HISE, an open source competitor to Kontakt

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HISE - Hart Instruments Sampler Engine

Sounds good but how do I export a plugin with Hise? Is it possible yet?

A feature on HISE in latest Computer Music, some how I think they got to know about it from KVR forum ;)

I am having the same problem here as with tal sampler , and Since hise is also using the juce framework ..I am pretty sure the problem is juce related .

The problem is whenever the plugin is focused ( tweaked ) , and playing keys on my computer keyboard ( renoise ) , some other notes are triggered , mostly an octave higher ..sometimes 23 semitones (arrghhh the horror ) .
Exactly the same problem as with TAL sampler ( latest version )
Host renoise 64 bit
Win 8 64 bit
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Numanoid wrote:A feature on HISE in latest Computer Music, some how I think they got to know about it from KVR forum ;)
Cool. I buy CM only when some interesting plugin is given away for free. I might just buy this one just because i'm interested in HISE. Have they given anything related to the working of it or just the news?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

Greetings,

I've been building and using HISE recently on Linux.

Export works now only with Windows and OSX. If I understand the framework correctly, you should be able to design a plugin in HISE and export it to VST/AU (instrument or fx), standalone application (iOS/Android app), or a HISE library file.

The sampler is pretty neat, though certainly not as full-featured as Bliss or Redux. WAV and SFZ import are supported (and probably a bunch of other soundfile formats), and of course you can add various modifiers to your design, e.g. EGs and FX. HISE does include other audio components (wavetable synth, sinewave generator) but it seems that the sampler is currently the centerpiece in the design.

I've tested the standalone and the plugin version (VST) in Bitwig 1.3.15. The plugin is apparently there for testing purposes only, but it is usable as-is. (Just don't click on Quit in the plugin's File menu while you're still in your DAW. Ouch.)

Anyway, cool stuff. I assume Christoph's providing binaries for Win/Mac users. However, HISE is JUCE-based, and Christoph has supplied Makefiles for Windows, OSX, and Linux. It's not difficult to build, and I'm willing to help any Linux users who might want to give it a whirl. For my purposes, the real test will be its effectiveness at exporting native Linux VST/VSTi plugins, so I'm eager to get a working export script.

Btw, the framework bears some similarity to Rory Walsh's excellent Cabbage :

http://cabbageaudio.com/

Cabbage is a fully developed environment that depends on the Csound API. However, its plugins require Csound on your system. Not a problem here, but it might be a difficulty for other users. I expect the HISE plugins to have no such dependency, making them easier to distribute.

Best,

dp

Paree wrote:
Numanoid wrote:A feature on HISE in latest Computer Music, some how I think they got to know about it from KVR forum ;)
Cool. I buy CM only when some interesting plugin is given away for free. I might just buy this one just because i'm interested in HISE. Have they given anything related to the working of it or just the news?
You don't have to buy CM to get HISE. HISE is free to download from the dev site.

I just posted, because I think it is cool that CM devote half a page to freeware like HISE. Buying that space for an ad, would probably cost a couple of thousand pounds.

It is a news article. And it doesn't really give much info. If you want to inform yourself about HISE, i'd rather visit the developers website, there's much more info available there.

http://hise.audio/

Numanoid wrote:
Paree wrote:
You don't have to buy CM to get HISE. HISE is free to download from the dev site.

I just posted, because I think it is cool that CM devote half a page to freeware like HISE. Buying that space for an ad, would probably cost a couple of thousand pounds.
I mean, have they given a tutorial of some sort like they do the sound design/ track making tutorials?
Or is it just a news article?

Edit: Got it.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

Can't find any library... :?:

Numanoid wrote:
Paree wrote:

HISE isn't freeware if they were talking about developing, There will be a free player, but to create plugins you will need to buy not only a HISE licence (Nobody knows the price yet) and a JUCE licence (About £1000)
So it couldn't be much further from being freeware !!
Duh

bungle wrote:HISE isn't freeware if they were talking about developing, There will be a free player, but to create plugins you will need to buy not only a HISE licence (Nobody knows the price yet) and a JUCE licence (About £1000)
So it couldn't be much further from being freeware !!
It's free (along with JUCE) as long as you distribute creations with the same licence:

"HISE is licenced under the GPL v3, but there will be a commercial licence for closed source usage. Every instrument you'll build will inheritate this licence so in order to release a closed source product you'll have to obtain a HISE commercial licence as well as a JUCE commercial licence."

If you want to release a precompiled library (VSTi or AU), you'll need to purchase a JUCE license.
I am currently thinking about these licence conditions:
500€ - 700€ per desktop plugin / app (with a low-cost option for low retail prices)
So to make a 30€ VSTi of some samples I would have to pay 999$ (Juce) + 500€ (Hise) first?
That's ridiculous.....    :eek:

ImageImage

Has anyone actually built any instruments with HISE yet?

WOK wrote:
If you want to release a precompiled library (VSTi or AU), you'll need to purchase a JUCE license.
I am currently thinking about these licence conditions:
500€ - 700€ per desktop plugin / app (with a low-cost option for low retail prices)
So to make a 30€ VSTi of some samples I would have to pay 999$ (Juce) + 500€ (Hise) first?
That's ridiculous.....    :eek:

I wouldn't say it's ridiculous, or do you count on selling only one copy? 50 copies and you have reach the break-even point (not counting the actual work/time). It's like saying to be able to use a €30 plugin, I first must pay €600 (computer) + €200 (DAW).
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote:I wouldn't say it's ridiculous, or do you count on selling only one copy? 50 copies and you have reach the break-even point (not counting the actual work/time). It's like saying to be able to use a €30 plugin, I first must pay €600 (computer) + €200 (DAW).
This is a strange comparison. Then you could also count the apartment I am living in, the food, my internet connection, as part of the development costs....

As a small developer, selling 50 copies is sometimes not easy already. Juce is overpriced, and a "per plugin fee" for HISE is more than strange.

ImageImage

Return to “Instruments”