RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

[*]Insert gain will be separated from the existing insert, introducing a new Mix Module with stereo balance per voice.
This will be very useful.
Stereo balance and band split are important points for layer sound creation.

Anyway, I am looking forward to new sounds. :party:
It is even more nice if you can add a simmer type reverb to the formant sound.

parawave wrote: [July] GUI Update :
  • Classic, Dark and various coloured themes will be provided by us for free.
  • New 100% resolution will be 1280 x 720 px (making it wider) and support for scaling up to 4K.
  • Optional switch for OpenGL rendering capabilities, to move processing load to GPU.
  • Overhaul of all default graphics (knobs, display, panels) plus a few workflow enhancements
  • 3rd party themes via theme manager.
Are these changes still on track for this month? The GUI improvements will be a big boost for Rapid. :)

Are there any screenshots you could share?

Benjamin923 wrote:Are these changes still on track for this month? The GUI improvements will be a big boost for Rapid. :)
Yes.

Maybe it was unclear, but the new insert + filters are additional to the new GUI features, not mentioned previously.
Benjamin923 wrote:Are there any screenshots you could share?
Not at the moment. Personally not a friend of half finished previews. A lot is done, but some details are missing. Will post screens of all designs as soon as they are finished.

Fair enough. Very excited about this update! :D

Parawave Audio is still developing the new GUI and you will see, it will be awesome. It took more time than we thought and I can't wait for it anymore, like you all. But just a few day :-D

So what will I create in this time? New XTs? Sure, there are some new XTs waiting for the new update, because they're using new features which are not available in the current version.
Which functions? Let me show you what we developed the last weeks for RAPID.
Yes, I am now part of development too. I generally helped and planned some new FX, like the mentioned MB Saturator, Glitch, Tonal Delay and more.

Yesterday we finished a lot of new OSC-Inserts I can confirm now. Wanna see? :-)
Here we go ..

- Bend Mid
- Bend Double
- Mirror A
- Mirror B
- Mirror C
- Sync Add
- Formant Shift
- Flip
- Asymetric Distortion
- Overlap 2x
- Overlap 3x

The new Inserts are so awesome. How they work in detail? I will explain it in some videos shortly before we release the new version. ;-)

Btw. the new RAPID version will draw the Shapes in the Osc with the insert-fx in use. So you cn also see, what they are doing exactly.

If you have more ideas for Osc inserts, let me know. ;-)
Last edited by Mirko R. on Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mirko R. wrote:(yes, I am also developing now. René makes the GUI and I created some new FX like the mentioned MB Saturator, Glitch, Tonal Delay,...).
I knew it! :lol: that's good to hear..
The new Inserts are so awesome. How they work in detail? I will explain it in some videos shortly before we release the new version. ;-)

Btw. the new RAPID version will draw the Shapes in the Osc with the insert-fx in use. So you cn also see, what they are doing exactly.
Fantastic features that will hugely improve Rapid :love:
If you have more ideas for Osc inserts, let me know. ;-)
How about some of these thoughts:

1. Phase mod by Osc (x): Taking the output of Osc B for example to modulate the phase of Osc A (like real Phase Modulation between two oscillators).

2. Signal input detection: Whenever a zero crossing happens from internal Osc3 for example or from external source, OscA will produce an output, the value can be inverted, like if a kick drum produces, the Oscillator will be muted, otherwise will sound (to make an offbeat bassline with no need to reserve an ARP for this layer).

3. Not sure if many find this one feature interesting, but it would be a good idea to let the Wavetable samples or better yet the sfz multisamples to get an FM by next oscillators, to create some wild synthesis as in Yamaha SY99 AFM. Okay that feature is somehow being implemented in Omnisphere 2 I believe, but it can be improved by making the amount of the FM or PM controlled by Mod Matrix.

Other suggestion, not related to Oscillator section but for the Layer section or Rapid engine generally.
A possibility to make a breakpoint to ARP note output range, this will make Arpeggiators to maintain the melodic structure regardless of what midi input note range will be entered.
Why not also to add an output note range limit (given values for low / high keys) to prevent traditional artifacts of playing notes too high or too low.

--- I guess you guys will delete my Rapid license after reading all that --- :hihi:

phreaque wrote: 2. Signal input detection: Whenever a zero crossing happens from internal Osc3 for example or from external source, OscA will produce an output, the value can be inverted, like if a kick drum produces, the Oscillator will be muted, otherwise will sound (to make an offbeat bassline with no need to reserve an ARP for this layer).
Rapid has a built-in sidechain, i think it's more convenient to use that for offbeat patterns. Or you can use the trancegate for more complex patters.
phreaque wrote: 3. Not sure if many find this one feature interesting, but it would be a good idea to let the Wavetable samples or better yet the sfz multisamples to get an FM by next oscillators, to create some wild synthesis as in Yamaha SY99 AFM. Okay that feature is somehow being implemented in Omnisphere 2 I believe, but it can be improved by making the amount of the FM or PM controlled by Mod Matrix.
This would be absolutely awesome, but there was some discussion about FM in Rapid some time ago. Iirc Rene thinks that "naive" FM (how he calls it) produces too much bad sounding artifacts and he wants to make a dedicated FM oscillator instead.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

phreaque wrote: 1. Phase mod by Osc (x): Taking the output of Osc B for example to modulate the phase of Osc A (like real Phase Modulation between two oscillators).
Is in the pipeline but after release. I want it, too, but this is a bit complex so we have to add a bit in the osc-structure.
phreaque wrote: 2. Signal input detection: Whenever a zero crossing happens from internal Osc3 for example or from external source, OscA will produce an output, the value can be inverted, like if a kick drum produces, the Oscillator will be muted, otherwise will sound (to make an offbeat bassline with no need to reserve an ARP for this layer).
Do you mean an envelope follower like a compressor to "duck" one osc by another one? should also be interesting. the fx factor wheel could control the release time and the fx amount the ducking amount.
phreaque wrote: 3. Not sure if many find this one feature interesting, but it would be a good idea to let the Wavetable samples or better yet the sfz multisamples to get an FM by next oscillators, to create some wild synthesis as in Yamaha SY99 AFM. Okay that feature is somehow being implemented in Omnisphere 2 I believe, but it can be improved by making the amount of the FM or PM controlled by Mod Matrix.
What is the difference between this and point 1?
phreaque wrote: Other suggestion, not related to Oscillator section but for the Layer section or Rapid engine generally.
A possibility to make a breakpoint to ARP note output range, this will make Arpeggiators to maintain the melodic structure regardless of what midi input note range will be entered.
Why not also to add an output note range limit (given values for low / high keys) to prevent traditional artifacts of playing notes too high or too low.
I had the same idea in the past (I think, if I understood you correctly). For Example, you have a bassline played by the arp with different notes like [C2, E2, G2, A2]. If I press C2 all notes will play in this range, but if I press a lower key, the lowest notes of the arp could be too low. They have to jump an octave higher. Right?
phreaque wrote: --- I guess you guys will delete my Rapid license after reading all that --- :hihi:
of course. who do you think you are? xD
seriously, we're thanksful for cool new ideas. So thanks a lot! :-)

greetz

recursive one wrote:
This would be absolutely awesome, but there was some discussion about FM in Rapid some time ago. Iirc Rene thinks that "naive" FM (how he calls it) produces too much bad sounding artifacts and he wants to make a dedicated FM oscillator instead.
He thought it, but I also want it and I could convince him to include it. But after the GUI release. ;-)

Mirko R. wrote: I could convince him to include it.
:tu: :party:
Mirko R. wrote: But after the GUI release. ;-)
:(
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Mirko R. wrote:Do you mean an envelope follower like a compressor to "duck" one osc by another one? should also be interesting. the fx factor wheel could control the release time and the fx amount the ducking amount.
Exactly! Could adjust the triggering / ducking too, to offset the note of target oscillator :love:
3. Not sure if many find this one feature interesting, but it would be a good idea to let the Wavetable samples or better yet the sfz multisamples to get an FM by next oscillators, to create some wild synthesis as in Yamaha SY99 AFM. Okay that feature is somehow being implemented in Omnisphere 2 I believe, but it can be improved by making the amount of the FM or PM controlled by Mod Matrix.

What is the difference between this and point 1?
Actually I thought PM or FM for sfz requires a much complex algorithm, but since you all are thinking to improve the FM part, then surely the outcome will be better than what I stated :)
had the same idea in the past (I think, if I understood you correctly). For Example, you have a bassline played by the arp with different notes like [C2, E2, G2, A2]. If I press C2 all notes will play in this range, but if I press a lower key, the lowest notes of the arp could be too low. They have to jump an octave higher. Right?
Yes sir that's absolutely what I mean.
phreaque wrote: --- I guess you guys will delete my Rapid license after reading all that --- :hihi:
Mirko R. wrote:of course. who do you think you are? xD
seriously, we're thanksful for cool new ideas. So thanks a lot! :-)

greetz
:lol: I'm a Rapid fanboy
Thank you so much Mirko, you are a great person. And thanks for sharing those snippets with us, looking eagerly to see the upcoming update...
Great luck to you all :tu:

recursive one wrote:
It would be a cool feature, no questions about that. But will it be the easiest and best sounding implementations? Not sure at the moment.
We already thought about it, there are multiple ways to do it. Essentially it comes down to..
  • Will the actual output sum of the oscillator modulate the true frequency (attention to DC part of the modulator here).
OR
  • Will there be a chained hidden sub oscillator, using the waveform of oscillator B, applying Phase modulation per unison voice.
In either of these cases, it would be awesome to chain the modulation like
OSC A -> OSC B -> OSC C
Or even allow wild stuff like
A -> B and B -> A
Which is not so easy if you think about it :)

parawave wrote:
recursive one wrote:
It would be a cool feature, no questions about that. But will it be the easiest and best sounding implementations? Not sure at the moment.
We already thought about it, there are multiple ways to do it. Essentially it comes down to..
  • Will the actual output sum of the oscillator modulate the true frequency (attention to DC part of the modulator here).
OR
  • Will there be a chained hidden sub oscillator, using the waveform of oscillator B, applying Phase modulation per unison voice.
In either of these cases, it would be awesome to chain the modulation like
OSC A -> OSC B -> OSC C
Or even allow wild stuff like
A -> B and B -> A
Which is not so easy if you think about it :)
https://chrisarndt.de/files/yamaha/SY%2 ... df#page=22
Check the link above, it may help at some point.
AFAIK, your 2nd approach of having a hidden chained sub-oscillator (or can it be a fundamental copy of destination oscillator?) will ensure to give a cleaner sound, and in dependency for each unison voice.
That's indeed a hard one, especially it's being applied to multisamples or wavetables.

Honestly, just knowing that you're planning to make such type of synthesis, is a very positive thing, even if it would take time.
Appreciate your efforts :)

Any news?
I'm wating for Summer Deals for XTs! :)
VST Mappings for Bitwig
--Bitwig 5/ Live10 Suite/ Maschine/ HP X360 8Core--

any summer deal for RAPID??

Return to “Instruments”