XILS-LAB announced PolyKB III

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
10262 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Post Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:35 am

electro wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:I'd like to see Xils do a decent modular step sequencer plugin
B-Step
Thesys
Cream
Bluearp (free)

these are lacking what?
Some are more/less simple/less simple arpegiattors.

None of them can do what Oxium sequencer do for example : Custom lenght of steps (ie fully custom, not only multiple/divisis of the base step, but in Oxium it's snapped to grid, or totally free length).Steps can trigger enveloppes, LFOs, but they also have their own enveloppes. And a special mode gives you exact notes, if you want to turn it into as a note sequencer VS an event sequencer. You can of course control any synthesis parameters with the Masks sequencers.

So, it's not fully modular, but it gives musicians a certain level of interaction, that can become very complex, or to make simple tasks like trancegated lines or groove sequences.

So Oxium can perform certain tasks, like adapting to any human groove (ie not simple 'swintg') , in a quite simple way, that very few 'events' ( note, control synth parameters, trigg modules) sequencers can do.

otoh, these arpeggiators can all do some things that Oxium can't do. Diversity and unique features are probably the key points here.

I'll probably speak more about the PKB III capabilities later.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

KVRAF

Post Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:53 am

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Eg
Control of numbers of steps played, step length, velocity, speed, timing, direction skips via modulators.

You can get really crazy sequences that don't repeat, can be tweaked and modulated real-time including 'swing' or timing depending what modulators you've got wired in.

Just sending an LFO through a pitch quantiser gives you an instant arp.

Of course it more fun when the 'sequencer' is able to control any synth parameter.
Good points. You can vary the number of steps live in the PKB III sequencer. As well as some other parameters like timing -synced or not- . Not directions etc though.

As for making ever evolving, not repeating themselves, patterns, there are various ways in various synths to achieve that, not counting use of externall arp tools. In the PolyKB III, I'd nevertheless suggest that you combine the Polyphonic Sequencer and/or arpegiattor, the 'new supersized modulator', AND the 'per voice' Voice XY modulator, where you can make each new note played, or triggered, sound from subtly to drastically different. Combining all the above you won't cover everything that could be made using other techniques in other synths, but you'll certainly come up -almost- effortless with unique and everchanging synth parts.

Anyay, I think the idea of a modularstep sequencer is good, but it would probably need a modular environment( Reaktor, Mulab etc) to be developped, and exist as an independant tool (no synthesis inside)
There are already a certain number of tools proposing some solutions to this on the market. The idea of proposing another one that would be the nec + ultra is always tempting. Then, a huge gaz factory, that would satisfy mainly (or only) hardcore wizards is also probably the thing to avoid. Like in synths, combining huge power and ease of use, is always a challenge, because, intimately, these two things have natural tendancies to fight roughly against each other. ( but when you achieve one of these tools, yes, it's a strike)That's why I think that maybe more 'limited' tools, but doing wvery well what they focus on, and in a musical way, have also some interest. Wich, I think/hope, will be the case of the PKB III.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

KVRAF
32367 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:55 am

If PKB3 has a sequencer like in Oxium it will be cool - don't particularly like the existing step sequencer, it's too fiddly (same in XILS 3/4) - the 'Masque' one is easier to use and more expressive.

KVRAF

Post Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:58 am

aMUSEd wrote:If PKB3 has a sequencer like in Oxium it will be cool - don't particularly like the existing step sequencer, it's too fiddly (same in XILS 3/4) - the 'Masque' one is easier to use and more expressive.
I can somewhat understand this. My analysis was that its possible uses in real situations where a musician could be involved were restricted by the lack of implementation of a few well tought controls (wich wasn't an obvious task to decipher and decide, due to the legacy aspects), And that it was a pity due to the big amount of work already put in it. But it was definitely possible to bring it to a whole new level.

You'll find that there are some changes in the PolyKB III sequencer.

But it won't be like Oxium. Oxium Masks sequencers can do things that the PKB III sequencer, nor any other synth sequencer, can't do, but the opposite will be equally true.

For example, you will be able to use it as a Chord Memory sequencer, with the -repaired- Step Play mode, or, still, as a on-the-fly-Phrase launcher. But it will also have some other play modes, and start/play control methods. And new possibilities.

KVRAF

Post Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:34 am

PolyKB III is about to be released :) (Probably tomorrow) :pray:

KVRist
65 posts since 8 Jun, 2013

Post Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:42 pm

I'll be standing in line to get my copy! :-D

Terry

KVRAF
2588 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Charleston, SC

Post Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:13 pm

Yes me too. I recently rediscovered PolyKB 2 and have enjoyed it immensely.

KVRAF
3607 posts since 10 Sep, 2010 from A shit hole (Ireland).

Post Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:17 pm

Love V2.

Can't wait until tomorrow... 47mins!
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens

KVRist
165 posts since 8 Apr, 2004

Post Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:13 am

Looking forward to this! I hope it comes out today. The irony of getting music-related things so close to Christmas is you don't have time to use them until AFTER Christmas, LOL.

KVRAF

Post Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:50 am

Thanks to all for your support and interest.

The story continues there

Return to “Instruments”