FM8 in year 2017?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FM8

pdxindy wrote:
Acid Mitch wrote:If yous want to use an external filter and not have it sound paraphonic you can record/ bounce each voice in a chord to separate tracks or use multiple instances of fm8 playing monophonic lines and apply your filter to each part separately.
or just use a synth with good filters...
This. Now even Ableton Operator has good filters :borg:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Acid Mitch wrote:If yous want to use an external filter and not have it sound paraphonic you can record/ bounce each voice in a chord to separate tracks or use multiple instances of fm8 playing monophonic lines and apply your filter to each part separately.
And now we're back to square one. Yes, I like using synths with good filters, but, neither Bazille nor Operator are complete replacements for FM8. Operator, in particular, is locked to Live. In any case, that's my solution as well, I just turn to Reaktor. Still there isn't a good choice in Reaktor that has a great interface. I'm fine with FM9 being a Reaktor instrument, in fact, I even prefer that, I just want NI to do the work.

Fall 2017: FM9 and Absynth 6 are now both Reaktor instruments and are included with Komplete 12 along with Kontakt 6 and Reaktor 6.5 which includes significantly enhanced U/I development tools.

If that's what we see, NI can just automatically charge my credit card for the upgrade, I won't even care.

pdxindy wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
This is why I want NI to update FM8 with a serious overhaul. I'm spoiled by Bazille's filters and the filters in Reaktor.
I uninstalled FM8 once I had Bazille. Bazille opened the world I was once looking for with FM but did not find in the usual FM synths.
I can understand it must have been a revelation to work with only 4 operators instead of 8 with total FM multi routing matrix freedom, and a few regular envelopes instead of the 8 multipoint/multisegments syncable envelopes (custom curves as well btw) that the FM8 offers, among many other things. Otoh comparing apples to oranges often lead into this kind of dead ends ...
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

ghettosynth wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
And now we're back to square one. Yes, I like using synths with good filters, but, neither Bazille nor Operator are complete replacements for FM8. Operator, in particular, is locked to Live. In any case, that's my solution as well, I just turn to Reaktor. Still there isn't a good choice in Reaktor that has a great interface. I'm fine with FM9 being a Reaktor instrument, in fact, I even prefer that, I just want NI to do the work.

Fall 2017: FM9 and Absynth 6 are now both Reaktor instruments and are included with Komplete 12 along with Kontakt 6 and Reaktor 6.5 which includes significantly enhanced U/I development tools.

If that's what we see, NI can just automatically charge my credit card for the upgrade, I won't even care.
:lol:

Lotuzia wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
This is why I want NI to update FM8 with a serious overhaul. I'm spoiled by Bazille's filters and the filters in Reaktor.
I uninstalled FM8 once I had Bazille. Bazille opened the world I was once looking for with FM but did not find in the usual FM synths.
I can understand it must have been a revelation to work with only 4 operators instead of 8 with total FM multi routing matrix freedom, and a few regular envelopes instead of the 8 multipoint/multisegments syncable envelopes (custom curves as well btw) that the FM8 offers, among many other things. Otoh comparing apples to oranges often lead into this kind of dead ends ...
Hey, if you feel like you're in a dead end... please don't project it on others. That whole process was just the opposite for me.

And I learned a lot... yes, I do prefer 4 more flexible operators (1 Bazille Osc is a synth unto itself and way more than an operator) to 8 regular ones. I prefer flexible synthesis options rather than straight DX style FM. I prefer using the extra cpu for a higher sound quality. I prefer tools that get me to the results I am happy with... and do so in a more fluid, creative way (for me).

I don't miss FM8 in the slightest and nobody should feel obliged to get a DX style FM synth just because they feel like they are missing out. One does not need everything and each person can discover what things actually satisfy their particular creative itches.

The only thing I'd like to see added to FM8 is the ability for all
parameters to respond to release velocity.

I think you guys might be looking for cableguys curve. one of the best software filters.

Dasheesh wrote:I think you guys might be looking for cableguys curve. one of the best software filters.
I can't speak for others, I'm not looking for any external filters really. I'm quite happy with what I get with Reaktor. It really is a huge difference to have a filter as part of the voice architecture and not just as an effect.

ghettosynth wrote:

Amen to that, I'd prefer building it all in Reaktor as well. Computers are getting fast enough to handle Reaktor despite the higher CPU and having it all in Reaktor would be so sweet, Absynths FX as well...
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

So lets talk about filter, Kontakt, Reaktor and stuff. Forget about this FM8 ...
rabbit in a hole

FM8 is still from my top favourite synths. It is still very versatile with low CPU usage. I don't feel it outdated, and actually most of my favourite marked presets are from the legacy FM7 era.

The presence of sound is important but I'm not obsessed with that! Still, I can get huge sounds from FM8 using the unison because many factory presets don't use unison or distortion. Anyway, I need those tiny sounds to sit in the background while highlighting the sounds I want (usually leads from other synths like RePro~1).

I just wish that NI makes an additional bigger resolutions. Other than that, I'm really fine with this great synth :D

Agreed on CPU efficiency. That's one of the main reasons I use FM8. People are suggesting some excellent improvements but I'm afraid the CPU usage will go a lot higher if any of them get implemented.

These sounds are all FM8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meExmNMI9Is

ghettosynth wrote: Fall 2017: FM9 and Absynth 6 are now both Reaktor instruments and are included with Komplete 12 along with Kontakt 6 and Reaktor 6.5 which includes significantly enhanced U/I development tools.

I would love to see Reaktor capable of hosting all VTSfx and VSTi's.

With Kontakt 6 and Absynth 6 I am ready right this minute to get Komplete 12.
This time I will upgrade to Ultimate. NI please take my money. :lol:

Uncle E wrote:Agreed on CPU efficiency. That's one of the main reasons I use FM8. People are suggesting some excellent improvements but I'm afraid the CPU usage will go a lot higher if any of them get implemented.

First, those sound great, nuff said. I'm just not all that concerned about efficiency. I'm way more concerned about sound quality. I don't hear the filter being pushed in any of those sounds really, they sound mostly FM to me.

ghettosynth wrote:
Uncle E wrote:Agreed on CPU efficiency. That's one of the main reasons I use FM8. People are suggesting some excellent improvements but I'm afraid the CPU usage will go a lot higher if any of them get implemented.

First, those sound great, nuff said. I'm just not all that concerned about efficiency. I'm way more concerned about sound quality. I don't hear the filter being pushed in any of those sounds really, they sound mostly FM to me.
A FM synth sounds like FM thats shocking ----
rabbit in a hole

Return to “Instruments”