Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
adamtrance
KVRian
686 posts since 29 Sep, 2004

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:33 am

Those are good ideas thanks! I think it would also help if people would review Viper on the kvr rating system, so it goes up in rank and more people discover it. So please, review Viper here on kvr, it would be extremely appreciated! ;)
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

surreal
KVRian
1016 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Re: Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:11 am

Would do it if I had it!

Stefken
KVRian
594 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Re: Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:14 am

Viper has a lot going for it. It certainly deserves a broader audience. When I render a track with viper I'm always amazed at how good it sounds (compared to other synths).
The arp functionality is great as well. And it has a good emulation of that Virus sound at a fraction of the price of hardware.
It would benefit from more sound sets though.

I think it is a good product but imo it suffers from the way it is communicated.
Releasing it first as 32 bit was a mistake imo. Also pointing out repeatedly: I don't have time for this now, I don't know how to do this may be very honest on your part but does not induce confidence. Maybe you should refrain from doing so and just communicate broad deadlines for new features/development.

If it is feasible you could try to bring somebody else on board to help with the coding (that would also free up time for you to make some sound sets).

Just trying to help here.

User avatar
tristan-
KVRist
407 posts since 11 Dec, 2004

Re: Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:19 am

Stefken wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:14 am
Viper has a lot going for it. It certainly deserves a broader audience. When I render a track with viper I'm always amazed at how good it sounds (compared to other synths).
The arp functionality is great as well. And it has a good emulation of that Virus sound at a fraction of the price of hardware.
It would benefit from more sound sets though.

I think it is a good product but imo it suffers from the way it is communicated.
Releasing it first as 32 bit was a mistake imo. Also pointing out repeatedly: I don't have time for this now, I don't know how to do this may be very honest on your part but does not induce confidence. Maybe you should refrain from doing so and just communicate broad deadlines for new features/development.

If it is feasible you could try to bring somebody else on board to help with the coding (that would also free up time for you to make some sound sets).

Just trying to help here.
Ditto. I think the same about the "32 bit fiasco". What else? I'm not sure if an entire synth development cycle has to be completely and openly communicated. Think about Dune, Serum, Sylenth1, all the others. They're just out there, and that's good enough. There are probably people who think that this synth is the same as the bluearp project, or Charlatan, or whatever freebie is being developed in a community effort.

I'd like to see this synth featured in Future Music, Computer Music. I'd like to see it reviewed in YouTube by users like PlugInGuru etc. How do you do it? that's a question. but the quality is there.

adamtrance
KVRian
686 posts since 29 Sep, 2004

Re: Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:07 am

Yes I the 32 bit issue might have tainted the synth a bit, but I hope that when I make soundsets for it, it will be quickly forgotten. On the other hand, I like to communicate with customers and people who are interested in Viper, I hate when a developer is totally silent and no one knows whats going on. I feel it is important to let everyone know that Viper is actively being improved, and many features and sounds are coming so its a good investment. I also agree that I need to improve my marketing strategy as well :D

@Surreal: well, there is a free demo version you can try and evaluate the sound and features to write a review ;)
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12299 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:45 am

I see it is made with FlowStone. Has FlowStone overtaken SynthEdit? :-)

How big is the GUI in pixels?

Do I need Serum to survive Viper? 8)

anoise
KVRist
127 posts since 1 Jul, 2009

Re: Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:15 am

tristan- wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:19 am
There are probably people who think that this synth is the same as the bluearp project, or Charlatan, or whatever freebie is being developed in a community effort.
This is the reply I got on this forum when I recommended Viper: "the sound quality is nowhere near the Virus. The price is pretty high for a synth that was created with a sandbox without own development."
:roll: :?
Maybe "Everything is custom written from the ground up" should be added and highlighted also on the website, not just here, so people see it's not just another subpar flowstone synth.

So, 32 bit only on release; "made" in Flowstone = gives a subpar quality perception; no mac version; and market saturation are maybe detrimental for more success.

User avatar
tristan-
KVRist
407 posts since 11 Dec, 2004

Re: Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:24 am

anoise wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:15 am
tristan- wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:19 am
There are probably people who think that this synth is the same as the bluearp project, or Charlatan, or whatever freebie is being developed in a community effort.
This is the reply I got on this forum when I recommended Viper: "the sound quality is nowhere near the Virus. The price is pretty high for a synth that was created with a sandbox without own development."
:roll: :?
Maybe "Everything is custom written from the ground up" should be added and highlighted also on the website, not just here, so people see it's not just another subpar flowstone synth.

So, 32 bit only on release; "made" in Flowstone = gives a subpar quality perception; no mac version; and market saturation are maybe detrimental for more success.
Absolutely. Ditch the "made in Flowstone" and the "no MAC version" for starters. I couldn't give a d*** once the finished product sounds and plays great.

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12299 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:27 am

Why was FlowStone used at all when the synth was hand-coded anyway, so to speak?

adamtrance
KVRian
686 posts since 29 Sep, 2004

Re: Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:31 am

Because in FlowStone, everything is there to create whatever you want right from the start. And instead of figuring out how to compile shit with the Steinberg SDK and I can spend more time improving the synth.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12299 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Re: Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:37 am

I see. I think that is also how Lennard did Sylenth1 initially, using SE as a mere framework for his own code. But he abandoned SE sooner or later, and I assume it helped his product's reputation.

Stefken
KVRian
594 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Re: Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:05 pm

tristan- wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:24 am
anoise wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:15 am
tristan- wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:19 am
There are probably people who think that this synth is the same as the bluearp project, or Charlatan, or whatever freebie is being developed in a community effort.
This is the reply I got on this forum when I recommended Viper: "the sound quality is nowhere near the Virus. The price is pretty high for a synth that was created with a sandbox without own development."
:roll: :?
Maybe "Everything is custom written from the ground up" should be added and highlighted also on the website, not just here, so people see it's not just another subpar flowstone synth.

So, 32 bit only on release; "made" in Flowstone = gives a subpar quality perception; no mac version; and market saturation are maybe detrimental for more success.
Absolutely. Ditch the "made in Flowstone" and the "no MAC version" for starters. I couldn't give a d*** once the finished product sounds and plays great.
+1

You talked about better marketing?
Ditch it. Put 64 bit in front; then 32 bit.
Perception is reality.

eyezermusic
KVRer
12 posts since 4 Jul, 2018

Re: Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:45 pm

I think one reason why Viper hasn't yet reached any larger attention is because most people follow the herd and what's cool. If the famous producers uses Sylenth1, Spire, Serum etc, then everyone else will follow. Then imo, Viper has a sound characteristic that don't fit with modern EDM. It could perhaps just be me but I think Viper sounds very 2000'ish, which is why it's my favorite VST plugin. This however pretty much means it's not a synth for everyone (or the masses rather since they tend to have a shit taste). Some guy in this thread complained about too many Hardstyle videos on Youtube with Viper. That kind of proves my statement since Viper is a fantastic synth for Hardstyle music, especially if you like the 2008-2009 kind of Hardstyle. If Viper has a future (which I hope), then it will not surprise me if Hardstyle ends up being one of the most popular genres people will use Viper for.

adamtrance
KVRian
686 posts since 29 Sep, 2004

Re: Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:51 pm

Also dont forget that Viper is only 10 months old, while any other popular synth has been out for many years now to get around
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

eyezermusic
KVRer
12 posts since 4 Jul, 2018

Re: Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:11 pm

That's true. Time will tell and hopefully for the positive.

Return to “Instruments”