VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waverazor

The UI is a bit counterintuitive, I think things will get significantly better
once the editor is released. Having access to the macro functionality and such,
should make things a bit more evident.

The UI is a disaster IMHO. It certainly sounds good, or should I say, bad ... very nasty indeed.

I haven't watched the videos so could somebody who has please explain exactly what it is that is patentable and unique about the waveform splicing? I presume that something of far greater significance than being able to draw a waveform is going on, for which Serum's editor is rather more full featured than the one here.

Not seeing it....is there a link to the demo?
pekbro wrote:Ok, demo is available NOW... Pretty neat, definitely worth a look, I think.
I like it so far...

Trial does not work at all for me in Cubase 9. First scan hangs. Second adds it but it wont make any sounds.
FT

lnikj wrote:The UI is a disaster IMHO. It certainly sounds good, or should I say, bad ... very nasty indeed.

I haven't watched the videos so could somebody who has please explain exactly what it is that is patentable and unique about the waveform splicing? I presume that something of far greater significance than being able to draw a waveform is going on, for which Serum's editor is rather more full featured than the one here.
Near as I can tell, other than being real-time, nothing is significantly
different to drawing your own waveforms.

The difference is in the playback. A wave table synth like serum can cycle through
a series (table) of different waveforms. In other words, it swaps the waveform in and out
of the oscillation cycle. Waverazor on the other hand, divides a generated waveform's oscillation
cycle into a step sequence, and those steps can be synced and modulated in various ways during
the oscillation cycle.

*I guess a step sequence is not quite the right way to look at it.
Rather, it fractionalizes the osc cycle, which implies that multiple
sections of the waveform can occupy the cycle at the same time.

I think so anyway, tbh I don't know shit... :tu:
Last edited by pekbro on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

flametop wrote:Trial does not work at all for me in Cubase 9. First scan hangs. Second adds it but it wont make any sounds.
You have to create an account at tracktion.com and register for demo mode or it's silent. Which is stupid, considering that the plugin doesn't tell you that. I thought it was broken too.

...but it was mentioned in this thread just a few posts ago :)

I'm still waiting for them to straighten out my registration; I paid for it, it says registration succeeded and it's still stuck in demo mode. :P

A good analogy for Waverazor, would be to think of your basic wavetable synth like
a conveyor belt. Think of Waverazor like an engine with pistons and a crankshaft.

-Cheers

The "editor" on Biotek was released, from just a quick look, about 6-7 months after launch. My guess is they will release the Waverazor editor update for the Black Friday season and they will be able to keep it at a discounted price for a little longer.

Will it find its way into a bundle for Waveform 2?

Thanks. Installed demo, tried a couple of dozen presets and fiddled a bit on my own, deleted it as unusable....may sound fine in theory, but added nothing to my current sonic arsenal

I think that I'm going to buy this - it's definitely different then the norm: what it seems to be about is 'sync' sorts of sounds that you would get from a typical synthesizer syncing osc B to osc A. What it seems to lack at this point more then anything else (and please take this as a knee-jerk reaction) is what I might call: 'taming' - someone else mentioned in this thread about limited sweetspots - those spots need to be honed in on. An analogy might be that you had a hardware synth that just had coarse tuning for all of it's oscillators - that synth would be difficult to work with, quite simply because of the lack of 'in-use' precision.

Waverazor is obviously from a brilliant mind - patent-pending oscillator design is clear evidence of that - but it's synthesis method's useful strengths need to be identified - and brought under finer control.

My $0.02 (and maybe worth even less) - GA

-Re unable to authorize past demo mode:

From Support:

1. Quit Waveform or 3rd party DAW.
2. Move the Waverazor settings file to the trash. Most common locations for this are:

Mac: Users-Home-Folder/Library/Application Support/mok/waverazor/waverazor.settings
PC: "C://Users/username/AppData/Roaming/mok/waverazor/waverazor.settings"

NOTE: For Mac users, that is a hidden location. From the finder 'Go' menu, hold down the Option key to display the Library folder.

3. Open up Waveform again and add Waverazor to your edit.
4. Click the button to register Waverazor again.
5. Enter your Tracktion account email and password.

Thats got it sorted for me.

-Cheers

I'm not in love yet. I like the concept and am very interested in this kind of sounds, but got nothing usable so far.

I've spent time trying to tweak every button, and instead of starting the sound trip I expected, I constantly just go "out of bounds" and simply obtain unusable garbage. Most of the time, all I do is push a button forward and back constantly because it's making everything sound worse.

Maybe I need more time to demo it and understand it better. Now I'm very curious to hear what people can do with it.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Yeah, the settings file trick did it for me too.

"Sophia" was the old synth I was thinking of which this reminds me of.

I really think Waverazor's sound engine has enormous promise, but the decision to limit the basic synth editing was a mistake, and the UI design overall doesn't help sell the thing's abilities.

pekbro wrote:
lnikj wrote:The UI is a disaster IMHO. It certainly sounds good, or should I say, bad ... very nasty indeed.

Near as I can tell, other than being real-time, nothing is significantly
different to drawing your own waveforms.

The difference is in the playback. A wave table synth like serum can cycle through
a series (table) of different waveforms. In other words, it swaps the waveform in and out
of the oscillation cycle. Waverazor on the other hand, divides a generated waveform's oscillation
cycle into a step sequence, and those steps can be synced and modulated in various ways during
the oscillation cycle.

*I guess a step sequence is not quite the right way to look at it.
Rather, it fractionalizes the osc cycle, which implies that multiple
sections of the waveform can occupy the cycle at the same time.

I think so anyway, tbh I don't know shit... :tu:
Thanks for the explanation. I assumed that something more was going on. I'm still not entirely clear what it is but thanks for trying :-)

The playback doesn't sound a million miles from Malstrom ie. like a kind of 'Graintable' + added sync, or am I misunderstanding again?

Return to “Instruments”