Modern soft synths

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
jancivil
KVRAF
16122 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:37 pm

coding isn't music. end of story, for me. I'm far more interested in law, for that matter.
I know my limitations. I'm no sailor, either.

ghettosynth
KVRAF
11420 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Re: Modern soft synths

Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:10 am

wagtunes wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:What you are describing wags is what building and modifying stuff with Reaktor is like at the highest levels. Just take parts of existing synthesizers and make them a part of your own, or another synthesizer. Over time, you might find that there is a natural path down to the lower levels, or maybe not. I can't promise you that there won't be gotchas, as I'm sure that you found out in your medical programming days.

I'll give you a good example. The BlueMatrix and GreenMatrix synths in the classic collection are not really something that are worth putting a lot of effort into because there is a lot of complication in the filters as the devs were using the primary modules in somewhat non-standard ways. Resonance is implemented as feedback outside of the primary filters and the primary filter resonance is fixed. The resonance path is fed from the bandpass output of the standard filter which lends a particular quality to the tone. They can be useful, but, they are definitely inaccurate and replacing the standard filters probably won't buy you much. That's the kind of thing that's best to just either use it or ignore it and move on to more fertile ground.
At least with Reaktor there is stuff to work with. I'm not designing from a blank slate. And yes, in just a couple of days I have come a long way with Reaktor. Nothing super complex yet mind you, but I'm not lost anymore.

xoxos wants me to open up a programming language with a blank project screen and start writing code from scratch.

First of all, I don't even know what language I would need to buy a compiler for to even do this. I'll assume C++. Now it looks like I can buy C++ for under $100. But then I'm probably going to need to buy at least one book to learn how to program in it. And probably another one for DSP programming.
Ok, so I'm not at all suggesting that you go down this path, IMNSHO, it will bring minimal rewards for the effort required and is not in any way "pareto optimal," but, to be clear, if you are ever interested enough to try, you only need c++, and the compiler can be had for free. Microsoft's community edition development tools work just fine for building VSTs. I'm assuming that you have a windows machine. AFAIK, Apples dev tools have always been free and still are.
TLDR - I've got better things to do with my time.
I agree. I'm not advocating jumping into development as a path to anything. I'm only saying that if you want better sound out of Reaktor that you can get a LOT of mileage out of a few basic skills.

Synthman2000
KVRian
546 posts since 27 Apr, 2016

Re: Modern soft synths

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:43 am

Thought I would add my 2 cents.

I like my new Virus Snow, when I need a modern sound for Psy that is where I go. It sounds futuristic to me. It does things other synths are simply are incapable of doing, it has a unique selling point.

I don't like Spire much, it gets used only very occasionally. It may be the Virus Supersaw crew like Spire for that side of it ? Not sure, I am no expert in supersaws. I like how Spire looks and feels but it all seems a tad bland to me (Spire needs an injection of adrenaline for the next update), does not seem to excel at anything I need. I choose something else that sounds better usually.

Return to “Instruments”