Synths with lots of tweaking / tuning on OSC before going into Filter section?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
cowby
KVRian
811 posts since 2 Feb, 2005

Post Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi,

Just wondering what synths you think have a lot of tweaking capability on OSC section ? Avenger, Helix, Blue2, Omni2, Spectral just to name a few. I found that if the synth has lots of tweaking flexibility on the OSC section is better than they have tons of FX to choose.

So OSC, FX, Modulation, Filter .. Which section(s) you want more tweaking capability to create sound ? I will pick OSC + filter.

Cowby

chk071
KVRAF
17017 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Synths with lots of tweaking / tuning on OSC before going into Filter section?

Post Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:53 pm

Zebra has loads of oscillator options and tweaks.

Ingonator
KVRAF
12010 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Re: Synths with lots of tweaking / tuning on OSC before going into Filter section?

Post Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:09 pm

Wavetable synths are very flexible concerning the Oscs, especially if they include a built-in wavetable and waveform editor (e.g. an additive partials/harmonics editor) and could load custom waveforms like in e.g. Tone2 Icarus. Besides that in Icarus you got the Osc Morph modes that could add e.g. FM, Sync, phase distortion and lots of other stuff to the wavetables. Not to forget it has more than 60 different filter modes.

Additive synth or synths with an additive waveform editor could produce almost any possible single cycle waveform. In Icarus you could import a single cycle waveform from a WAV file and tehn tweak in in teh spectral/additive waveform editor (and/or with free drawing).

Of course also synths that offer sample playback are very flexible as a sample could be based on any sound you could imagine (or on real/acoustic instruments for which sampling is used a lot).
In Avenger you could use both samples and wavetables (and you could import wavetables from WAV wavetables like done in e.g. Icarus using the resamle feature in Avanger).

With the FFT filter in Icarus (works with single waveforms or wavetables) the waveforms could be tweaked quite a lot. As opposing to an additive editor the FFT filter works in real time this works for all waveforms of a wavetable if you scan trough the table. The FFT filter is included with each osc (up to 8 Oscs could be used) and independent from the other filters.
Additionally the OScs in Avenger also offer FM, AM Sync and additionally the X-Cite and Formant features to further tweak the waveforms, wavetables and samples.

I got both Icarus and Avanger and together they are very powerful.
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
notebook: HP Omen 15.6" / Win 10 Home 64-bit / i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (internal) // audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen)
DAWs: Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 // controller: Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

acYm
KVRian
634 posts since 11 Sep, 2015

Post Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:21 pm

good old z3ta+ should be mentionned... you can get so far with just the waveshaper that the filter is quite optional - a good thing in this case...

kokotte
KVRian
698 posts since 17 Sep, 2014

Post Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:15 pm

Mpowersynth have some incredible osc transformation, plus, additive 64 partials can be modulate,phase distortion with 5 points modulation, fm, rm...: the winner for me
Wiggle, serum are flexible too

Lotuzia
KVRAF
9697 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:27 am

If you're looking into the domain of analog modelled oscillators, none will take you further than Xils-Lab PolyKB III, with dynamic morphing of analog modelled waveforms.

From the site :

"The PolyKB III captures the sound and spirit of the legendary RSF PolyKobol 2 polyphonic synthesizer, including its most revolutionnary feature : Morphing analog Oscillators.

This set it apart from all the other common analog synth recreations, because you have instant access to hundreds of different analog modelled & free running oscillators waveforms. More than in other synthesizer, including those who propose switching between oscillators models. Icing on the cake, they can be dynamically modulated by many sources
."

For digital synths, besides WT based synths, like Largo, I think FM à la Yamaha, ie a combo of 2, or more, oscillators modulating themselves and/or each other, can also be seen, depending on the algorythms, as 'one 'multi-tweaked' oscillator'. And ... it's pretty powerful. More generally speaking, oscillators intermodulations can be seen on some synthesizers, and I think they belong to that category too : Several oscillators, making one in the end.

Diversion has also plenty of interesting options for simple waveshaping too. As some Tone 2 synths etc etc. Samples, seen as oscillators, usually come with a specified set of tweaking options. etc etc.

Plenty of possibilities, for happy synthetists :)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

.jon
KVRAF
5484 posts since 9 Jul, 2002 from Helsinki

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:40 am

My favourite oscillator:

Ingonator
KVRAF

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:51 am

Lotuzia wrote:If you're looking into the domain of analog modelled oscillators, none will take you further than Xils-Lab PolyKB III, with dynamic morphing of analog modelled waveforms.
Along the analog emulations PolyKB III currently is for sure one of the most powerful and versatile ones.
While the basic parts like Oscs and filter seem to be based on emulatiing a real synth the feature set goes far beyond what was available in real hardware synths (especially the Polykobol 2 on which this is based).

The Osc section in Xils Lab Syn'x 2 is quite versatile too and in the mod matrix you could use the 2 Oscs and Noise source as a mod source for everything.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
notebook: HP Omen 15.6" / Win 10 Home 64-bit / i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (internal) // audio: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen)

Ingonator
KVRAF

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:55 am

With the combination of vector synthesis, wave sequencing and multiple layers (up to 4 x 8 = 32 Oscs in one peformance) the Osc section of teh Korg Wavestation seems to be quite powerful and versatile too.

KV331 Audio Synthmaster 2.8 has a vector synthesis module too besides others like VA, sample playback, additive and wavetable so the Osc section is quite powerful too (also includs Sync and dedcated modulation Oscs for FM).

UVI Falcon with it's modular approach has a big amount of different Osc modules including analog, analog stack, wavetable (+ additional phase distortion), sample playback, granular, organ, FM and more and you could use all of the in a single patch if you like as a default Falcon patch does not have a fixed setup for the modules.
Ingo Weidner

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12015 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:40 am

So, basically you want different synthesis types and features?
Tweaking and tuning are on a less deep level in my view. I think Sylenth1 has a lot of tweaking and tuning in the osc section, but it has few features and only one synthesis type.
But maybe I am mistaken regarding those two terms... :)

egbert101
KVRAF
2073 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:35 am

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
No rest for the wicked.

Architeuthis
KVRAF
2960 posts since 28 Jan, 2006 from Phoenix, AZ

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:15 am

.jon wrote:My favourite oscillator:

There's a free reaktor ensemble you can use with Reaktor Player called "Lumikko" where it uses the DWG + a mixer to do some interesting feedback stuff like feedback ringmod, not sure exactly what it's doing, you can find it here: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... cks-wired/

I planned on having a more flexible osc sync scheme than DWG in my upcoming product Chaosfly, but DWG + the mixer is giving me some more ideas. If you like DWG, you'll love what I'm working on as it's being designed for pitch stability regardless of settings, so it makes it much more playable and modulatable while remaining musical. DWG will go out of tune with certain settings.

Chaosfly will also feature a limited subtractive synth section and other general/modern synth features, so if you want to go crazy with just the oscillators before going into a filter, then Chaosfly is the right one to use, although not exactly what the OP had in mind, also it'll be some months before it's released.

.jon
KVRAF
5484 posts since 9 Jul, 2002 from Helsinki

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Your project sounds very interesting!

Lumikko feeds back it's own output after a mixer and a low pass gate into it's FM inputs, which can sounds really nice. DWG isn't itself that exotic, but I find it almost impossible to make it sound bad- I don't always need chromatically correct sounds.

padillac
KVRian
569 posts since 27 Nov, 2011

Post Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Falcon - you can set up as many oscillators as you want before hitting a filter.

Zebra has super tweakable oscillators.

nichttuntun
KVRist
477 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:04 am

Ingonator wrote:Wavetable synths are very flexible concerning the Oscs, especially if they include a built-in wavetable and waveform editor (e.g. an additive partials/harmonics editor) and could load custom waveforms like in e.g. Tone2 Icarus. Besides that in Icarus you got the Osc Morph modes that could add e.g. FM, Sync, phase distortion and lots of other stuff to the wavetables. Not to forget it has more than 60 different filter modes.

Additive synth or synths with an additive waveform editor could produce almost any possible single cycle waveform. In Icarus you could import a single cycle waveform from a WAV file and tehn tweak in in teh spectral/additive waveform editor (and/or with free drawing).

Of course also synths that offer sample playback are very flexible as a sample could be based on any sound you could imagine (or on real/acoustic instruments for which sampling is used a lot).
In Avenger you could use both samples and wavetables (and you could import wavetables from WAV wavetables like done in e.g. Icarus using the resamle feature in Avanger).

With the FFT filter in Icarus (works with single waveforms or wavetables) the waveforms could be tweaked quite a lot. As opposing to an additive editor the FFT filter works in real time this works for all waveforms of a wavetable if you scan trough the table. The FFT filter is included with each osc (up to 8 Oscs could be used) and independent from the other filters.
Additionally the OScs in Avenger also offer FM, AM Sync and additionally the X-Cite and Formant features to further tweak the waveforms, wavetables and samples.

I got both Icarus and Avanger and together they are very powerful.
Hi Ingo(nator),
it's an older thread but I want to use it to state that I always appreciate your profound support. Always very interesting. :tu:
Cheers

Return to “Instruments”