Viper (32 & 64 Bit available)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
wagtunes
KVRAF
14010 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 am

MyCo wrote:
Teksonik wrote:I hope it's an abject failure so people will stop playing with Flowstone and learn how to code a proper plugin.......is what I heard some guy say the other day. What a wank that guy is....... :x
Well, Viper is like 50% Assembler and %30% Ruby... Most of those "learn how to code" idiots couldn't even read that :dog:
Oh crap, I remember learning Assembler back in the 80s. Pop, push and all that convoluted crap just to add 1 and 1. Yeah, these guys eyes would cross just trying to make sense of it.

recursive one
KVRAF
3775 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Re: Viper (OUT NOW!)

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:02 am

Roman Wisniak wrote:
tristan- wrote:
Chris-S wrote:
ATN69 wrote:It's easy to work with Viper. The GUI and workflow is logical.
Is there a resize-option for the GUI? It's a bit small on my HD screen....

Concerning the comparison video Virus vs. Viper: Have the patches been converted by hand or is there a converter existing?
There's no way to patch convert between them. It's not a clone, yet its very similar.
Really? Couldn't be made using a script comparing/matching fxp files?
Virus presets are MIDI files, not fxb/fxp.
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...

SolidMind
KVRer
4 posts since 7 Jan, 2018

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:59 am

recursive one wrote: Virus presets are MIDI files, not fxb/fxp.
Virus presets are system exclusive data (.syx) If it was midi, it was easier to convert.

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2467 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:02 am

SolidMind wrote:
Virus presets are system exclusive data (.syx) If it was midi, it was easier to convert.
Virus TI uses 100% MIDI files (i have virus ti). I think it depends on the model, maybe earlier models use .syx.

recursive one
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:06 am

SolidMind wrote:
Virus TI reads banks having .mid file extension, they can even be "played" by a standard Wndows media player (without making any sound though). I guess they just contain data which Virus interprets as sysex.

Afaik it doesn't depend on the model cause I have a Cosmosis soundset which was originally programmed for Virus B and it is also a .mid file.

2ZrgE
KVRian
1176 posts since 30 Mar, 2011

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:10 am

recursive one wrote:Glad to see it's out, and TBH for me Viper is a true game changer. I see that some people may not have any attachment to Virus sound and for them Viper may be "yet another subtractive/supersaw synth" but I'm a big fan of the original machine and I believe that before Viper there was no convincing recreation of the whole Virus B/C sonic range in a VST form. Spire can do some of the "virusy" sounds but it's sonic character is still different, so it was "closest to Virus currently available" but not "as close to Virus as it gets".

- So well, does it sound like a Virus?

Yes, it does. As others have said, it will not necessary sound 100% the same at the same settings (therefore I think any kinds of patch converters, even if techncially possible, wouldn't make much sence) but it captures the overall sound and feel of Virus pretty well. Like Diva is "the spirit of analogue" I think Viper may be called "the spirit of Virus". It does these huge pads, floating sequences, nasty acid lines typically associated with Virus absolutely spot on. As a psytrance producer I especially appreciate how well the "pos triangle" FM mode is recreated which is essential for many kinds of psytrance sounds.

- OMG, it's 32 bit plugin, who on Earth uses 32 bit plugins, they will crash your DAW, ruin your projects and steal your beer!!!

That's not my experience. I'm using Viper in real projects in Studio One 3, 64 bit, with Jbridge, except that a project having many bridged Vipers loads a bit longer, there is no difference whatsoever compared to native 64 bit plugins. I never had crashes or lost any work due to Viper. I must admit that I often freeze Viper tracks but I basically freeze everything cause it's very handy to do this in Studio One. Compared to Virus Control plugin, which loads way too long and tends to crash more often than I'd like to, Viper offers much better stability and workflow.

So well, long story short, terrific emulation of one of the most essential digital synths. There still are some aspects of Virus TI not covered by Viper, like the analog filter, the wavetable oscillators, some of the distortion modes etc, but now I can actually write tracks without switching my Virus on at all and use Viper instead to get the same sounds.
"Sounds like a Virus" and "captures the overall sound and feel of Virus pretty well" are not exactly the same.

And those statements would go well with Sylenth, Zebra, Spire, to name some.

Unless a double blind test will say otherwise I guess people who own one of these synths (like me) above do already have a VSTs which "sounds like a Virus".

recursive one
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:25 am

2ZrgE wrote: "Sounds like a Virus" and "captures the overall sound and feel of Virus pretty well" are not exactly the same.

And those statements would go well with Sylenth, Zebra, Spire, to name some.

Unless a double blind test will say otherwise I guess people who own one of these synths (like me) above do already have a VSTs which "sounds like a Virus".
Did you ever own a Virus (any model)?

I was trying to get away from using mine at some point and tried to replace it with Spire, Serum, Sylenth and some others. There are certain kinds of patches which can technically be made with the above synths, but they sound vastly different and I prefer the Virus versions of them. Viper closes that gap for me - not fully as it has no wavetables, but certain sounds that are essential for me, like these FM psytrance leads, may be perfectly recreated in Viper, much better than may attempts in Serum or Spire.
Last edited by recursive one on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Distorted Horizon
KVRian
1348 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:40 am

2ZrgE wrote:And those statements would go well with..
I'm not sure you wanna start to argue about this with Recursive.. He might know a thing or two about this.

Of course you can if you want to but IMO it's pointless :lol:

2ZrgE
KVRian
1176 posts since 30 Mar, 2011

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:15 am

I won't argue about something unless proven in a more or less reliable manner. When it comes to one's hearing impressions I only rely on double blind tests, but everyone may feel free to have a different opinion on this topic.

As I haven't owened a Virus (yet) I of course cannot judge that matter. Let's wait for some blind tests, I'm sure they will pop up soon.

But surely I won't engage in another kind of that "Lossless is better than Mp@320, just because I can surely hear it and if you don't hear it it's your problem" kind of discussion.

recursive one
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:22 am

2ZrgE wrote:I won't argue about something unless proven in a more or less reliable manner. When it comes to one's hearing impressions I only rely on double blind tests, but everyone may feel free to have a different opinion on this topic.

As I haven't owened a Virus (yet) I of course cannot judge that matter. Let's wait for some blind tests, I'm sure they will pop up soon.

But surely I won't engage in another kind of that "Lossless is better than Mp@320, just because I can surely hear it and if you don't hear it it's your problem" kind of discussion.
What kind of "double blind tests" you think would be appropriate?

Granted that no other software synth actually replicates the whole feature set/signalflow of Virus.

Elektronisch
KVRAF
2467 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:38 am

2ZrgE wrote:I won't argue about something unless proven in a more or less reliable manner. When it comes to one's hearing impressions I only rely on double blind tests, but everyone may feel free to have a different opinion on this topic.

Here you go, 32 Bit quality wave file and for non purists 320kbbs mp3 file :D One is Viper and other is Virus :wink: I used settings from my Virus TI to match 1:1 to Viper, except for EQ :) For echo and reverb i used on both Echoboy and Valhallaroom. Tell me wich one is wich ? :)

MP3 https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydmjlbbwnjqxb ... 0.mp3?dl=0

Wave https://www.dropbox.com/s/phkz20ormvzsb ... s.wav?dl=0

SolidMind
KVRer
4 posts since 7 Jan, 2018

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:23 am

Elektronisch wrote:
SolidMind wrote:
Virus TI uses 100% MIDI files (i have virus ti). I think it depends on the model, maybe earlier models use .syx.
recursive one wrote:
SolidMind wrote:
Virus TI reads banks having .mid file extension, they can even be "played" by a standard Wndows media player (without making any sound though). I guess they just contain data which Virus interprets as sysex.

Afaik it doesn't depend on the model cause I have a Cosmosis soundset which was originally programmed for Virus B and it is also a .mid file.
Ah, I didn’t know that. :)
I owned an virus a once, and the soundbanks I still have, do have the file extension .syx. There was an option to send a bulk-dump to midi, this bulk-dump only contains the controller settings.

izonin
KVRian
1165 posts since 27 Oct, 2009

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:24 am

I say A is Viper and B is Virus.

Zexila
KVRAF
3182 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:28 am

B sounds good, hope it's Viper, but so close, doesn't even matter.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

recursive one
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:30 am

izonin wrote:
I say A is Viper and B is Virus.
I think A is MP3, B is wav :)

My guess is that Viper in both examples plays first. Second examples have a bit tighter sound.

But actually pretty negligible difference
Last edited by recursive one on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”