One Synth Challenge #95: HY-Mono by HY-Plugins / hyakken (Carl_saved wins!!!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HY-Mono

May sound like a complete idiot for asking this, but that is par for the course most days. :party:

Is there such a "thing" VST or standalone where I could play 4 notes simultaneously on my midi keyboard and have those notes each assigned to a new midi channel based on relative pitch to each other? Or if midi channels is not the way to split them I am open to a better method.

So say I play C3 E3 G3 C4 at the same time, the "thing' would then take the C3 and assign it to midi channel 5, take the E3 and assign it to midi channel 6 based on E3 being higher in pitch than C3 , G3 to channel 7 based on being a higher pitch than E3 etc.

So then I could have 4 instances of HY-Mono each listening on unique channels and actually get a chord to sound.

Best I can come up with so far is 2 notes at a time based on having 2 HY-Mono instances play the highest or lowest note in a pair of notes.

What I would like is 4 or more notes at time, and if I only play 3 then the last instance just would be silent.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

midiPolyphony - For spreading polyphony across MIDI channels, i.e. if you play 4 notes, each one will go to a different channel. Polyphony per channel can be set from 1 to 16 notes for more flexibility. You can also use it to convert polyphonic input to monophonic output.

http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi

ere2learn wrote:midiPolyphony - For spreading polyphony across MIDI channels, i.e. if you play 4 notes, each one will go to a different channel. Polyphony per channel can be set from 1 to 16 notes for more flexibility. You can also use it to convert polyphonic input to monophonic output.

+1 great solution for most daws. Though this doesn't work in Cubase 6+ as far as i know :(

ere2learn wrote:midiPolyphony - For spreading polyphony across MIDI channels, i.e. if you play 4 notes, each one will go to a different channel. Polyphony per channel can be set from 1 to 16 notes for more flexibility. You can also use it to convert polyphonic input to monophonic output.

Works great. Thank you kindly. :tu: :)
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

In FL Studio that's easy by using Layer and then in the options assigning/restricting synths which notes to play:

if you want to do full scale properly then you need minimum 6 synths by assigning 2 notes per synth, if you assign more notes then you won't be able to play even minor chord.
Or you can just throw in 12 or 24 of them straight away.

Then you can play chords in Layer's piano normally.
I'm not sure how things are done in *cough* inferior *cough* DAW's :D

This is really old, because Layer exists for 10 years in FLS and people used the same technique when working with sound libraries and controlling the whole string section from one piano roll by restricting violins to C5-whatever, then violas to C4-B4, cellos to C3-B3, basses to C2-B2 and then placing notes in Layer's piano roll, instead of jumping in and out to different piano rolls....

It's also good to do stuff a la Korg M1, by inserting 3-4 synths with different sounds, then assigning different root notes (blue keys on the picture I posted) and to different scales, so that in piano roll you place notes on C6 while instrument plays in C5, which means that you can make 3 synths to play in one piano roll which are assigned to different scales but can play at the same pitch, i.e. synth-1 assigned to C6-C7 with root note C5 will play in C5 even though in piano roll you are placing notes for it between C6-C7....

Other option is not to use Layer, but to turn on "Ghost channels", so that you can see notes in other piano rolls and that way to build chords by switching through piano rolls.

brainzistor wrote:In FL Studio that's easy by using Layer and then in the options assigning/restricting synths which notes to play:

Other option is not to use Layer, but to turn on "Ghost channels", so that you can see notes in other piano rolls and that way to build chords by switching through piano rolls.
uhhh fun :) I might have to do that. Works in 12 right?

bjporter wrote: uhhh fun :) I might have to do that. Works in 12 right?
Yes, I posted it from FLS 12.

brainzistor wrote:In FL Studio that's easy by using Layer and then in the options assigning/restricting synths which notes to play:
[...]
I'm not sure how things are done in *cough* inferior *cough* DAW's :D
"inferior" DAWs like Live (that's what I use) have other ways of accomplishing this.
In my work-in-progress track I perform four voice block chord pads using PolyMind for Max4Live in a rack containing four instances of HY-Mono with almost identical settings. PolyMind assigns the voices in a round-robin fashion, so should also be usable for arpeggios with overlapping notes instead of plain block chords. Will try this tomorrow.

Cruba wrote:Maybe another buggish like thing:

I try to design the bassdrum, but can't force the sound to be constant. There is pops and crackles. Hard to find correct words, cos' I'm german: You don't have the exactly same sound on every note. In Synth1 you could fix that problem with the "phase" knob, but I've no clue what to do in HY. Is it kinda bug or am I too dumb?
I'm also getting a lot of random clicks. Particularly when sweeping the filter. Also that blue graphics thing. I can ignore the graphics but the clicking is pretty annoying.

Hey OSCers --

A couple of questions:

BJ - what is the rule on commercial plug-ins for this month?

There has been a conversation about how to use this mono synth as if it polyphonic using mid polyphony or DAW layering capabilities. Wouldn't it be more pure to the spirit of this synth to limit the compositions to using only single voice mono tracks? (just starting the conversation, I don't necessarily agree!)

ontrackp wrote:Hey OSCers --

A couple of questions:

BJ - what is the rule on commercial plug-ins for this month?

There has been a conversation about how to use this mono synth as if it polyphonic using mid polyphony or DAW layering capabilities. Wouldn't it be more pure to the spirit of this synth to limit the compositions to using only single voice mono tracks? (just starting the conversation, I don't necessarily agree!)
No commercial plugins this month, it was a special rule for last month.

ontrackp wrote: Wouldn't it be more pure to the spirit of this synth to limit the compositions to using only single voice mono tracks? (just starting the conversation, I don't necessarily agree!)
I am not understanding the idea.

Single voice?
So even though the synth has 2 OSCs and a sub OSC we should only use one OSC per track?
I mean I consider what the OSCs are doing as part of the single combined OSC sound the mono synth produces. I can only get one sound at a time out of the synth.

With the layering(for me) it is just an easier way to play several monos at the same time, it is not making the synth suddenly polyphonic.

I don't understand.

How funny, ontrackp, I had that exact same thought, in regards to the MONO nature of the synth. We've had a few like that before and almost every DAW has some way to "cheat" and make it appear polyphonic. Then, of course, it no longer represents the true nature of the synth. And, yes, it does make the synth appear polyphonic! Chords are no problem, bell like sounds that release fade note by note, all the kind of stuff that this synth cannot really do.

I should say that I don't mind, but I had thought about it, too. I personally think it's fantastic that we are having this synth this month, after having had such fantastic synths recently! It almost became less of a challenge to make great sounds, but purely a challenge of making music and engineering the mix. This month, though, it will be very, very challenging to deal with the sound itself! :lol:

WYG_E wrote:
Cruba wrote:Maybe another buggish like thing:

I try to design the bassdrum, but can't force the sound to be constant. There is pops and crackles. Hard to find correct words, cos' I'm german: You don't have the exactly same sound on every note. In Synth1 you could fix that problem with the "phase" knob, but I've no clue what to do in HY. Is it kinda bug or am I too dumb?
I'm also getting a lot of random clicks. Particularly when sweeping the filter. Also that blue graphics thing. I can ignore the graphics but the clicking is pretty annoying.
I'm afraid ther's more clicks & pops in this synth then I need, but ok: Challenge is Challenge. ;)
Taron wrote:How funny, ontrackp, I had that exact same thought, in regards to the MONO nature of the synth. We've had a few like that before and almost every DAW has some way to "cheat" and make it appear polyphonic. Then, of course, it no longer represents the true nature of the synth. And, yes, it does make the synth appear polyphonic! Chords are no problem, bell like sounds that release fade note by note, all the kind of stuff that this synth cannot really do.

I should say that I don't mind, but I had thought about it, too. I personally think it's fantastic that we are having this synth this month, after having had such fantastic synths recently! It almost became less of a challenge to make great sounds, but purely a challenge of making music and engineering the mix. This month, though, it will be very, very challenging to deal with the sound itself! :lol:
It's just my way of thinking, using a mono synth it will be kind of cheating for me to break the core of a mono synth. The only thing I will do is work with chord = x instances + different frequency.

I hope, voting people will keep that in mind when voteing.

Return to “Instruments”