Synths with lots of tweaking / tuning on OSC before going into Filter section?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
zzz00m
KVRian
1293 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:09 am

I would add SynthMaster 2.9 to the list. It has plenty of oscillator tweaks available, especially since the addition of full wavetable support.

No wavetable editor yet, but you can import Serum wavetables, etc. The editor is planned for v3.0 release.

The addition of 4 new types of ZDF (Zero Delay Feedback) filters in v2.8 also adds to the osc + filter combo to make some great new sounds!
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

nichttuntun
KVRist
480 posts since 22 Nov, 2017

Re: Synths with lots of tweaking / tuning on OSC before going into Filter section?

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:26 am

My thoughts:

Tone2 - ICARUS
Meldaproductions - MPOWERSYNTH
U-he - ZEBRA2 / BAZILLE

These are the freakiest Synth I know concerning your question in the above order.

A joyful modulation :love:

SMH
KVRist
179 posts since 22 Feb, 2017

Re: Synths with lots of tweaking / tuning on OSC before going into Filter section?

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:51 am

:love:

nichttuntun
KVRist

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:14 am

SMH wrote:Image

Hi.
Wow, this ANA-SYNTH looks great. I couldn't find much sound samples on the net and unfortunately the "specs" page on the devs site doesn't work.

Can you tell if the synth can work in audio rate and how good the FM ist working/ sounding?

Are the wave- forms of the OSCs working seamless? Or can you just choose the fundamental wave-form in each OSC?

Are there sync and cross - modulations? How many modulation sources and destinations are there?

Thanks in advance.

PS
Charging from the typical architecture of the VA I doubt that ANA-SYNTH has so much OSC tweaking to offer like the before mentioned synth. If that would be so it would be simply the Ubersynth.

SMH
KVRist
179 posts since 22 Feb, 2017

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:17 am

nichttuntun wrote:

Hi.
Wow, this ANA-SYNTH looks great. I couldn't find much sound samples on the net and unfortunately the "specs" page on the devs site doesn't work.

Can you tell if the synth can work in audio rate and how good the FM ist working/ sounding?

Are the wave- forms of the OSCs working seamless? Or can you just choose the fundamental wave-form in each OSC?

Are there sync and cross - modulations? How many modulation sources and destinations are there?

Thanks in advance.

PS
Charging from the typical architecture of the VA I doubt that ANA-SYNTH has so much OSC tweaking to offer like the before mentioned synth. If that would be so it would be simply the Ubersynth.
I sent Admiral an email about the broken page.

This is Polyana. ANA is another synth plug in from a different developer. Yes the audio rate modulation is amazing!! Yes sync and cross modulations and FM! The osc waves 'morph'- that's not a waveform switch its a continuous knob. (Well kinda both. You'll see!) Try it out! Audio demos are here http://www.admiralquality.com/poly-ana-demos/

Yes it's uber I lose myself in it! I've had it for a few months now and still learning new things it can do. Lately been getting seriously in to the FX version- polyphonic filtering! :love:

zerocrossing
KVRAF
9299 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:37 am

Ingonator wrote:Wavetable synths are very flexible concerning the Oscs, especially if they include a built-in wavetable and waveform editor (e.g. an additive partials/harmonics editor) and could load custom waveforms like in e.g. Tone2 Icarus. Besides that in Icarus you got the Osc Morph modes that could add e.g. FM, Sync, phase distortion and lots of other stuff to the wavetables. Not to forget it has more than 60 different filter modes.

Additive synth or synths with an additive waveform editor could produce almost any possible single cycle waveform. In Icarus you could import a single cycle waveform from a WAV file and tehn tweak in in teh spectral/additive waveform editor (and/or with free drawing).

Of course also synths that offer sample playback are very flexible as a sample could be based on any sound you could imagine (or on real/acoustic instruments for which sampling is used a lot).
In Avenger you could use both samples and wavetables (and you could import wavetables from WAV wavetables like done in e.g. Icarus using the resamle feature in Avanger).

With the FFT filter in Icarus (works with single waveforms or wavetables) the waveforms could be tweaked quite a lot. As opposing to an additive editor the FFT filter works in real time this works for all waveforms of a wavetable if you scan trough the table. The FFT filter is included with each osc (up to 8 Oscs could be used) and independent from the other filters.
Additionally the OScs in Avenger also offer FM, AM Sync and additionally the X-Cite and Formant features to further tweak the waveforms, wavetables and samples.

I got both Icarus and Avanger and together they are very powerful.
Icarus has become my go-to synth for wavetable excursions that don’t require a lot of modulation. Not that it doesn’t have a decent amount, but something like Zebra or Omnisphere is always going to be better. But I often don’t want to spend a lot of time in a playground like Omnisphere or Zebra. I just want a tool that can give me excellent results quickly. I’m working on a project where I turn Fizmo patches into wavetables and its been invaluable in recreating those Transwaves quickly and easily.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

nichttuntun
KVRist

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:47 am

SMH wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:

Hi.

Thanks in advance.

PS
I sent Admiral an email about the broken page.

This is Polyana. ANA is another synth plug in from a different developer. Yes the audio rate modulation is amazing!! Yes sync and cross modulations and FM! The osc waves 'morph'- that's not a waveform switch its a continuous knob. (Well kinda both. You'll see!) Try it out! Audio demos are here http://www.admiralquality.com/poly-ana-demos/

Yes it's uber I lose myself in it! I've had it for a few months now and still learning new things it can do. Lately been getting seriously in to the FX version- polyphonic filtering! :love:
Hi,
I bought this full analog sounding sound-design monster and love the options it offers for sound-sculpting/ modulation. I wished a few days ago THE LEGEND could have that...now wish forfilled! Awesom. The FM sounds fantastic and I got cool and crazy sounding stuff out of it in no time. It is like an analog modular-system without cables. Great!

If you write the developers, could you please tell them the GUI is far too small for modern screens? Even with the alternative skins, the fonts are barely readable and that is a BIG letdown for me and totally outdated :(

I love the sound of this analog heaven sound-design monster but I don´t like to use it due to the small GUI. This Synth is out since 2007 and got constant updates...why didn´t they focus on that issue to?

Cheers and joyful modulating.

Igro
KVRAF
3988 posts since 26 Apr, 2007 from Noosphere

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:22 am

Parawave Rapid has some OSC modifiers. Great synth overal.

I'm waiting for Diversion 2. This I guess will have osc modifiers.

Architeuthis
KVRAF
2961 posts since 28 Jan, 2006 from Phoenix, AZ

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:15 am

I'd like to create a synth where the oscillators have extensive tweakability. The filters have extensive tweakability. The LFOs have extensive tweakability. EVERYTHING HAS TWEAKABILITY. Want to use your envelope section as an oscillator? Sure. Use your oscillators as a pseudo-filter? Fine. Use your filter as an envelope generator? Why not. Leave nothing to assumptions! I already have tweakable filters, though I need to do a bit more work on making it user friendly.

Touch The Universe
KVRAF
3333 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:22 am

An envelope as an oscillator? How would one use it?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101, Hive, Electra 2, Diversion, Halion, Largo, Rapid, Dune II, and Spire.
http://www.touch-the-universe.com/

pdxindy
KVRAF
13888 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:12 am

Architeuthis wrote:I'd like to create a synth where the oscillators have extensive tweakability. The filters have extensive tweakability. The LFOs have extensive tweakability. EVERYTHING HAS TWEAKABILITY. Want to use your envelope section as an oscillator? Sure. Use your oscillators as a pseudo-filter? Fine. Use your filter as an envelope generator? Why not. Leave nothing to assumptions! I already have tweakable filters, though I need to do a bit more work on making it user friendly.
Bazille is good that way... I've made a couple presets where an Envelope is the sound source (Osc). The Sequencer works great as an Osc.

zenophilix
KVRian
729 posts since 21 Apr, 2016

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:16 am

Synthmaster is a tweakfest.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

liv
KVRian
1352 posts since 26 Feb, 2013 from Sweden

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:24 am

Bazille.

justin3am
KVRAF
10432 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:41 am

pdxindy wrote:Bazille is good that way... I've made a couple presets where an Envelope is the sound source (Osc). The Sequencer works great as an Osc.
Yes, and the oscillators can be used as wavefolders, if the Tune multiplier is set to 0 and you send another Osc or modulation source to the phase input. If you set the Oscillator to use the 'tapmap' for the shape, you can get some wile wavetable-like effects this way. Or using the sequencer as a lo-fi wavetable, by modulating the rotation parameter at audio rate.

Bazille is a truly patch-programmable synth (in the way that Serge modulars are).

himalaya
KVRAF
4815 posts since 23 Mar, 2006 from pendeLondonmonium

Post Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:48 am

Lotuzia wrote:If you're looking into the domain of analog modelled oscillators, none will take you further than Xils-Lab PolyKB III, with dynamic morphing of analog modelled waveforms.

From the site :

"The PolyKB III captures the sound and spirit of the legendary RSF PolyKobol 2 polyphonic synthesizer, including its most revolutionnary feature : Morphing analog Oscillators.

This set it apart from all the other common analog synth recreations, because you have instant access to hundreds of different analog modelled & free running oscillators waveforms. More than in other synthesizer, including those who propose switching between oscillators models. Icing on the cake, they can be dynamically modulated by many sources
."
This was all possible in Cypher1 which was released years and years ago...also with analogue modeled oscillators, with waveform morphing, and real time, "dynamic" modulation by a long list of mod sources....
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design

Return to “Instruments”