Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I've come to depend on HALion for many of my current projects.
I've also had sporadic interest in Falcon and Serum. However, I'm quite skeptical about the developer of one and positively cynical about the other's security software. I've regularly said that the moment Falcon kicks PACE to the gutter I would buy it immediately.
From what I see here in the new HALion, I most likely will stop looking at those others at all.
Definitely getting H6.

fmr wrote:
tripleflows wrote:FYI: The wavetable editor is second to none, very detailed and with lots of clever things like
- automatic pitch detection and correction,
- drawing odd and even harmonics and phase separately,
- editing the harmonics for a multi selection of waves, thus emphasizing different formant characteristics
- 256 spectral wave slots
- You can undock the wavetable editor to full screen mode
- and sounds awesome. Too addictive actually...

Falcon is still ahead of the game in terms of modulation possibilites, but the wavetable implementation is the deepest here...
So, you seem to have had hands-on. How about the sample/wave editor?
Much improved... no more annoying missing features, like the lack of fade-in fade-out on sample level, plus you can add non-destructive pitch (with automatic pitch detection) and level curves to each and every sample, trim, etc. - and of these are non-destructive, but you can export the samples with changes written into files.
I did not find any missing feature anymore... actually it is already H6 so it was about time to get a fully featured sample editor. :D

Also, I was against the "sampler" thing, but this is somehow a fun and quick to use! You can basically sample everything via the side-chain input: VSTs', tracks, main output of DAW or even HALion itself. And DAW can now be ProTools as well as AAX will be supported too.

They do not mention, but finally you can also automate nearly all parameters via host parameter automation... or you can do the same with the full MIDI learn implementation.

Triggering samples by note-off has also arrived...and several more fine details surely will be discussed at the official launch.
Last edited by tripleflows on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote:So you really hate me that much, eh? :hihi:
Oh no, not at all! It's nothing personally. For me it's just annoying when a forum is occupied by always the same "knowing-it-all and knowing-it-better" persons. Peace!

Aerio wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:So you really hate me that much, eh? :hihi:
Oh no, not at all! It's nothing personally. For me it's just annoying when a forum is occupied by always the same "knowing-it-all and knowing-it-better" persons. Peace!
But he does know it all. On multiple forums no less. That's a good thing.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Yeah I don't know it all, nor do I pretend to know all. I know what I know and I share what I can. :)

EvilDragon wrote:Yeah I don't know it all, nor do I pretend to know all.
Instant bookmark :wink:

Orbit-50 wrote:But he does know it all.
Sure.

Steinberg's approach to wavetable synthesis and resynthesis is the best I've heard, up to par with Alchemy 2 but a different approach. Designing custom interfaces without a Ph.D. in rocket science is possible, HALion 6 should be a big success, but who knows...

Looks great actually. Time to demo, when they release one.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Steinberg's approach to wavetable synthesis and resynthesis is the best I've heard, up to par with Alchemy 2 but a different approach. Designing custom interfaces without a Ph.D. in rocket science is possible, HALion 6 should be a big success, but who knows...
Originally coming from Kontakt, for me H5 was a sound designer's dream coming true. H6 extends this in every detail. Brilliant work (who would have thought this after the lame Cubase 9 update)!

I'm going to assume that once HALion 6 goes on sale, there is no way to get HALion 5 directly through Steinberg any longer.

So here's my question. If I can somehow get HALion 5 used (I assume they'll have to transfer the license if even possible) will I then be able to upgrade to HALion 6 free under the grace period (as it's new to me) or because it's an old license, the free upgrade doesn't apply?

Yes, I'm blatantly (but legally, if possible) trying to get HALion 6 for less than full price. Will this work or do I basically just have to wait and see if they put it on sale sometime in the future?

And naturally, there is always the risk of buying through a 3rd party as you have no idea how they got their copy, if it's even legit or what have you.

The notorious discount discussion fills every single KVR thread.

Sampleconstruct wrote:The notorious discount discussion fills every single KVR thread.
You hit the sucker punch right there, ouch

So true, if it is a superior tool, there is no need for a discount

Halion 5 really isn't the quickest to use and learn but it does sound great especially the granular stuff, it integrates into the Cubase universe very well. You also get HalionSonic which uses the same sample pool and is a great low resource rompler. I don't have any of the big factory sample libraries and tbh would not be on the same page as the Kontakt world . Take a listen to Simons libraries to get an idea of what it is capable of and steer clear of orchestral and piano etc

Halion 5 is similar in a lot ways to Falcon as it uses multiple synthesis methods to create sounds. If Halion 6 improves on that I may well take a look.
Last edited by woodsdenis on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Numanoid wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:The notorious discount discussion fills every single KVR thread.
You hit the sucker punch right there, ouch

So true, if it is a superior tool, there is no need for a discount
Well, you know, when you've just spent close to 2 grand on a special project, not to mention the hundreds of dollars I spent in December on

Rapid
Repro-1
Nemesis
Avenger
MODO Bass
Glitch 2
Cyber Songman Vocaloid
Music Labs Bundle
Poly KB III
Sunrizer

Money's a little tight. I'm not looking to do anything illegal or unethical. I'm looking to see if there is a way I can save some money, something I think we each try to do when we can.

But I'll drop it as I can see it's upsetting some people and that's the last thing I want to do.

I'll contact Steinberg directly, be honest with them and see what they say.

And with that, there is no need to discuss this any further.

Return to “Instruments”