RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

EnochLight wrote:Is there anything that Rapid brings that might make me want to drop that sort of cash on it?
obviously not updates :D :D :D rapid and avenger seem to be pretty close. but at the moment avenger has more in it for the money. they share a preset designer too which might inidicate that the expansions sound similar to avengers ones.

frizzbee wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Is there anything that Rapid brings that might make me want to drop that sort of cash on it?
obviously not updates :D :D :D rapid and avenger seem to be pretty close. but at the moment avenger has more in it for the money. they share a preset designer too which might inidicate that the expansions sound similar to avengers ones.
Heh, good to know. I actually prefer Avenger's GUI/UX to Rapid as well (and I can resize it), so I think I'm good then. I actually picked up Thorn a week ago on a goof (scored it for a ridiculously low $69 USD), so I guess I'll pass on Rapid for now.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

To me it boiled down to the sound. when Rapid and Avenger came out around the same time, I was trialing both back and forth, and finally decided I like the Rapid sound character better (that was more important than more features at the time; assuming these big synths will slowly evolve anyway). So plunked down on Rapid; anytime I try Avenger again, I find I just don't like the sound as much.

I have Rapid and Avenger.
I love Rapid sounds and easy workflow.
I think Avenger sounds are good and powerfull,but imploved fetures are too much,GUI is Nightmare for me.
VST Mappings for Bitwig
--Bitwig 5/ Live10 Suite/ Maschine/ HP X360 8Core--

tedannemann wrote:Any news on the timing bug in macOS DAWs?
If this refers to the time shifting in rendered audio files, please, yes, is there any information on this?
See: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7093772

strovoknights wrote:I have Rapid and Avenger.
I love Rapid sounds and easy workflow.
I think Avenger sounds are good and powerfull,but imploved fetures are too much,GUI is Nightmare for me.
This completely reflects my experience too!

I see, hungry for more. Here we go!

[July] GUI Update :
  • Classic, Dark and various coloured themes will be provided by us for free.
  • New 100% resolution will be 1280 x 720 px (making it wider) and support for scaling up to 4K.
  • Optional switch for OpenGL rendering capabilities, to move processing load to GPU.
  • Overhaul of all default graphics (knobs, display, panels) plus a few workflow enhancements
  • 3rd party themes via theme manager.
[July-August] FX Update:
  • Glitch. Use Sequence A to D to jump back and forth in time.
  • Pitch Shift. By -/+ 12 Semitone, also with settable buffer size.
  • Reverse. A kind of reverse buffered delay. Especially useful for drums/loops/attacks.
  • Tonal Delay. Instead of a BPM based, the timing is related to a tuning ratio.
  • Multiband Saturator. 4 Bands. Various FX per band including Asymmetric Clip, Foldover, Rectify, Rate Reduce, Ring Mod, -/+ Feedback and more.
As you may have noticed, besides saturator all effects heavily focus on time based processing. Combining them should allow insane FX chains you never even thought of.

[July-August] Supernova XT:
  • A very spacey FM-Synth inspired kind of sound, together with breakbeats. Some sequences already utilize the new Glitch FX.
  • 130 new presets plus as always all showcase presets.
  • 58 new wavetables.
  • 88 new multi-samples.
  • This time as a BONUS, all FL Studio project files (~12 tracks) of our demo showcase will be included.
[August-...]
  • More XTs.
  • More STUFF of course, but at this moment a bit too speculative.
@Development:
I really hope everything will went smooth, so the release is this still month.

You may ask, why does this take so long? Right. Although it has the top most priority, we were also developing new FX modules and try to strategically plan new features. Also, from a coders perspective, there is a lot happening in the background you might not see, but stuff is prepared, cleaned, together with occasional code maintenance. Not complaining, just have a bit of patience. You can expect new stuff.

About new feature proposals, bug-notices or other complains. Send a mail, this is the safest way to reach us. There is no way to implements/change/fix everything immediately. But it's noted in a TODO-List which constantly gets sorted by priority.

In the meantime I hope all of you will drop a few singles. Show us how you use Rapid in your production if you like. Gives use always an extra motivational boost. :)
Last edited by parawave on Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

parawave wrote:I see, hungry for more. Here we go!
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see the new GUI/skins.
synzh wrote:To me it boiled down to the sound. when Rapid and Avenger came out around the same time, I was trialing both back and forth, and finally decided I like the Rapid sound character better (that was more important than more features at the time; assuming these big synths will slowly evolve anyway). So plunked down on Rapid; anytime I try Avenger again, I find I just don't like the sound as much.
Same. I had to decide between Rapid, Avenger and ANA 2.
I chose Rapid for the sound and GUI layout (not the skin).

parawave wrote:
[June] GUI Update :
  • Classic, Dark and various coloured themes will be provided by us for free.
  • New 100% resolution will be 1280 x 720 px (making it wider) and support for scaling up to 4K.
  • Optional switch for OpenGL rendering capabilities, to move processing load to GPU.
  • Overhaul of all default graphics (knobs, display, panels) plus a few workflow enhancements
  • 3rd party themes via theme manager.
[June-July] FX Update:
  • Glitch. Use Sequence A to D to jump back and forth in time.
  • Pitch Shift. By -/+ 12 Semitone, also with settable buffer size.
  • Reverse. A kind of reverse buffered delay. Especially useful for drums/loops/attacks.
  • Tonal Delay. Instead of a BPM based, the timing is related to a tuning ratio.
  • Multiband Saturator. 4 Bands. Various FX per band including Asymmetric Clip, Foldover, Rectify, Rate Reduce, Ring Mod, -/+ Feedback and more.
Woah :D :party:

exmatproton wrote: Woah :D :party:
+1

Is there any technical reason to not make the pitch shifter MUCH more extreme, like 12 octaves ! Even if it creates artifacts etc. Merely because for pure oddball effect this can be pretty cool. People can still use it over a 12 semitone range if that is what is needed. Better to give more and let people choose less if they need only that. In fact a LOT of synths could be more interesting using that approach IMO.

Also can you make any effects inserts with some kind of other interesting odd effects like timestretching/formant shifting/granular shifting/grain delays/frequency shifting. I for one think such effects would be very useful in a synth to really be able to manipulate time/formants/ pitch in radical ways can make for very cool spaced out effects. (not sure if there is such a thing as the basic "module code" for such processes - like the biquad eq algo) They don't have to be perfect artifact free options across extreme ranges initially, just cazy so sounds can be warped in a psychedelic way. Sometimes I wish developers would extend the range of such effects and not just stick within their artifact free range, somestimes you want to twist things up. Even if they are not master mind coders of such things... just because it can be the artifacts that actually get used and turn into classic sounds for specific genres.

Take AKAI Cyclic timestrech mode on D&B as an example.

Are there also expansions planed which are no EDM, dance and trance ?
Maybe techhouse, minimal or melodic techno

synzh wrote:To me it boiled down to the sound. when Rapid and Avenger came out around the same time, I was trialing both back and forth, and finally decided I like the Rapid sound character better (that was more important than more features at the time; assuming these big synths will slowly evolve anyway). So plunked down on Rapid; anytime I try Avenger again, I find I just don't like the sound as much.
What is the sound character in a nutshell, compared to the others?

fluffy_little_something wrote:What is the sound character in a nutshell, compared to the others?
Rapid just sounds incredibly fat. The sound is as powerful, almost compressed but still sounds incredibly fresh, transparent and clear. Many virtual synthesizers sometimes sound too dull or somehow fizzy and thin. For me Rapid combines all these sound characteristics in one instrument, so I just love the sound!
When I use or just listen to presets from Mirko in Nexus, Avenger and Rapid, Rapid blows the others away immediately soundwise - at least to my ears!

How’s the June update coming along?

Return to “Instruments”