FM8 in year 2017?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
exmatproton
KVRAF
2158 posts since 25 Apr, 2011

Post Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:58 am

robotmonkey wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:Must agree with Lotuzia.

I don't give a damn if NI won't update FM8 anytime soon. It's a great synth as it is and really does not need anything else. It has a filter and it's ok. FM8 sounds great with it or without. If you wan't a different filter badly then just drop any of the good external ones on the fx chain.
It is a completely different thing to have a single filter following a polyphonic stage than it is to have one per voice. You should familiarize yourself with the difference before making recommendations to others.

Basically, a paraphonic chain, which is what you are describing, cannot modulate the filter per voice. This can actually be interesting on its own, my first synth was a Seil DK80 which was paraphonic and I rather liked some of the effects that you get with paraphonic synths. However, it is generally not what people are after.

Perhaps you wouldn't notice the difference in filter quality, however, you probably shouldn't speak for others before you get a bit more experience with filters.
Lol I know perfectly well the limitations of using an external filter. Just see no point in crying about it like a little girl. Don't be such a smug ass and think everyone needs educating by you.
And for you there really is no reason to get rude.

ghettosynth
KVRAF
11433 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Re: FM8 in year 2017?

Post Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 am

robotmonkey wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:Must agree with Lotuzia.

I don't give a damn if NI won't update FM8 anytime soon. It's a great synth as it is and really does not need anything else. It has a filter and it's ok. FM8 sounds great with it or without. If you wan't a different filter badly then just drop any of the good external ones on the fx chain.
It is a completely different thing to have a single filter following a polyphonic stage than it is to have one per voice. You should familiarize yourself with the difference before making recommendations to others.

Basically, a paraphonic chain, which is what you are describing, cannot modulate the filter per voice. This can actually be interesting on its own, my first synth was a Seil DK80 which was paraphonic and I rather liked some of the effects that you get with paraphonic synths. However, it is generally not what people are after.

Perhaps you wouldn't notice the difference in filter quality, however, you probably shouldn't speak for others before you get a bit more experience with filters.
Lol I know perfectly well the limitations of using an external filter.
Uh huh.
Don't be such a smug ass and think everyone needs educating by you.
I don't think that "everyone" needs educating by me, not at all.

BBFG#
KVRAF
5454 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:12 pm

At this point, if they don't plan on a major upgrade for it then they should include it in Select as they do Massive (Absynth too).
As much as like it, it's not my first to go for FM.
Makes more sense to me to make "Select" be their legacy software.

ghettosynth
KVRAF

Post Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:15 pm

BBFG# wrote:At this point, if they don't plan on a major upgrade for it then they should include it in Select as they do Massive (Absynth too).
Yeah, I feel Absynth needs an update even more than FM8 does. I have less hope for it though.

dune_rave
KVRian
1226 posts since 23 Jun, 2006 from Hungary

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:07 pm

Hi!
I have an FM8 question - maybe someone can answer.

I choose new sound in the file menu --> I hear operator F only.
Go to expert page, turn down operator F volume, so the matrix is empty, hear nothing.
Turn on any other (say C ) operator with the same settings as F, but hear nothing.
Why ?

I saw this in latest reaper and fl studio,
I'm on win10 64bit
using the 32bit version of FM8
(because the arp of 64bit version is buggy)

dune_rave
KVRian

Post Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:21 pm

A-Ha. Ok - next question:
With an other operator (say C )
I will hear the sound,
if I move the morph square from the bottom left position.
Why is this?

ghettosynth
KVRAF

Post Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:10 am

dune_rave wrote:A-Ha. Ok - next question:
I will hear the sound,
Why is this?

Because by default the four sounds of the morph matrix are set to whatever sound you load if you don't explicitly load the morph matrix. I hate to be that guy, but this is really basic and well described in the manual. This has nothing to do with FM synthesis really, it's just a feature of FM8.

Uncle E
KVRAF
10584 posts since 22 Nov, 2000 from Southern California

Post Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:53 am

ghettosynth wrote:I don't think that "everyone" needs educating by me, not at all.
:hihi:

Acid Mitch
KVRAF
1896 posts since 5 Oct, 2005

Post Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:02 am

If yous want to use an external filter and not have it sound paraphonic you can record/ bounce each voice in a chord to separate tracks or use multiple instances of fm8 playing monophonic lines and apply your filter to each part separately.

dune_rave
KVRian

Post Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:53 am

Thanks for answering!
I'm not a beginner fm8 user, but I don't create my own sounds in it (have a great fm sound collection) so that's why I question weird things like that.

Anyway, I keep saying that this is not logical,
I mean I use an operator, than an other with the same settings, but this time no sound are produced.
ghettosynth wrote:
dune_rave wrote:A-Ha. Ok - next question:
I will hear the sound,
Why is this?

Because by default the four sounds of the morph matrix are set to whatever sound you load if you don't explicitly load the morph matrix. I hate to be that guy, but this is really basic and well described in the manual. This has nothing to do with FM synthesis really, it's just a feature of FM8.

ghettosynth
KVRAF

Post Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:32 am

dune_rave wrote: Anyway, I keep saying that this is not logical,
I mean I use an operator, than an other with the same settings, but this time no sound are produced.
It's perfectly logical. Seriously, just read that part of the manual so that you understand what it does.

Chris-S
KVRAF
2624 posts since 10 Nov, 2013 from Germany

Post Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:12 am

Hi,
make sure, C is turned on and routed to the Output.

pdxindy
KVRAF
14940 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:36 am

ghettosynth wrote:
This is why I want NI to update FM8 with a serious overhaul. I'm spoiled by Bazille's filters and the filters in Reaktor.
I uninstalled FM8 once I had Bazille. Bazille opened the world I was once looking for with FM but did not find in the usual FM synths.

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:41 am

ghettosynth wrote:
BBFG# wrote:At this point, if they don't plan on a major upgrade for it then they should include it in Select as they do Massive (Absynth too).
Yeah, I feel Absynth needs an update even more than FM8 does. I have less hope for it though.
Seems unlikely for either. It is easier to keep building off the Reaktor platform than to keep developing independent synths which are likely an entirely different framework these days. u-he synths are all within a single framework which makes it possible... and which they spent a lot of time getting in place. Absynth and FM8 are the black sheep of the family... hehehe

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:42 am

Acid Mitch wrote:If yous want to use an external filter and not have it sound paraphonic you can record/ bounce each voice in a chord to separate tracks or use multiple instances of fm8 playing monophonic lines and apply your filter to each part separately.
or just use a synth with good filters...

Return to “Instruments”