Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

T-CM11 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Depends, really. Broadband is not too expensive over here in Croatia, I can download at 5 MB/s, which means 30 gigabytes is downloaded in less than 2 hours... :)
For me it's not the expense. It doesn't cost me anything to download. It's the time it takes. I don't know how you're able to download 30 gig so fast. My download speed just tested at 133.92 Mbps. Just recently, I purchased Chris Hein's Solo Violin. It was 4 files of 2 gig each. Each file took me a half hour to download. That's 2 hours to download 8 gig. So a 30 gig file would take me about 8 hours.

Yeah, no thanks.
133.92 Mbps = 16.6 MB/s * 3600 = +/-60 000 MB/h = +/-60 GB / hour
I don't care what the math works out to. There are other factors involved. Network traffic and/or bottlenecks. Problems with the site and a 100 meg download can take hours. Now maybe that's what the problem was that night. Point is, you can't guarantee that there won't be problems and a 1 hour download won't take 8 hours. It happens.

wagtunes wrote: I don't care what the math works out to. There are other factors involved. Network traffic and/or bottlenecks. Problems with the site and a 100 meg download can take hours. Now maybe that's what the problem was that night. Point is, you can't guarantee that there won't be problems and a 1 hour download won't take 8 hours. It happens.
O course you care about the math... at least you can download it a lot faster at another time (when Steinberg's server is cooperating :P ). Imagine you lived somewhere where only mobile internet was available... :party: :wink:

I have 50 Mbit download. That boils down to 5.something megabytes per second. 30 gigabytes is 30000 megabytes (roughly), divide that by 5 and you get 1.666... so yeah it's a pretty fast download of Halion 6, if I ever want to get it. :D

And it's a pretty stable connection so I don't worry about it taking more than what it should.

Regarding your experience downloading Chris Hein stuff - different servers allow different amount of connections to them and offer different bandwidth, so it's not ALWAYS about your download speed. It's also about what the server can provide. But in great majority of cases, I have no such issues over here.

That's way too big for a demo I think... why would they not cut that down to a small demo sound set?...

Echoes in the Attic wrote:That's way too big for a demo I think... why would they not cut that down to a small demo sound set?...
Because that's the retail version (meaning: the FULL version). If you ever want to activate it, you just have to purchase the license, and load it to your eLicenser. It's hassle free for them, and a much better demo for the user (one may experience the product to it's full extent, without having to wonder how it would be in the "real" version).

IMO, this is much better than a crippled version, which sometimes can give the user a bad idea.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:That's way too big for a demo I think... why would they not cut that down to a small demo sound set?...
Because that's the retail version (meaning: the FULL version). If you ever want to activate it, you just have to purchase the license, and load it to your eLicenser. It's hassle free for them, and a much better demo for the user (one may experience the product to it's full extent, without having to wonder how it would be in the "real" version).

IMO, this is much better than a crippled version, which sometimes can give the user a bad idea.
That I do agree with. If I'm gonna demo something, I want to demo the thing I'm actually gonna be getting and not some "lite" version.

EvilDragon wrote:I have 50 Mbit download. That boils down to 5.something megabytes per second. 30 gigabytes is 30000 megabytes (roughly), divide that by 5 and you get 1.666... so yeah it's a pretty fast download of Halion 6, if I ever want to get it. :D

And it's a pretty stable connection so I don't worry about it taking more than what it should.

Regarding your experience downloading Chris Hein stuff - different servers allow different amount of connections to them and offer different bandwidth, so it's not ALWAYS about your download speed. It's also about what the server can provide. But in great majority of cases, I have no such issues over here.
That was pretty much my point. I have no idea what it's going to be like downloading from Steinberg. I guess I could always just try and if I see it's going to take hours just cancel it once I have a pretty good idea.

Exactly.

Fair points. However it would be cool if it were at least optional to download content. I only care about testing the vst3 note expression stuff in Bitwig. If that's useless then I don't want to spend the time downloading a bunch of samples I don't need to try.

What happens to your Halion 5 license when installing the trial? is it easy to get back to Halion 5 if you don't want to upgrade?

Thanks.

LoopyFruit wrote:What happens to your Halion 5 license when installing the trial? is it easy to get back to Halion 5 if you don't want to upgrade?

Thanks.
This is what I would be careful with. But since it is a new license, not an upgrade, I believe that HALion 5 license will remain untouched. The problem of replacing one for the other only occurs with the upgrade, and that's where a replacemente was needed, if we want to keep using previous versions.
Fernando (FMR)

Thanks fmr, much appreciated.

Hi all,

We have launched a series of getting started videos on our youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... fpd6SMBh75

There will be more videos in the future so please subscribe to the channel. There will be new videos on the macro page designer available soon. If you have any requests or questions that you would like to have answered in the videos, please let me know.

Cheers from Hamburg
Matthias
Matthias Quellmann - Senior Marketing Manager | Cubase
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

MatthiasQ wrote:Hi all,

We have launched a series of getting started videos on our youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... fpd6SMBh75

There will be more videos in the future so please subscribe to the channel. There will be new videos on the macro page designer available soon. If you have any requests or questions that you would like to have answered in the videos, please let me know.

Cheers from Hamburg
Matthias
Tx These are great and much needed, Halion is very powerful but not the most intuitive.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Hi there,

There is a new series of "Getting Started" videos dedicated to the Macro Page Designer and creating your own custom instrument in HALion 6.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... GYeg4A94CY

Cheers from Hamburg,
Matthias
Matthias Quellmann - Senior Marketing Manager | Cubase
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Return to “Instruments”