Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

Thanks. Think I'll do that soon.

Still hope that they do the JP-8000 one day though...

so tempted with this now
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:09 am so tempted with this now
Right? For the first time since Roland Cloud appeared, it’s actually worth it IMHO. Took them long enough! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

What's changed in the value of the subscription from a year ago? If anything it seems to be much worse value now since you don't get the permanent license rewards anymore.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:08 pm Do you need to leave some Roland Cloud software running on your machine so it can check in every 7 days to check for authorization? I think so.
It's not checked every 7 days anymore. It's more like 30 days now. But yea, you will need to periodically login to revalidate the license.
Fernando (FMR)

I had an XV5080 back in the day, so I am somewhat tempted buy the software version... However, I heard the Zenology includes the exact same sounds minus the reverb? Is that true - and if so, does this require the Wave Expansions (and which ones)?

Sorry if I sound clueless, but I do not really understand the various Roland synths, and how they incorporate previous versions. (For example, why buy a soft JV1080 if you can have the XV5080, which does include the JV1080 sounds, if I am not totally mistaken?! And why buy the 5080, if Zenology includes the 5080? So Zenology > XV5080 > JV1080 - or am I missing something here?!)

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:25 pm What's changed in the value of the subscription from a year ago? If anything it seems to be much worse value now since you don't get the permanent license rewards anymore.
Well, for me - I already had a sub before the changes and will be getting 2 more lifetime keys. But the fact that there’s several tiers now and a clear path to purchase lifetime keys from the start is a massive improvement. That didn’t exist a year ago.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

tq wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:47 pm Sorry if I sound clueless, but I do not really understand the various Roland synths, and how they incorporate previous versions. (For example, why buy a soft JV1080 if you can have the XV5080, which does include the JV1080 sounds, if I am not totally mistaken?! And why buy the 5080, if Zenology includes the 5080? So Zenology > XV5080 > JV1080 - or am I missing something here?!)
That's what I was thinking. They are the same price too, so why buy the JV-1080 when you can get the XV-5080 for the same price?

About the full version of Zenology; AFAIK it is included only with a paid Pro or Ultimate subscription. At least you can buy the XV-5080 and not pay monthly.

After googling and reading on the differences between the JV & XV hardware, the one thing I'm finding are the filters? Supposedly the JV had more bottom end. Maybe the software emulates this as well?
I'm also trying to find the sample and presets lists in the software to compare with both and the SRX series. But haven't been able to find them yet.
I'm definitely one of those that have no interest in anything that's a subscription.
But to have lifetime keys on everything would have to be presented as a no-brainer bundle sale.
(I also don't trust the word "lifetime" when it comes from the mouth of Roland.)

BBFG# wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:04 pmMaybe the software emulates this as well?
No. They're all using the same engine, with the difference being the skin and bundled presets, and additional samples in the SRX expansions. There's no special converter emulation etc, so the 1080 plugin will actually sound more like the 5080 and Fantoms of the period, rather than the original 1080 hardware. There's not really much reason why you'd go for the 1080 plugin with the 5080 available.

However, along with the free "lite" version of Zenology, Roland do a $3 per month version of Zenology which gives you all of the base 5080 sounds, minus the reverb and one or two other features (they've been mentioned previously, I think in this thread, but don't impact many sounds - whereas the missing reverb is more than a bit strange.. ) Along with that you can buy all SRX expansions at a reduced price for Zenology.

Zenology Pro gives a more full featured editor and access to future synth engines (JP8, JX8P etc) within the Zenology Pro plugin, where you're limited to the 5080 content with the $3 per month version. Plus it throws in the 808 and D50 plugins. Ultimate is the same, but it includes all of the standalone plugins.

It seems that, even if you choose the $3 option, it will give you the full Ultimate version for your first month.. though Zenology Pro won't be available until later in the year.

So it's quite smart by Roland. They're effectively giving you the 5080's sounds for $3 per month. Which is a low enough amount that people, who don't otherwise like subs, might be tempted :)

As I said, subscriptions are the stupid way to go (IMO). Especially with Roland's history of abandonment.

Thanks to PAK for the explanation - that's super helpful. So the price of the to-buy plug in would give me 50 months of sub - 4 years. Hm, that's certainly tempting, especially considering Zenology having more features (minus the reverb... what the f...?!). The only issue is that I hate subs, and I am more into hoarding...

Zenology Pro (the one I would be interested in besides D-50, XV-5080 and maybe the Jupiter-8) and the model expansions are only with Pro and Ultimate subscriptions and you can't get that separately like many others (D-50, XV-5080, etc.).

Examigan wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:35 pm Zenology Pro (the one I would be interested in besides D-50, XV-5080 and maybe the Jupiter-8) and the model expansions are only with Pro and Ultimate subscriptions and you can't get that separately like many others (D-50, XV-5080, etc.).
You can't get it all yet tbf as it's not ready so maybe they will advertise (a probably very high) lifetime license price when they do actually release it. No-one knows yet.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:25 pm What's changed in the value of the subscription from a year ago? If anything it seems to be much worse value now since you don't get the permanent license rewards anymore.
The Roland support wrote me back early this morning (not sure which time zone they are in?). I had asked if they still offer the free plugin after 1 year of membership...and they said "Yes, the loyalty program is still in effect if you purchase an Ultimate level membership."

Return to “Instruments”