dullee
KVRist
108 posts since 9 Mar, 2018

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:15 am

I wonder how many times exactly it would take Richard to say Legend won't have any XL or Turbo editions with tons of additional features.

Probably a thousandth time will cut it. Maybe not.

Armagibbon
KVRian
692 posts since 20 Apr, 2017

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:51 am

AnX wrote:Behringer are doing a hardware obxa

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/ ... eim-ob-xa/
Man behringer... whys it gotta be them

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:29 am

Because they're the biggest and can do it the cheapest.

Examigan
KVRAF
4283 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:06 am

chk071 wrote:An Oberheim emu would be great. :tu: Thought Richard mentioned once that it wouldn't happen though. I could be wrong.
It would be great if they could, and I am hoping they consider it. :)

olikana
KVRian
867 posts since 26 Jul, 2009

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:25 pm

Dullee wrote:I wonder how many times exactly it would take Richard to say Legend won't have any XL or Turbo editions with tons of additional features.

has he already ruled it out? haven't read through the whole 150 pages

DuX
KVRAF
3630 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Underworld

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:56 pm

EvilDragon wrote:Because they're the biggest and can do it the cheapest.
Those Behringer synths look very tempting... and not just OB-Xa :tu: But I must say I'm rather satisfied with what I have already. It's enough. Plus, these new soft synths from u-he and synapse audio are incredible. That should be an indicator of the times ahead. :tu:

Having said that, I'm also one of those who wouldn't be too unhappy about some additional ENVs and LFOs in Legend... or at least more comprehensive mod-matrix. But I can do interesting stuff with it already and I do use host automation... people forget that DAW environment is already like a modular synth that you can tweak and combine. ;)

That's one of the reasons I don't like the FX in VSTis. It's just ridiculous and a waste of time to program FX when we have so many great VST effects you can use it with??
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

AnX
KVRAF
2994 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:26 pm

olikana wrote:
Dullee wrote:I wonder how many times exactly it would take Richard to say Legend won't have any XL or Turbo editions with tons of additional features.

has he already ruled it out? haven't read through the whole 150 pages
Yes, ruled out. With a legend type filter coming in D3, adding tons more stuff to legend would just make the products too similar, and would also steer legend away from its inspiration.

zerocrossing
KVRAF
9291 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:00 am

DuX wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Because they're the biggest and can do it the cheapest.
Those Behringer synths look very tempting... and not just OB-Xa :tu: But I must say I'm rather satisfied with what I have already. It's enough. Plus, these new soft synths from u-he and synapse audio are incredible. That should be an indicator of the times ahead. :tu:

Having said that, I'm also one of those who wouldn't be too unhappy about some additional ENVs and LFOs in Legend... or at least more comprehensive mod-matrix. But I can do interesting stuff with it already and I do use host automation... people forget that DAW environment is already like a modular synth that you can tweak and combine. ;)

That's one of the reasons I don't like the FX in VSTis. It's just ridiculous and a waste of time to program FX when we have so many great VST effects you can use it with??
There are times when extra features make sense, and times when they don’t. Arturia clearly isn’t winning any emulation contest with Mini V, so all the extra bits like the vocal filter, etc, help a lot to make it something unique and worth having. Legend is so good at being a Model D, I hope they leave it as is... for the most part. I think even Moog thought having a dedicated LFO was something the Model D lacked and added it in in its reissue and later versions. I think you’d still keep the vibe of the Model D with one, and while I can add an LFO, or extra EG, etc, in Bitwig, it’s monophonic and having a LFO or EG per voice when Legend is in poly mode is much better. Anyway, if I want a good Moog emulation where the sky’s the limit, there’s Reaktor Blocks. If I need it to be polyphonic, Zebra HZ is close enough for me. I agree with you about effects too... for the most part. When a developer opens effect parameters to the mod matrix, the effects become part of the synthesis and that can lead to really interesting things. Again, Zebra HZ does nicely here. I don’t really think more effects, even if they could be modulated by Legend’s EGs and LFO would make sense in that instrument. It’s just not that.

Above an extra LFO, what I’d really like to see in Legend is an additional 4 voices. I’ve polychained 5 instances of it running in 4 voice unison mode and it didn’t break my i7. What it did do was make me weep sweet tears of joy. :lol: If RePro 5 can give me 8 voices of similar quality emulation, I’m not sure why Legend can’t. I imagine they’d have to implement multi-core to make it viable, but boy oh boy would that make it a more useful plugin to me. (And it already is pretty damn useful)
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

nichttuntun
KVRist
477 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:57 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:Hi. interesting positions. Maybe I share my experience as a person who is practicing meditation for several years.

I experienced that the only thing the eye is able to see is form and colour. The only thing the ear is able to hear is sonic waves. Everything else is made up by the mind based on trained concepts. To make it simple. It's all an illusion. :D Due to this fact nearly no-one is able to see and hear thins as they really are. We see and hear concepts and we decide whether we like or dislike them on the base of preferences.
Indeed, at the end of the day it is about the - not seldom emotional - interpretation of boring, physical waves, be it light or sound.
Still, since humans are basically the same inside, they hear and see things in almost identical ways (despite exceptions such as color-blindness). And it's important because human society would be chaos without those unwritten biological standards, communication would be severely limited. It would be as if everyone would attribute a different meaning to the same word. Nobody would know what someone else actually wants to say, despite using known words.
Yes it helps in certain situations...on the same level it can cause much misunderstandings (fail interpretations). Technically we all have the same abilities but our mindbased emotional reaction will be different. One can say 100 people hear 100 different things because 100 minds cause 100 different states within split seconds.

EvilDragon
KVRAF

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:31 am

[quote="DuX]That's one of the reasons I don't like the FX in VSTis. It's just ridiculous and a waste of time to program FX when we have so many great VST effects you can use it with??[/quote]

It's not ridiculous, an effect can be a very integral part of the sound. Especially if it's a very special assortment of FX, like for example in Absynth.

Return to “Instruments”