PRODUCTS

Apostate wrote:Sorry, man. It IS pretty funny though, huh. :clown:
He actually muted "what the", which is funny :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Apostate wrote:Sorry, man. It IS pretty funny though, huh. :clown:
He actually muted "what the", which is funny :hihi:
Even more offensive!
Ha ha suck it!

The best way I have learned to program FM8 is to program FM8. Grab a preset and FthatSU - in situ, in a song, because that's where you find out what you're doing, how minor changes in one op will affect the modulation of other ops. Work in expert mode. Play with the ops' envelopes.

I'm probably going to get called out for my ignorance here, but the FM8 is probably the best Chowning-style FM synth out there, hardware or software.

SODDI wrote:The best way I have learned to program FM8 is to program FM8. Grab a preset and FthatSU - in situ, in a song, because that's where you find out what you're doing, how minor changes in one op will affect the modulation of other ops. Work in expert mode. Play with the ops' envelopes.

I'm probably going to get called out for my ignorance here, but the FM8 is probably the best Chowning-style FM synth out there, hardware or software.
I like that synth, but for almost never use it. I do know that I prefer the workflow and overall sound of Sytrus better. But then, I like that whole Harmor/Sytrus gui-style to begin with.
Ha ha suck it!

That's exactly my reaction when I got my DX7 a SamAsh when it first came out.
I looked at the list of algorithms and the little edit screen :cry:
And trust me it sounded way worse than the video :tu:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

SODDI wrote:The best way I have learned to program FM8 is to program FM8. Grab a preset and FthatSU - in situ, in a song, because that's where you find out what you're doing, how minor changes in one op will affect the modulation of other ops. Work in expert mode. Play with the ops' envelopes.

Yes. FM8 has a very clear way of showing the flow of the interaction among Operators (?)
Sytrus and Octopus are very similar but not as visually helpful as in the FM8 IMO

liquidsound wrote:

Yes. FM8 has a very clear way of showing the flow of the interaction among Operators (?)
Sytrus and Octopus are very similar but not as visually helpful as in the FM8 IMO
Toxic Biohazard anyone?
Fernando (FMR)

Similar Matrix as the two above...

FM is simply beautiful. I think that should be mentioned here, although it requires some Patience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvr8x9t ... e=youtu.be

I think FM is a really interesting modality... I grew up when the DX7 appeared with a whole lot of exciting new stuff that normal musicians (or not) could afford.
FM8 is definitely good, but although a lot more user friendly than predecessors, it needs a lot of work.
The Elektron Digitone is a good compromise to start on ... good useful sounds are easy to create ... and a lot more than the 1 or 2 operator FM options on many synths where it's a modulation like Ring or PWM rather than synthesis ... there's a very educational video by Loopop that is worth a watch even if you take the principles to another synth.
I am looking forward to the Kodamo Essence FM synthesizer ... it might be FM8 in a box for a new decade, with MPE, massive polyphony and all sorts of new ideas ... vastly more exciting to me than yet another re-make of last century analog subtractive technology...

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

I would like to get a Digitone...

In software, Bazille is my favorite FM synth.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:18 am I would like to get a Digitone...

I love my Digitone, it’s so easy to make stunningly beautiful or absolutely filthy sounds from. Highly recommended.

Edit: and the sequencer is very good :)

I see I have a 4 year old response to this thread and I'm finding it hilarious.
foosnark wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:21 pm I don't use FM as much as sampling or subtractive...
Since getting into modular, my use of subtractive synthesis fell way off and sampling has almost disappeared from use. FM is one of my most common synthesis techniques -- though inspired more by "West Coast" synthesis than Yamaha-style.

I'm circling around a bit. I have an Akemie's Castle module, which is a big 4-op FM synth with vintage Yamaha OPL3 chips, only with knobs and CV. It's dirty and full of glitches and weirdness and I love it. But I also quite like 2-op FM synthesis with analog control paths, slightly off-tuned ratios etc. and sometimes exponential FM.

I'm planning to make my next album kind of a combined study of Akemie's Castle and subtractive synthesis... the former to dive deep and really get to know it, the latter to reacquaint myself. I know there's more to it than supersaws and boring same-old filter sweeps, and in particular, drive/saturation and filtering can interact with each other in some nice ways.

But anyway, yes, FM synthesis is my go-to in general. I also am big into resonators and feedback patching though.

simmo75 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:44 am
pdxindy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:18 am I would like to get a Digitone...

I love my Digitone, it’s so easy to make stunningly beautiful or absolutely filthy sounds from. Highly recommended.

Edit: and the sequencer is very good :)
I consistently love the sound of Digitone demos... that is always a good sign

Return to “Instruments”