Sonic Academy new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ANA ANA 2 The Earth & Moon Expansion

Phil Sonic Academy wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:51 am
greedy.mf wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:27 am Very nice synth overall, IO and soundwise. Although one thing bugs me quite hard - absence of dedicated volume control for filters.
Using drive might be a crass workaround, because it changes harmonics and dynamics. Which is very cool on it's own but no substitute for "digital" gain.
We have Filter Pre-Gain in testing at the minute.. should make the next major update.

Its especially useful for the modeled plugins... you can get some quite different tones by modifying the input gain.
That’s good news, however I am not sure how useful prefilter gain is compared to post.
Once you’ve dialed in the tone on one filter, it’s almost impossible to mix it with another in parallel configuration without post filter gain.
Drive has sufficient amount of gain as well.

nachenko wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:59 am
Phil Sonic Academy wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:04 pm It’s called NODE.. you can drop samples into one of 8 slots... you can select which part of the sample you want to use with some resampling there too so you can zoom in / out etc.

Then you can morph between each “frame” in different ways. Then you can export to ANA (or serum) as a 256 frame wavetable.
Oh, captain, my captain!
Interesting, what's the eta?
Always Read the Manual!

Once again, enjoying ANA 2. Sophisticated enough to cover most sound design needs for a producer, simple enough not to get lost on the way.

One more thought on filters:
Would it be possible to make solo/mute buttons for filters?
When they are in parallel it would be of help so you can isolate one without affecting the setting of the other.

Also solo\mute for OSCs would be nice too. I mean not in mixer, but in upper left corner, where 1-2-3 buttons are. Simple meter for an OSC could be useful too. You could see that it generate sound, then isolate with solo and tweak to your liking. Save a plenty of mousework since you've got to click on an OSC either way.
Speaking of mixer, "all mutes/solo off" button would be nice as well.

And last thing - could ARP/CMD/MOD/SETTINGS close "x" button be at the same spot where the tabs are?
Or implement double click to close it.
Again, saves mouse mileage.

I hope together we can make ANA2 even better :tu:

greedy.mf wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:17 pm And last thing - could ARP/CMD/MOD/SETTINGS close "x" button be at the same spot where the tabs are?
It seems like a small thing, and one which I've never noticed being annoying with another synth, but opening and closing tabs feels so clunky with ANA2. They should definitely modify this.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:51 pm
greedy.mf wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:17 pm And last thing - could ARP/CMD/MOD/SETTINGS close "x" button be at the same spot where the tabs are?
It seems like a small thing, and one which I've never noticed being annoying with another synth, but opening and closing tabs feels so clunky with ANA2. They should definitely modify this.
I'm asking for this since forever: right click anywhere in the footer to close the popups (tabs).

I’ll add this to the feature list.

Phil Sonic Academy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 pm I’ll add this to the feature list.
Great, thanks!
Any thoughts regarding the rest of my suggestions?

I’m thinking of adding a small advanced filter settings pop up window.. pre / post gain faders. Cut off offset and panning stuff. Could really open up some possibilities with the filters.

Phil Sonic Academy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:24 pm I’m thinking of adding a small advanced filter settings pop up window.. pre / post gain faders. Cut off offset and panning stuff. Could really open up some possibilities with the filters.
Please implement a faster way to close popups... as I previously mentioned, closing with right click on the header (or anywhere in the windows if it doesnt conflicts with something else) of the popup is super handy. Cheers!

Clicking outside pop up... pressing escape or return key maybe?

Phil Sonic Academy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:24 pm Clicking outside pop up... pressing escape or return key maybe?
Keys can be assigned (as keycommands) and it can get confusing. Many daws use Enter for play/stop. I personally have Esc associated with stack open/close in Logic.

Clicking outside would not be consistent on the entire GUI: when browsing 3D wavetables I always twist the Morph knob to check it, will close the browser every time.

But right click on the header zone is the best/fast way to close the popup and can be implemented globally for all popups (browser, settings, arp, g-env, modmatrix etc.)

sircuit wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:16 pm
Phil Sonic Academy wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:24 pm Clicking outside pop up... pressing escape or return key maybe?
Keys can be assigned (as keycommands) and it can get confusing. Many daws use Enter for play/stop. I personally have Esc associated with stack open/close in Logic.

Clicking outside would not be consistent on the entire GUI: when browsing 3D wavetables I always twist the Morph knob to check it, will close the browser every time. Maybe clicking outside the popups but not on knobs, sliders or buttons can do the trick though...

But right click on the header zone is the best/fast way to close the popup and can be implemented globally for all popups (browser, settings, arp, g-env, modmatrix etc.)

Phil Sonic Academy wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:51 am the next major update.
Woohoo!
I thought ANA 2 was abandoned, since it hasn't been updated in about a year.
I still like it as it is, but fixes and new features are always welcome.

I wouldn't abandon it even if they did
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I'm glad to read that those suggestions are all them minor workflow adjustments. No mention to the sound engine or overall stability. That means the core product is very, very solid.

I know keeping a product stable and bug free is not as sexy as new features, specially for marketing purposes, but i do appreciate that a tool I use almost daily is that reliable.

My wishlist is actually pretty short: reliable first, new features second. If that means waiting more time to next release, so be it. It's time well spent.

Great job, Sonic Academy.
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

Return to “Instruments”