Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

Subscriptions haven't been around that long but C/R copy protection has - the only company I can remember deciding to make an EoL change was Redmatica after being bought by Apple. The others? They just turned off the server.

Stefken wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:18 pm
rezoneight wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:32 pm
Gamma-UT wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:35 pm Bear in mind that even if it's two "permanent" licences obtained after a year, as the licence is cloud-dependent it only takes Roland pulling the plug on the service to render them unusable. As it's a joint venture, that probably won't happen soon but it is possible – if it were just Roland running it I'd be a lot more concerned about the future just based on Roland's pisspoor history of software support.
The other option of course is that they announce the end of the Cloud product and release final updates for the instruments so that they no longer require cloud manager.
What does history teach us?
Are there companies who have done this or do they just pull the plug.
Based on how us who owns the same products from the Roland Content store that they moved to the cloud have been treated i am not so optimistic :roll:

D-Fusion wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:30 pm
Gamma-UT wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:35 pm Bear in mind that even if it's two "permanent" licences obtained after a year, as the licence is cloud-dependent it only takes Roland pulling the plug on the service to render them unusable. As it's a joint venture, that probably won't happen soon but it is possible – if it were just Roland running it I'd be a lot more concerned about the future just based on Roland's pisspoor history of software support.
The other option of course is that they announce the end of the Cloud product and release final updates for the instruments so that they no longer require cloud manager.
Based on how us who owns the same products from the Roland Content store that they moved to the cloud have been treated i am not so optimistic :roll:
Which is...? They still work. They just haven't been updated. You paid for the software and got the software without any promises after that. This is a perfect example of what I mean when I say that buying software outright isn't some end-all.

On the other hand I bought a System-8 and have been treated very well with updates to that instrument that I don't think anyone was expecting (both the S8 instrument itself and the free JX-3P plugout).

rezoneight wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:35 pm
Which is...? They still work. They just haven't been updated. You paid for the software and got the software without any promises after that. This is a perfect example of what I mean when I say that buying software outright isn't some end-all.

On the other hand I bought a System-8 and have been treated very well with updates to that instrument that I don't think anyone was expecting (both the S8 instrument itself and the free JX-3P plugout).
So you find it ok to just create a new platform and add the plugins in there and give a crap about the first customers?

We still have grainy gui's and no updates at all so to keep our bought products up to date we have to rent something we bought in the first place.

Wonder what you would say if it turned around again if the people lost interest in renting them and put them back into the content store and you had to buy them again.

I agree that the System 8 hw is great and was surprised by the excellent update and the free jx3p plugout which makes the System 8 complete as a retro + modern polysynth.

It was not the same experience with the System 1 because i had to buy the plugouts to use them as plugouts in the system 1 and now the plugouts i bought are stuck in the past when using them as vst while they get updated in the cloud versions.

Personally, i don't take free updates for granted.
I appreciate them but if you buy hw, the hw does not magically change overnight. It's not that you wake up one morning and you have an extra lfo on your synth.

But they keep working and so should software off course.

D-Fusion wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:55 pm
rezoneight wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:35 pm

So you find it ok to just create a new platform and add the plugins in there and give a crap about the first customers?

We still have grainy gui's and no updates at all so to keep our bought products up to date we have to rent something we bought in the first place.

Wonder what you would say if it turned around again if the people lost interest in renting them and put them back into the content store and you had to buy them again.

I agree that the System 8 hw is great and was surprised by the excellent update and the free jx3p plugout which makes the System 8 complete as a retro + modern polysynth.

It was not the same experience with the System 1 because i had to buy the plugouts to use them as plugouts in the system 1 and now the plugouts i bought are stuck in the past when using them as vst while they get updated in the cloud versions.
To your first question yes I find it OK. I buy non-subscription software with the expectation that I get what I get and anything after that is gravy unless the developer lays out an update policy that spells out what I should expect. Why should I expect free hand-outs? If the company is nice enough then that's fantastic but I never expect anything of the sort. That means I'm not upset when I don't get those freebies and surprised and happy when I do get them.

And based on how often they're adding things to the cloud offering I'd say there is a ton of interest and your other scenario isn't likely anyhow. But more than likely I'd either end up buying the ones I used a lot in the content store or none at all.

I don't own a System 1 but on the System 8 the cloud versions of the plugouts that were available in the content store still work as plugouts now. Is that not the case with the System 1?

I've got the 303 VST2 working in Bitwig since the update to 2.5, however it still doesn't show in Maschine or Komplete. Not sure why. Anybody else able to load it in Komplete (windows 10)?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:04 pm I've got the 303 VST2 working in Bitwig since the update to 2.5, however it still doesn't show in Maschine or Komplete. Not sure why. Anybody else able to load it in Komplete (windows 10)?
Maschine/Komplete can only load vst 2 plugins which you can find in Programfiles/vstplugins in the C: folder.

so if you point the NI Maschine to that folder you should be good to go :tu:

D-Fusion wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:16 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:04 pm I've got the 303 VST2 working in Bitwig since the update to 2.5, however it still doesn't show in Maschine or Komplete. Not sure why. Anybody else able to load it in Komplete (windows 10)?
Maschine/Komplete can only load vst 2 plugins which you can find in Programfiles/vstplugins in the C: folder.

That's where it is already. Maschine and Komplete can see all of my Roland Cloud plugins except for the 303.

D-Fusion wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:16 pm Maschine/Komplete can only load vst 2 plugins which you can find in Programfiles/vstplugins in the C: folder.

This is pure nonsense. All my VST2 plugins are on an external SSD and they all load fine in Maschine and Komplete Kontrol.

Reefius wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:01 pm
D-Fusion wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:16 pm Maschine/Komplete can only load vst 2 plugins which you can find in Programfiles/vstplugins in the C: folder.

This is pure nonsense. All my VST2 plugins are on an external SSD and they all load fine in Maschine and Komplete Kontrol.
That's true as well. You can specify plugin location paths.

Having great fun with the TB-303. :wink:

I do have crashes from time to time when switching from one project and opening another that uses the TB-303. :( (Ableton 10, 64 bit, Windows 7, VST2). It's not consistent; sometimes it crashes ; sometimes it doesn't.

deleted post

Reefius wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:01 pm

Well. it was not you i was trying to help.
By default the Roland vst2 plugins go to that folder so it is not nonsense at all ;)

New video from Roland about developing the Cloud 303 plugin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txcIFAZGbz4

Return to “Instruments”