Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
andy4trance
KVRist
112 posts since 11 Oct, 2012

Post Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:11 pm

A bit late to the party but boy this is a great synth for a trance fest. Shortest demo before purchase..

Its intuitive interface layout is inviting to program even preset whores like me. :)

All presets sound great,big and full (maybe a lot of default compression in the background? ). I don't see many instances fitting in the mix at the same time, which is good for the cpu.

Still scratching the surface but great fun so far.

Shiek927
KVRist
429 posts since 14 May, 2014

Re: Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

Post Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:08 pm

Awfully quiet in Viper land! anything new coming up for this synth? :)

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2251 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:23 am

Shiek927 wrote:Awfully quiet in Viper land! anything new coming up for this synth? :)
Whats wrong with the feature set that it already has?

Also its a 1 person development team, new features requires lots of time and also some research. Its a bit unrealistic to expect something new after 6-7 months of release.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6153 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:32 am

Elektronisch wrote:
Shiek927 wrote:Awfully quiet in Viper land! anything new coming up for this synth? :)
Whats wrong with the feature set that it already has?

Also its a 1 person development team, new features requires lots of time and also some research. Its a bit unrealistic to expect something new after 6-7 months of release.
Personally I wouldn’t mind see the issue with the saving of the plugin state in hosts getting sorted (as described on previous page). I’d also like the wavetables be exposed for automation somehow (as a second parameter that goes through the waveforms).
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

recursive one
KVRAF
3687 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:30 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:I’d also like the wavetables be exposed for automation somehow (as a second parameter that goes through the waveforms).
Viper doesn't use wavteables. It can only morph between saw and a single-cycle waveform (this morphing may be automated) but you can't scan though a pack of different single cycle waveforms like you do in Serum etc.
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:35 am

recursive one wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:I’d also like the wavetables be exposed for automation somehow (as a second parameter that goes through the waveforms).
Viper doesn't use wavteables. It can only morph between saw and a single-cycle waveform (this morphing may be automated) but you can't scan though a pack of different single cycle waveforms like you do in Serum etc.
Sorry replace “wavetables” in my text with “waveforms”. I just meant the list of waveforms that are not the standard ones. I’d like to see that automatable like the standard ones are.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

recursive one
KVRAF
3687 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:40 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
recursive one wrote:
Sorry replace “wavetables” in my text with “waveforms”. I just meant the list of waveforms that are not the standard ones. I’d like to see that automatable like the standard ones are.
So what you want is being able to automate the waveform selector in the classic oscillator?

Yep, this potentially may be interesting

FYI, the classic oscillator in Virus doesn't do that, it acts exactly like Viper classic osc, except that it doesn't load user waveforms
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:02 am

Well I’d like to be able to automate not just the selection of the classic waves but also the other single cycle waveforms. But to be honest it’s not for the sake of automation, it’s to be able to go through the waves from a hardware controller. All the good ones use mapping based on the parameter ID as seen by the daw. Like notation automap, komplete kontrol, nektar, akai etc. Most viper controls are exposed but not the waveforms. That’s one of the main things that can change a sound so it’s nice to be able to go through them from a keyboard controller. Many vst devs overlook this.

adamtrance
KVRian
667 posts since 29 Sep, 2004

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:08 am

The last Viper update was at the end of June. I need some rest as well ;) Plus I have to make JP6K into 64 bit too, so Viper will take a break. I do have lots of plans for it though but it takes time. I cannot automate the waveform selection because its dynamic. It means users can have any number of waveforms in that folder, so I wouldnt know how many vaues there can be, and Viper uses standard midi values, so what would happen if the waves exceed 127? You cant scroll more than that.

Regarding the bug, I still need to see a video from someone what happens with the presets reverting back to the first preset.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

Halonmusic
KVRAF
1618 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:29 am

adamtrance wrote:The last Viper update was at the end of June. I need some rest as well ;) Plus I have to make JP6K into 64 bit too, so Viper will take a break. I do have lots of plans for it though but it takes time. I cannot automate the waveform selection because its dynamic. It means users can have any number of waveforms in that folder, so I wouldnt know how many vaues there can be, and Viper uses standard midi values, so what would happen if the waves exceed 127? You cant scroll more than that.

Regarding the bug, I still need to see a video from someone what happens with the presets reverting back to the first preset.
Are you going to add a feedback oscillator aswell as the other features present in jp8000 to jp6k?

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Post Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:57 am

adamtrance wrote:The last Viper update was at the end of June. I need some rest as well ;) Plus I have to make JP6K into 64 bit too, so Viper will take a break. I do have lots of plans for it though but it takes time. I cannot automate the waveform selection because its dynamic. It means users can have any number of waveforms in that folder, so I wouldnt know how many vaues there can be, and Viper uses standard midi values, so what would happen if the waves exceed 127? You cant scroll more than that.

Actually host parameters can be any number of values. Well I don’t remember the max value but definitely in the thousands. Actually you already do this with your other parameters like the basic waveform selector. I don’t have a computer now to check but if I recall correctly it had a thousand or several thousand values in the host parameter but only populated the first few values with the basic shapes (square, saw etc). The rest are just numbers that keep it at the last waveform in the list. That’s a common thing. So if there was a similar parameter for the complex waveforms, whatever that max value is for the parameter, that would be the maximum number of use waves for automation. Even if someone had auromarion on it and then added waves, it wouldn’t change because the max value that the host sees doesn’t change. Does that make sense? Sorry I can’t do screenshots but if you use Ableton live you can see what I mean by enabling automation and switching the basic shapes and you’ll see the slider show up in the expanded device view with only real values arc the very start and then lots of numbers. Same goes for the lfo shape selector I think.

cleverr1
KVRist
253 posts since 29 Nov, 2005

Post Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:55 am

My introduction to the Virus was via the Poco, (which is the B). The first patch it plays when loaded is OvertureCK, a classic evolving pad. I've had a go at recreating OvertureCK with Viper.

Is there anywhere we can upload / download to share presets for Viper?

adamtrance
KVRian
667 posts since 29 Sep, 2004

Post Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:16 am

I think you can upload presets to kvr somewhere if I remember?
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

cleverr1
KVRist
253 posts since 29 Nov, 2005

Post Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:08 am

chk071
KVRAF
17044 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:20 am

You can also download them here, i think: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/viper- ... /downloads

Return to “Instruments”