synth to replace albino 3

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
GreatExpectations
KVRer
10 posts since 1 Jul, 2010

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:43 pm

I really like albino 3 but it's no longer supported and is too buggy in ableton to really use anymore. What I really liked was that it sounded great and was easy to program from a single page. What would people recommend as a replacement? For me the workflow with a single page GUI really helps things and so that is an absolute must.

xalama qo
KVRian
1118 posts since 7 Jun, 2007

Re: synth to replace albino 3

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:27 pm

I suppose the obvious response would be Rob Papen Predator. They do sound a bit different tho. Try the demo.

recursive one
KVRAF
3882 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:24 pm

Yeah, Predator (there should be V. 2 in forseeable future).

Also you may take a look at Dune2. It has similar feature set - va and wavetable osicllators, unison, various filters, comprehensive mod matrix, flexible arp, you may have up to 8 independnet layers, the only difference it that you have two fullblown oscillators and one auxilary one per a layer, not 4 like in Albino. Overall, it has similar lush and mellow digital sound
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Ingonator
KVRAF
12043 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:33 pm

I got Albino 3 v3.2.0 installed here which seems to work nicely in Live 9.6.2 64-bit and Windows 10 64-bit using the 64-bit VST2 plugin.

As it still works i am also not really interested in a replacement and i also doubt that another synth will replace it 100% in terms of features and sound.
I also got Linplug Spectral but it is different and not really a replacement.

Albino 2 seemed to be one of the very first softsynths i used (around 2005) and later i upgraded to v3.

Albino 3 had/has a quite impressive feature set including 4 Oscs (both analog and digital waveforms with morphing between two waves), a dual multimode filter, 8 envelopes and 4 LFOs and additionally efects, a mod matrix and an Arpeggiator, not to forget up to 4 layers (with an option to layer and split those). The multiple filter types (each with up to 4 modes) were/are interesting too and a Comb filter is included too.
With teh "Spread" feature in the Oscs you could also do a kind of Supersaw/Hypesaw like sounds (while this works with all waveforms). If the osc is set to "free-run" you could avoid phasing when using this.

Overall while then synth is already quite old even now where we got tons of other synths available it seems to be far from useless IMO.
Ingo Weidner
notebook: HP Omen 15.6" / Win 10 Home 64-bit / i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (internal) // audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen)
DAWs: Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 // controller: Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Aiynzahev
KVRAF
3572 posts since 29 Jun, 2011 from USA

Post Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 pm

I miss Albino. I had a working copy of it for a while but it's long gone now. It's an iconic VST if there ever was one, it looked and sounded like the future, and still has a special sound today. Vintage Albinos will be selling for thousands on Ebay in 2055.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

mrsugmad
KVRist
60 posts since 30 Nov, 2007

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:59 am

Albino was created by Rob Papen. I have it.

Have you tried Blue or Blue2 ? Some of the first synths Rob did after Albino.

https://www.robpapen.com/blue2.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqTKKKZOc-I

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
11426 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:06 am

Aiynzahev wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 pm
I miss Albino. I had a working copy of it for a while but it's long gone now. It's an iconic VST if there ever was one, it looked and sounded like the future, and still has a special sound today. Vintage Albinos will be selling for thousands on Ebay in 2055.
Still getting daily use here.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

chk071
KVRAF
20324 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:08 am

I think Blue was developed by Jon Ayres, while Albino was developed by Peter Linsener (Linplug), thus they'll probably sound quite different. Although i never tried them, so, i might be wrong about that. :)

beatstudio
KVRer
12 posts since 30 May, 2019

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:13 am

Have you tried Sylenth1 ? One of its advantages is that it's light on CPU

discoDSP
KVRAF
4135 posts since 18 Jul, 2002 from Europe

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:15 am

Well there are plenty of choices but obviously I’d recommend Discovery Pro https://www.discodsp.com/discoverypro/
George Reales @ discoDSP | Plug-ins for iOS, macOS, Windows and Linux
OB-Xd Oberheim based synth for iPad

phaded
KVRist
139 posts since 12 Mar, 2012

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:38 pm

Popcorn

szurcio
KVRian
773 posts since 25 Nov, 2005

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:41 pm

codec_spurt
KVRAF
3550 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:49 pm

GreatExpectations wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:43 pm
I really like albino 3 but it's no longer supported and is too buggy in ableton to really use anymore. What I really liked was that it sounded great and was easy to program from a single page. What would people recommend as a replacement? For me the workflow with a single page GUI really helps things and so that is an absolute must.

Too soon?
"you're all GUI whores." - banned KVR member 'snooky'.

mrsugmad
KVRist
60 posts since 30 Nov, 2007

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:31 pm

chk071 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:08 am
I think Blue was developed by Jon Ayres, while Albino was developed by Peter Linsener (Linplug), thus they'll probably sound quite different. Although i never tried them, so, i might be wrong about that. :)
...From Rob Papen website....
"History:

In 2002 Rob Papen approached Peter Linsener of LinPlug with the idea of a sound-designers dream synth.
A few months later ALBINO was born! This very unique synth stole the hearts of many musicians due to it's high quality sound, usability and inspirational presets.
Albino3 has loads of amazing new creative features added like the two new filters "Scream" and "Comb"; four FX units with new FX like LoFi and WahWah; a Compressor and an improved Reverb.
But the biggest new feature is that you can layer up to four instances of Albino in one single preset!

Albino 3 has 2200 'Rob Papen' presets in various styles of music."

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6609 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:46 pm

codec_spurt wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:49 pm
GreatExpectations wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:43 pm
Too soon?
I'd say Vecto is closer. 4 oscs, 2 filters. Some digital waveshapes and fm.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

Return to “Instruments”