RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

Been playing whole day with this update, excellent stuff. In 1.9 I would love to see msegs and updated BP and HP filters, than, this synth will be complete to me.

@bmanic I believe in an earlier post, parawave said that "mod via" and modulating modulators will be coming at some point. So sounds like it's only a matter of time and priority.

bmanic wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:43 pm
Caine123 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:06 pm isadly cannot still test it as im not back but how is the GRANULAR engine's soundquality ompared to AVENGER?
The granular part was the most impressive thing about the new version in my opinion. It's far less taxing on CPU than Avenger or Pigments (and most of my own Reaktor ensembles) but still sounds really good. I also very much like the controls and layout of how the granular section works.

If I do purchase Rapid now due to the discount, it's because the granular stuff alone. I'd still probably be massively frustrated by the lack of modulation capabilities. Again, key tracking is such a key feature for abusing interesting short length granular sounds due to how grain count + length + shape directly affects the "comb filter" like sound that happens, and thus the actual pitch of the cluster.

There's not much missing in terms of modulation capabilities in Rapid to upgrade it from average/vanilla to something spectacular. All the founding blocks are already in place.
so far my experiences with Parawave were very well! always responsive and open for suggestions. i hope they wont change as Manuel/Vengeane in a bad way for technial stuff. and it also got like Avenger constant free updates. there are also many presets added for free as well. it still is missing some stuff like the MSEGs, a better? mod matrix view (i hate the one we got now....). and some stuff i dont remember atm but im sure they will enhance, add it all.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

bmanic wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:43 pm
Caine123 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:06 pm isadly cannot still test it as im not back but how is the GRANULAR engine's soundquality ompared to AVENGER?
The granular part was the most impressive thing about the new version in my opinion. It's far less taxing on CPU than Avenger or Pigments (and most of my own Reaktor ensembles) but still sounds really good. I also very much like the controls and layout of how the granular section works.

If I do purchase Rapid now due to the discount, it's because the granular stuff alone. I'd still probably be massively frustrated by the lack of modulation capabilities. Again, key tracking is such a key feature for abusing interesting short length granular sounds due to how grain count + length + shape directly affects the "comb filter" like sound that happens, and thus the actual pitch of the cluster.

There's not much missing in terms of modulation capabilities in Rapid to upgrade it from average/vanilla to something spectacular. All the founding blocks are already in place.
Wait...keytracking is available as a mod source.

I think bmanic wanted keytracking as a modulator of modulators.

Caine123 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:39 pm
5Lives wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:32 am No MSEGs yet it seems, though apparently in 1.9. Wonder what the ETA is for that!
yes MSEG's are a must! i love those
We already planted a few MSEGs in our synthesizer garden. We water them every day. I'm sure some day they will grow up and be some fine MSEGs.

Dirtgrain wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:02 am
bmanic wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:49 pm It's one of the fundamental building blocks of something like Camel Audio Alchemy and one of the main reasons it is so powerful. You can custom shape any modulation source's input to any output target range.
What other VSTs do this? I want to try it out--but not sure any I own have this capability.
The only ones to my knowledge that do this in the VST world are Melda's plugins and Falcon. I'm sure there are others, but it's rare.

@bmanic insists that Pigments does it. It doesn't. Pigments lets one mod source modify another modulation assignment's output, as do many other synths. The only way to get close to this in Rapid is to modulate the same target with two separate modulators, but that's not quite the same thing.

But to map a specific contour onto a modulator's output, Melda's the only one I've seen this with.
Last edited by teilo on Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

parawave wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:55 pm
We already planted a few MSEGs in our synthesizer garden. We water them every day. I'm sure some day they will grow up and be some fine MSEGs.
Fantastic! You guys are doing a solid job :tu:
Last edited by Neon Breath on Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It would be good to see a preset tagging system, so you set favourites like in which you can with U-HE's Hive 2 browser. But surely it couldn't be too difficult to even create a basic star marking system for patches so you can keep track of patches you like besides being faster to identify.

Hive 2

Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Neon Breath wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:44 pm
parawave wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:55 pm
Caine123 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:39 pm
5Lives wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:32 am No MSEGs yet it seems, though apparently in 1.9. Wonder what the ETA is for that!
yes MSEG's are a must! i love those
Fantastic! You guys are doing a solid job :tu:
hey Neon breath what is your opinion on Rapid's Granular Engine? cause i know you are a granular nerd i trust :).
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:45 pm It would be good to see a preset tagging system, so you set favourites like in which you can with U-HE's Hive 2 browser. But surely it couldn't be too difficult to even create a basic star marking system for patches so you can keep track of patches you like besides being faster to identify.

Hive 2
Already destined for 1.8.5

https://parawave-audio.com/rapid_roadmap
rsp
sound sculptist

@Caine: Can’t really say as I did not experiment with it enough yet but so far I think it is a clear winner. Sound quality of the granular engine is top notch and more importantly, is very easy to use. I need to test it more... But I think I will buy it as a grain companion for my Padshop :)

cb8rwh wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:52 pm I think bmanic wanted keytracking as a modulator of modulators.
Which is possible (in a sense). Just 'keytrack-mod' the depth of the modulators.

exmatproton wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:50 pm
Wait...keytracking is available as a mod source.
Of course it is.. but you don't have any control at all over that key tracking, how it is actually mapped. What if I want sort of unipolar keytracking going from only C3 upwards? What if I want it to only track C1 to C2? There are tons of cases where some cool sound design can be done by carefully mapping how various sources behave depending on where on the keys you play the sound.

This is partially why acoustic instruments can be so "characterful" and awesome to play. Guitar notes sound very different depending on where on the neck you play them. Low piano notes have very different timbre (not just the pitch) to higher notes.

Same interesting dynamic playability can be had on synthesizer sounds over the whole keyboard range if proper attention to detail is given for modulation.
Last edited by bmanic on Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

exmatproton wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:18 pm
cb8rwh wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:52 pm I think bmanic wanted keytracking as a modulator of modulators.
Which is possible (in a sense). Just 'keytrack-mod' the depth of the modulators.
Try to do this: Modulate Cutoff frequency with an envelope. Now modulate that envelopes depth with velocity.. and now modulate that velocity with key tracking.

Yeah. No can do.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Instruments”