MOK Waverazor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waverazor

If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

got an email earlier today from MOK saying that the release has been pushed back to late March at least.

bummed.

For those not on their mailing list, I was emailed that launch is happening tomorrow (April 15th). Beyond the "aggressive" marketing angle -- which doesn't hold much interest for me -- I am really curious how glassy, metallic and ice cold digital this thing can get.

Of course, that's not everywhere in the world, but as far as I'm concerned, April 15th is over, and still no news. I just can't wait to try this thing... :D
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

https://shrine.mok.com/index.php?qa=54& ... e-traction

I'm just gonna assume nothing happens on Easter Sunday and hope for a Monday release, maybe. :shrug:

Managed to get in touch with the MOK guys and have been told that the initial release version is finished. Holdup seems to be getting the last bits of the ecomm finalized during the Easter break. So any time now...
:tu:

Ok, demo is available NOW... Pretty neat, definitely worth a look, I think.
I like it so far...

I've failed the first test.

Can't get a sound out of it at all in Live or Logic on my Mac.

Problem in chair I suspect so must get coffee and try again :-)

lnikj wrote:I've failed the first test.

Can't get a sound out of it at all in Live or Logic on my Mac.

Problem in chair I suspect so must get coffee and try again :-)
For anybody else suffering the same pratfall, you have to register with the Tracktion marketplace and then register the plugin in order to get any sound :oops:

There does seem to be a slight niggle unlocking it from demo mode.
I have alerted TSC to this. Cuz yeah, I bought it. Right after running it through Crusher-X.
And that was just the clincher...

lnikj wrote:For anybody else suffering the same pratfall, you have to register with the Tracktion marketplace and then register the plugin in order to get any sound :oops:
Yeah, I wish it had made that clearer.

So far I have mixed feelings. The sound generation is actually way more innovative than I originally thought, but pretty unpredictable/unintuitive right now. I'm getting FM-like, dirty wavetable-like sounds and things that I just can't compare to anything else.

There was a freeware synth about 13 years ago whose name I forget, made in SynthEdit I think, which made really dirty noisy drones, had an obscure and impossible to read interface, and killed CPU -- that's sort of the vibe I'm getting here sometimes. (Though Waverazor seems pretty light on CPU.)

At the same time, I kind of hate the interface more than I thought I would. Some of the text in popup menus is impossible. There are language options to set it to Sanskrit, Klingon, Sindarin etc. and as far as legibility goes, you might as well use those. The mode controls for editing the waves are spread around oddly and didn't make much sense at first (I haven't read the manual and don't feel I should have to for basic operation). There are some controls that appear to do nothing except light up, and others that look like they should be expression controllers but drastically alter the sound into something unrecognizable at the slightest movement.

It's capable of really smooth, clean and almost analog-ish tones... but those can be very, very narrow sweet spots. Everything needs to be tuned just right or it goes to digital hell and it's hard, or impossible, to bring it back.

The fact that a lot of basic, vital synth editing stuff just doesn't exist in it yet and every preset has hidden parameters -- envelope, filter type, effect type, step sequencer, modulation routings maybe? and unknown other stuff -- makes the whole thing more difficult to understand and frustrating to use.

I feel like whoever came up with the concept and DSP for this is brilliant, but should have worked with someone who can build a very clean, clear, readable, intuitive UI that makes such an unusual synth design accessible. Or else it should have been a modular oscillator with some a lot of the editing stuff trimmed back, maybe -- it's got a vibe that would fit right in with The Harvestman stuff and I bet it would sound amazing through an LPG.

I'm kind of leaning toward buying it at the intro price -- if nothing else it's a mean drone machine.

"You have 29 days, 718 hours, and 43104 minutes reamining in demo mode"

So a total of almost 89 days, then? :hihi:

Eh, bought it.

Did anyone who paid for it successfully get it to show up as not still in Demo Mode? :?

Return to “Instruments”