Lush-101

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
9979 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:10 am

mholloway wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:From the manual:

"Note: It should be remembered that in the case of selecting Velocity or Pitch as a Source in the Modulation Matrix, there will be no access to all parameters in the Destination column, because both, Velocity and Pitch, are source controllers working per voice, and some of the parameters affect all Layer voices (e.g.Insert effects parameters). To those kind of parameters Velocity and Pitch sources cannot be assigned."

Ah crap, ok you got me there. I frequently assign Modwheel ('modulation') to FX parameters and incorrectly assumed the same would work for Velocity. Too bad.

I was totally wrong on that, thanks for the correction.
This is what I am having to do also but it's just so infuriating other sources are not there and yet they have the audacity to say it's all I'll ever need. Every other synth I've ever used (AFAIK) allows envelopes and LFO's as mod sources.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
9979 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Re: Lush-101

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:12 am

Oh and BTW if you're asking yourself why I'm persisting it's because it sounds fantastic, albeit incredibly inflexible. It's like having all the ingredients for a cake but no baking dish. So so close yet so far.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

anomandaris1
KVRist
257 posts since 26 Nov, 2009

Re: Lush-101

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:18 am

Mushy Mushy wrote: This is what I am having to do also but it's just so infuriating other sources are not there and yet they have the audacity to say it's all I'll ever need. Every other synth I've ever used (AFAIK) allows envelopes and LFO's as mod sources.
Many daws have built-in modulators like envelopes, lfo etc that will do the job you need, as long as the synth parameters can be automated.

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
9979 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Re: Lush-101

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:20 am

anomandaris1 wrote:Many daws have built-in modulators like envelopes, lfo etc that will do the job you need, as long as the synth parameters can be automated.
Yes, good thinking. I'll certainly investigate this :tu:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

mholloway
KVRian
956 posts since 11 Jan, 2009 from Portland, OR, USA

Re: Lush-101

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:28 am

Mushy Mushy wrote:Oh and BTW if you're asking yourself why I'm persisting it's because it sounds fantastic, albeit incredibly inflexible. It's like having all the ingredients for a cake but no baking dish. So so close yet so far.
Obviously you don't spend much time with analog hardware, then.

Because if LuSH is "incredibly inflexible," even with all the programming on offer, I can't imagine how you'd feel about a Minimoog or Juno (or SH-101 !!). I guess your interest in synthesizers is relegated solely to modern apps that provide a wealth of options? If so, ok, sure; but maybe don't buy emulations of analog synths, in that case? Maybe focus elsewhere, as recommended earlier, on options like Zebra?

Most of your frustration can be chocked up to the thing you bought simply not being the type of thing you seem to have wanted in the first place. That's not the products fault, that's the fault of you not buying what you actually wanted / needed.

But whatev. Good luck.
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
9979 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Re: Lush-101

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:30 am

mholloway wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:Oh and BTW if you're asking yourself why I'm persisting it's because it sounds fantastic, albeit incredibly inflexible. It's like having all the ingredients for a cake but no baking dish. So so close yet so far.
Obviously you don't spend much time with analog hardware, then.

Because if LuSH is "incredibly inflexible," even with all the programming on offer, I can't imagine how you'd feel about a Minimoog or Juno (or SH-101 !!). I guess your interest in synthesizers is relegated solely to modern apps that provide a wealth of options? If so, ok, sure; but maybe don't buy emulations of analog synths, in that case? Maybe focus elsewhere, as recommended earlier, on options like Zebra?

Most of your frustration can be chocked up to the thing you bought simply not being the type of thing you seem to have wanted in the first place. That's not the products fault, that's the fault of you not buying what you actually wanted / needed.

But whatev. Good luck.
Guess again, I have a wall and a rack of vintage analogs and have been doing this for ~25 years.

I say again, it sounds great but it could be a lot better.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
13890 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: Lush-101

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:58 am

mholloway wrote:You guys seem to have rather limited imaginations when it comes to the possibilities of a synth.... "one layer isn't very interesting" Huh? Really?

One layer of LuSH-101 offers more programming functionality than 90% of vintage analog synths that everybody lusts after and begs for accurate emulations of... but somehow it's still not enough? If one layer of LuSH-101 is too limited for you synthesis wise, then you must HATE a synth like RePro-5, which has even less options for programming (just one LFO!!, etc).
There's no need to be insulting... just because I don't find Lush 101 interesting does not make my imagination limited. If it works for you great...

I get lots more interesting sounds from RePro... because it has gorgeous sounding audio rate modulations. I love audio rate modulations! :love: I find Lush bland in that regard.

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
13890 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: Lush-101

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:04 am

anomandaris1 wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote: This is what I am having to do also but it's just so infuriating other sources are not there and yet they have the audacity to say it's all I'll ever need. Every other synth I've ever used (AFAIK) allows envelopes and LFO's as mod sources.
Many daws have built-in modulators like envelopes, lfo etc that will do the job you need, as long as the synth parameters can be automated.
Yes, most all parameters in Lush101 can be automated. It's a bit of a hassle in Lush cause there are no default automation mappings. You have to map everything in Lush preferences. Once mapped it automates fine.

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
13890 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: Lush-101

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:07 am

Mushy Mushy wrote:From the manual:

"Note: It should be remembered that in the case of selecting Velocity or Pitch as a Source in the Modulation Matrix, there will be no access to all parameters in the Destination column, because both, Velocity and Pitch, are source controllers working per voice, and some of the parameters affect all Layer voices (e.g.Insert effects parameters). To those kind of parameters Velocity and Pitch sources cannot be assigned."
That is unfortunate choice... as it does not account for mono sounds...

dermage
KVRist
212 posts since 23 May, 2016

Re: Lush-101

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Also the marketing for lush was more towards a modern synth, not a vintage one. I found mapping a bit work intensive, probably can't be done much better because of the multiple layers. But would have been great if there was a default parameter mapping as initial setup after installing.

ScottZ
KVRist
258 posts since 19 Feb, 2011

Re: Lush-101

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:25 pm

so it seems presets using 8 layers might be rare are there any presets showing this many layers off in soundsets in clips, or videos?

ScottZ
KVRist
258 posts since 19 Feb, 2011

Re: Lush-101

Post Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:41 pm

ok demoing this I think I fell in love :love: do you think they will upgrade it to version 2 ever in future or future updates, or what you buy is what you get?
Last edited by ScottZ on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acYm
KVRian
644 posts since 11 Sep, 2015

Re: Lush-101

Post Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:49 pm

good question, no one knows, so far they have updated many effects to version 2 but none of their instruments.
it would be nice but I'm not holding my breath... I consider it to be as is at this point.
soon lush101 will be 6 years old already.

woodsdenis
KVRian
1482 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Re: Lush-101

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:41 am

On sale in JRR for 39 bucks.
Mac Pro
10.12.6 Digi 96 io
Cubase 9, Ableton Live 9.7, Bitwig 1.3

User avatar
martinjuenke
KVRAF
2211 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Germany

Re: Lush-101

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:06 am

Still wondering if I can squeeze some unconventional (not heard a hundred times) sounds out of this thing...

Music was my first love...
Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

Return to “Instruments”