Sonic Academy new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ANA ANA 2 The Earth & Moon Expansion

chk071 wrote:
db3 wrote:Choice comments from Sonic Academy on social media...

Aliasing is completely gone...
Marketing bogus detected. Every VA synth aliases. :P

Sorry, had to nitpick at least once today. Back to ANA. :)
is it the Same for Hardware VA like a Nord or a Virus ?

or is it the unavoidable side-effect of plugins (daw selected sampling frequency)
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

realmarco wrote:
chk071 wrote:
db3 wrote:Choice comments from Sonic Academy on social media...

Aliasing is completely gone...

or is it the unavoidable side-effect of plugins (daw selected sampling frequency)
Don't know about Nords but Virus TI aliases noticeably (actually far more than current plugins).

I think, if your synth doesn't produce any clearly heard aliasing-related artifacts in the commonly playable registers you may call it alias-free. Alisaing in ANA is currenlty a really bad problem.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

ok I predict the Gui will look Like xfer serum or Waves' Codex

equipped with 3D graph doohickeys
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

I predict that it will cost more than ANA.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

meh, new synth news should be "new look for same old sounds" synth from "blah blah"
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:meh, new synth news should be "new look for same old sounds" synth from "blah blah"
Could you e-mail me at Soundemote at gmail dot com to get a Chaosfly beta? Almost ready to send it out. I'd like to address your "new look for same old sounds" issue.

realmarco wrote:
chk071 wrote:
db3 wrote:Choice comments from Sonic Academy on social media...Aliasing is completely gone...
Aliasing is a physical property of converting a continuous (analog) signal into the domain of discrete (digital) signals. When the inputted signal exceeds 1/2 the frequency digital domain parts of the signal "bounce backwards" and create reflections. These reflections are often at intervals that are not harmonic and it is why these reflections sound metallic. This is digital aliasing. Aliasing is part of the physics of digital signal processing. It's like gravity or the constant speed of light. They're just part of our universe.

This means if you put ANYTHING through an analog to digital converter (ADC) you have to account for aliasing. The two most common methods are steep low-pass filters, and sampling more than you need before discarding the upper part (called oversampling).

This means if you take a guitar, record it with a USB interface into a DAW one, or more, components in the chain have to identify and eliminate aliasing.

When plugin developers talk about aliasing and the removal of it, what they are doing is internally applying oversampling or filtering to discard the unwanted harmonics. It's a constant battle between CPU efficiency, plugin latency, and final sound quality.

All instrument and effect plugins alias and all virtual analog hardware synths do too. The mark of a good one is they minimize the amount of audible aliasing for almost all use-cases.

If we remove the marketing from Sonic Academy's comment we can interpret it to mean that the team has worked hard to minimize aliasing for most settings and modulations of their instrument. That's no small feat.
Feel free to call me Brian.

I thought ANA was great, and I am looking forward to a new version.

Blow my jockstrap off.
Last edited by twal on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This actually sounds pretty good, especially the acid patch. Nice filter action.

Btw, the Phil's comment on their facebook about the release date : "No later than end of may... probably sooner".
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Just seen on Reddit that they're planning a May/June release, "subject to change". No idea how reliable this is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/ ... they_said/

If it sounds like this, then it's all good:

Return to “Instruments”