Viper|1.2.2 update with bugfixes and new skin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

I guess it's about more complex fm modulations,not complaining,it makes some very interesting sound the way it is :)
My english is from movies and internet,in high school i study russian and german and forget them both :)
Cheers :)

If you want to use a custom waveform as an FM modulator, set osc 1 to classic mode, turn the shape knob all the way to the left, load your waveform, set the FM mode to wave and use the 1st osc to FM the 2nd one (if you want to hear only the FMed sound, turn the osc balance knob all the way to the right, also you may add osc sync for more defined and agressive sound) .

You can also do FM between 2 wavetable oscillators.

This is exactly how it works in the Virus except Virus doesn't let you load any extra waveforms.

Virus and Viper weren't supposed to be full-blown FM synths like FM8, they have a very simple but great sounding FM. This is what I love about both, they don't try to offer each and every imaginable feature like Falcon and similar, but what is here is very easy to understand and opeate and sounds great at most reasonable settings.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:43 am If you want to use a custom waveform as an FM modulator...
Thank you, I should have explained it like that from the start, I just didnt understand the question at first.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

Ok please don't explain anymore how the wheel is spinning ,when i ask why is this way.
No problemo,sorry for bothering everybody concerned with such existential questions.
Make music,not war :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:02 am Ok please don't explain anymore how the wheel is spinning ,when i ask why is this way.
He actually explained that a couple of times now: Because it is the way it is in the Virus as well.

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:02 am when i ask why is this way.
You need to ask Christoph Kemper who designed the original Virus.

I think FM in Virus was originally intended to imitate oscillator cross-modulation found in some analog synths, later on it became possible to do FM with complex waveforms and wavetables, and now with Viper you can use your own waves.

Btw, the "pos tri" algorythm, which I think already was here in Virus A, has it's own unique sound (had been overused in psytrance at some point) and Viper perfectly recreates that sound. I actually use "pos tri" more often than "wave"
Last edited by recursive one on Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

So, the question was, why is it that way in the Virus? Well, yeah, ask Christoph Kemper then. :) He will probably say "Because I decided to design it that way.".

I guess misunderstanding comes from the perspective and previous experience we had.
I did a lot of FM ish stuff with Synthmaster One and use to play with it,so i guess i am asking wrong way and you focus on Virus/Viper architecture - had zero experience with Virus and Viper,just touch FM modulator yesterday and made few electro basses,really like the result,just was curious why is this way,in SM1 you select fm mode of sub osc and use it directly.
It's more simple,can't say more efficient,will compare them when play more with Viper.
Again please i'm not trying to start a pointless chat about functionality,that's why i bought it - to touch legendary Virus and develop my ideas,just haven't explore Viper yet.
Forgive me if i am confusing Virus/Viper users with weird questions :)
Last edited by VELLTONE MUSIC on Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@Adam it would be really interesting adding [Phase] as an internal modulation target in mod matrix entries.

Plan to make a set with nonlinear dynamics for Viper,already start something,but for start will spend a month at least to dig deeper into Virus/Viper architecture and to use to with mod matrix,cause still don't know how advanced it is.

nvm
Last edited by grdh20 on Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Studio Ultra, 64ram, 4tb+<4tb Samsung850-860evo ssd's in TB3 Akitio Enclosure> UAD Apollo x6-tb3/Yamaha2050/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins/Komplete S61Mk2} latest OSX

grdh20 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:25 pm Why does the title say 1.0.9 update? I don't see any past .07 mac and .08 pc.
Version 1.0.91 (2021 Aug 11):

• Fixed bugs in Arp randomizer
• Fixed soundbank selection arrow bugs in browser
• Fixed parameter bugs in Demo version
• Fixed stuck LFO bug
• Fixed issue in phaser

Version 1.0.9 (2021 Aug 02):

• New skins
• New Analog filter in Filter 1
• New "Enable Tooltip" function in main menu (displays help text when hovering over controls after a few seconds)
• New "Restore Preset" function
• Improved filters
• More informative window about missing wavs
• Faster initialization of presets
• Show GUI scaling when resizing from corner
• Automations use lower CPU
• Arpeggiator uses slightly less CPU
• Fixed bug in Arpeggiator redrawing
• Fixed small bugs in LFO, Envelope and Matrix
• Lots of other bug fixes

This is my main digital sounding go-to synth for a while now, stopped using Sylenth and Spire, my favorite thing about this synth is its got CHARACTER.. just play some of the presets and get blown away.. Other synths which are popular like Spire sound fantastic too but they are extremely "Vanilla" in comparison.

The only feature that I would like to really see would be a "super square/ super pulse" waveform similar to the supersaw.

Produkt_Records wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:02 am The only feature that I would like to really see would be a "super square/ super pulse" waveform similar to the supersaw.
When you select the Mulisaw as the oscillators, and turn the sub osc all the way to 100%, the saw super saw will turn into a super square (you just need to transpose it up 1 octave) ;)
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

adamtrance wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:06 am
Produkt_Records wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:02 am The only feature that I would like to really see would be a "super square/ super pulse" waveform similar to the supersaw.
When you select the Mulisaw as the oscillators, and turn the sub osc all the way to 100%, the saw super saw will turn into a super square (you just need to transpose it up 1 octave) ;)

Wow thanks! thats huge! As I really like that supersquare sound.. fantastic tip!

Return to “Instruments”