IS FM synthesis your goto?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
fmr
KVRAF
9285 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:01 pm

Lotuzia wrote: NI FM8 adds a lot of possibilities. Especially because FM algorithms become totally user configurable. And a few other things. Total freedom is always something to consider.
The SY/TG77 and SY99 also have this total freedom (only accessible via MIDI Sys-Ex) where you could configure the operator at your will (free algorithm).
Fernando (FMR)

Lotuzia
KVRAF
10220 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Re: IS FM synthesis your goto?

Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:19 pm

Thanks for reminding this ( I also have a TG :oops: ) I remember I made a few sounds with this feature, but I had totally forgotten it ( But then it was on a friend's SY and iirc he also had a PC editor that helped)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

liquidsound
KVRAF
2950 posts since 30 May, 2006 from Hollow Earth

Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:25 pm

Still learning it, I find Operator the easiest synth to get things done with FM.
MuLab.Ableton.Diva.Zebra.Repro-1.Dune2.The Legend.ArcSyn.Spire.TAL

gremlinmoon
KVRist
168 posts since 9 Dec, 2006

Post Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:38 am

I use 2-OP "with a twist" FM fairly often for clangy and discordant bell sounds but I do most of my sound design late at night and adjusting multi-op envelopes at the bewitching hour puts me to sleep. Literally.

If I have the opportunity to make music at 10am with a couple cups of coffee I go straight to Sytrus.

Something that I have been doing too is using the "FM" waveforms included with Arcsyn which is the VST I am currently obsessed with.

sin night
KVRian
1259 posts since 1 Aug, 2006 from Italy

Post Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:42 am

FM is not my goto, I click more with subtractive synthesis... I need filters.
2-operatores FM is very welcome in a subtractive synth, it opens a lot of possibilities while being still easy to manage.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12922 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:04 am

Although I know how FM works in theory, it is just not intuitive enough for me to invest time and energy in. It just doesn't appeal to me, although I do like some FM sounds like that infamous DX bass and Rhodes.

liquidsound
KVRAF

Post Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:23 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:Although I know how FM works in theory, it is just not intuitive enough for me to invest time and energy in. It just doesn't appeal to me, although I do like some FM sounds like that infamous DX bass and Rhodes.
It's an old popular video, very short, but that's what made me approach FM with more courage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziFv00PegJg

Too bad part 2 was never made. Best explanation evere.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12922 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:38 am

liquidsound wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Although I know how FM works in theory, it is just not intuitive enough for me to invest time and energy in. It just doesn't appeal to me, although I do like some FM sounds like that infamous DX bass and Rhodes.
It's an old popular video, very short, but that's what made me approach FM with more courage.

That^s what I meant, I know how it works in theory, but I lack the intuitive knowledge of the connection between settings and resulting sounds. With a subtractive sznth I know how to set parameters in order to get a sound I have in my head.

liquidsound
KVRAF

Post Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:12 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:
liquidsound wrote:

That^s what I meant, I know how it works in theory, but I lack the intuitive knowledge of the connection between settings and resulting sounds. With a subtractive sznth I know how to set parameters in order to get a sound I have in my head.
I know, but in time, if you can spare some, it will come to pass.
Btw, unexpected results are quite often inspiring and stunning.

melodyz
KVRist
317 posts since 29 Mar, 2016

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:08 am

Hi Liquid sound

Can you please remove or edit that youtube video? That guy may know how to explain fm but I dont like his language at the intro.

Apostate
KVRian
1207 posts since 16 Sep, 2006

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:14 am

The only "'specialized" FM synth I use regularly is Nemesis (I like FM8 and Sytrus, but simply prefer the sound of Tone2).

However, I "do" FM in most of my other (tons of) synths, especially Blue II and Zebra/HZ.

melodyz wrote:Hi Liquid sound

Can you please remove or edit that youtube video? That guy may know how to explain fm but I dont like his language at the intro.
:lol:

Oh dear.
Last edited by Apostate on Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ha ha suck it!

liquidsound
KVRAF

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:16 am

I can't edit that video.
My post has a reply so I can't remove that either.
I suggest not to look at the video. It is fine for YouTube community policy. :shrug:

Apostate
KVRian

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:18 am

liquidsound wrote:

I can't edit that video.
My post has a reply so I cant remove that either.
I suggest not to look at the video. It is fine for YouTube community policy. :shrug:
I'm still cracking up. Grow up, Liquid Sound. One f-bomb ain't gonna hurt anyone, Betty White.
Ha ha suck it!

liquidsound
KVRAF

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:54 am

Apostate wrote:
liquidsound wrote:

I can't edit that video.
I'm still cracking up. Grow up, Liquid Sound. One f-bomb ain't gonna hurt anyone, Betty White.
It ain't me complaining Apostate.
"melodyz" has an issue with the f-bomb or the fm-bomb in this case :hihi:

Apostate
KVRian

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:54 am

liquidsound wrote:
Apostate wrote:
liquidsound wrote:

I can't edit that video.
It ain't me complaining Apostate.
"melodyz" has an issue with the f-bomb or the fm-bomb in this case :hihi:
Sorry, man. It IS pretty funny though, huh. :clown:
Ha ha suck it!

Return to “Instruments”