RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

So far I am really liking Rapid but is there a reason why the Master Output level for all patches is set to maximum?
Is there any way to make it default to, say, 60% or any other level? I tried searching these 258 pages and the User Guide but so far drew a blank. Thanks in advance.

ZincT wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:30 pm So far I am really liking Rapid but is there a reason why the Master Output level for all patches is set to maximum?
Is there any way to make it default to, say, 60% or any other level? I tried searching these 258 pages and the User Guide but so far drew a blank. Thanks in advance.
I think because there isn't, and that it's set that way so people can't complain they can't hear the patches. Another reason is that it's easier to set the volume to max and forget about it, rather than to fiddle with getting the value levels right correctly. I think initially with Rapid that there wasn't any value representation to look at in past versions, just a visual approximation of where the levels of the knobs were set at, therefore when the knob goes no further, you know everything remains the same level if you don't otherwise alter the gain knobs, when creating many patches.

But yes, I agree there should be a way to set the default master level as I often find the volume just way too loud within Studio One when used with other synths, which typically have the master volumes set to no more than around 50 - 75% by default, (above that is really going into the red zone). The 100% level does annoy me a bit, as always having to remember to reduce the DAW's track fader if not otherwise on Rapid itself within Studio One compared to other VST synths which are similarly equal in volume level, isn't helpful or in some instances nice on the ear.

The only solution really is to load the patches and resave them at the lower level.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Thanks for your response @The Intrancer.
It does get annoying constantly reaching for the Master Output when auditioning patches.

I might contact support and see if they would consider adding a "set default" or maybe a lock option on the Master Output.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:43 pm
ZincT wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:30 pm So far I am really liking Rapid but is there a reason why the Master Output level for all patches is set to maximum?..
I Another reason is that it's easier to set the volume to max and forget about it, rather than to fiddle with getting the value levels right correctly. ... you know everything remains the same level if you don't otherwise alter the gain knobs, when creating many patches.

But yes, I agree there should be a way to set the default master level as I often find the volume just way too loud within Studio One when used with other synths ...
A "default output level" option is planned.
You're right. Part of the thought process behind this is that it's easy to balance between different DAWs. From a DSP standpoint the signals are generated at 0 dBFS (digital), so the full floating point dynamic range is used. In the end it's better to "just reduce" a signal than to "reduce it and increase it again".

To be honest we never thought this would be an issue, since most of the time plugins will output into a mixer channel, which can easily lower the fader.

I'm not sure what it is, but often times when I start up Rapid, the UI is lagging really badly. It usually goes away once I restart the DAW, but that is quite annoying and has lead me to pick a different synth most of the time in the past two or three weeks. Did anyone experience that as well? I should probably try to re-install.

Never had this problem, everything works smooth here!

gondii wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:08 pm I'm not sure what it is, but often times when I start up Rapid, the UI is lagging really badly. It usually goes away once I restart the DAW, but that is quite annoying and has lead me to pick a different synth most of the time in the past two or three weeks. Did anyone experience that as well? I should probably try to re-install.
What exactly do you mean by lagging? If you look at the waveforms, do they appear at a lower framerate? Or is the UI not responsive, like a mouse click takes seconds longer to respond?

It was working before, right? So it must be something specific. Try this. Goto:
C:\ProgramData\Parawave\Rapid
or
/Library/Parawave/Rapid/
and delete the settings.xml and settings_fx.xml
Then restart Rapid. This will reinitialize the settings.

parawave wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:02 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:43 pm
ZincT wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:30 pm So far I am really liking Rapid but is there a reason why the Master Output level for all patches is set to maximum?..
I Another reason is that it's easier to set the volume to max and forget about it, rather than to fiddle with getting the value levels right correctly. ... you know everything remains the same level if you don't otherwise alter the gain knobs, when creating many patches.

But yes, I agree there should be a way to set the default master level as I often find the volume just way too loud within Studio One when used with other synths ...
A "default output level" option is planned.
You're right. Part of the thought process behind this is that it's easy to balance between different DAWs. From a DSP standpoint the signals are generated at 0 dBFS (digital), so the full floating point dynamic range is used. In the end it's better to "just reduce" a signal than to "reduce it and increase it again".

To be honest we never thought this would be an issue, since most of the time plugins will output into a mixer channel, which can easily lower the fader.
Ok thanks for the response and for the plan to have a "default output level" option. I would rather start conservative and turn up as necessary so it would be useful for me :tu: .

parawave wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:16 pm What exactly do you mean by lagging? If you look at the waveforms, do they appear at a lower framerate? Or is the UI not responsive, like a mouse click takes seconds longer to respond?

It was working before, right? So it must be something specific. Try this. Goto:
C:\ProgramData\Parawave\Rapid
or
/Library/Parawave/Rapid/
and delete the settings.xml and settings_fx.xml
Then restart Rapid. This will reinitialize the settings.
I meant the UI is lagging really bad. Like I change a layer and it takes two seconds to switch. Same with dragging a button or even the entire windows. Almost feels like my CPU is maxing out, but it's not - the CPU indicators are fine, I have a decently powerful system and not much else open at the same time. Correct, I did not have that problem in the beginning and suddenly it happened without any discernible reason. If I close Rapid and open any other synth or plugin there is no problem.

I'm going to try you fix right now, thanks a lot.

Edit: That seemed to have done the track, thanks!

Feature request: please add multi-out. I don't see it on the roadmap. :(

anoise wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:39 am Feature request: please add multi-out. I don't see it on the roadmap. :(
+1

gondii wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:14 pm Edit: That seemed to have done the track, thanks!
unfortunately I was wrong. I have three tracks loaded (XO, Geist2 and Rapid). I have 64gb of Ram and Ableton reads out 2% CPU load. It takes about 4 seconds to switch from one layer to the next. I throw out Rapid and load up any other synth, it's fine. goddamn...

I had the Rapid issue of a screen delay too when switching layers or the envelopes / LFO pages in Bitwig and Ableton.. I solved it by setting them to run as administrator.. I have no idea why that sorted it but worked for me..

pizzatime wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:03 pm I had the Rapid issue of a screen delay too when switching layers or the envelopes / LFO pages in Bitwig and Ableton.. I solved it by setting them to run as administrator.. I have no idea why that sorted it but worked for me..
That sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you elaborate?

I am on Windows, I just right clicked on Ableton.exe file and changed it to run as administrator.. worked with Bitwig and Ableton where it was taking ages to open and switch between layers etc.. runs fine on both now.

Return to “Instruments”