Reaktor Blocks vs. Softube Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

8) ...
Last edited by ENVIRON on Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ENVIRON wrote:Here's a nice one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl_VXrTET7k

And the series continues on from there.
Thanks. Appreciate it.

wagtunes wrote:Okay, here's what I'm looking for because I have a little bit of time to kill.

I'm looking for a good basic tutorial on putting blocks together to make a simple ensemble.

2 VCOs
2 Filters
3 ADSRs
2 VCAs
2 LFOs
1 Delay
1 Reverb

That's it. Nothing complicated. I figure once I understand the basics, I can expand from there. I can do this easily in Softube Modular because i understand the patching system. In Reaktor, I don't. It has always puzzled me and it still puzzles me.

So a good tutorial (Preferably video but I'll read if I have to) will help a lot.

Thanks.
It is actually the exact same in Reaktor or in a Modular, once you open the Ensemble Structure
you have all the connections there same as in TM, its just looks different. Its easy to figure out.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

BasariStudios wrote: It is actually the exact same in Reaktor or in a Modular, once you open the Ensemble Structure
you have all the connections there same as in TM, its just looks different. Its easy to figure out.
Well, it's not exactly the same. In a real modular, you place the modules anywhere you want in the cabinet, and you then plug things "in the front" using cables. So, no specific order is required.

In Reaktor, you have the pre-plug the modules in the Structure window in a coherent way for them to work. So, you are building the patch right there (in the front, you will only change settings for each module). For example, if you have Envelope modules and LFO modules, and you want them to affect the oscillators and the filters and the VCAs, you have to plug them there, in a specific order. So, it requires an extra level of abstraction.

But once you get it, yes, it will be pretty much the same thing.
Fernando (FMR)

BasariStudios wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Okay, here's what I'm looking for because I have a little bit of time to kill.

I'm looking for a good basic tutorial on putting blocks together to make a simple ensemble.

2 VCOs
2 Filters
3 ADSRs
2 VCAs
2 LFOs
1 Delay
1 Reverb

That's it. Nothing complicated. I figure once I understand the basics, I can expand from there. I can do this easily in Softube Modular because i understand the patching system. In Reaktor, I don't. It has always puzzled me and it still puzzles me.

So a good tutorial (Preferably video but I'll read if I have to) will help a lot.

Thanks.
It is actually the exact same in Reaktor or in a Modular, once you open the Ensemble Structure
No offense, but it's not the same. I own both. I opened up Reaktor 6 last night and tried to put something together and I was lost. SM is much easier. In fact, it's not even close as far as complexity. You've got all these connections in each module in Reaktor that you don't have in SM and I don't have any idea what has to go to what in order for things to work as evidenced by the fact that when my ensemble was finished, all I got were little clicks. So some part of the connection was missing somewhere.

Where? Not a clue.

With SM, no problems putting together the exact same structure.

In short, I despise Reaktor's UI. It's why all I ever did when using it was just bring up the various synths and play them.

No, not the same. Not even close.

To me, the interaction you're having when programming a synth makes up to obtain pretty different results.
Don't own Softube Modular but've been using Pulsar 900 Series Modular Synthesizer for a while now and there's nothing comparable with Reaktor, programming wise.

@wagtunes

i understand your difficulty with reaktor ui
the connections panel can be quite confusing at first
particularly how envelopes and LFOs are connected to VCAs usw
but it is worth persevering as the availability of interesting blocks in the ul is fantastic
the video i linked to above should help with the basics
sit down with a cuppa or whatever your tipple is and take your time
pm me if you still struggling and i can go through it with you - if you like
anything you struggling with i can post a quick vid to help

all the best

dave

@dave dove
Many thanks for sharing!
Some cleaver Reaktor's units over there (NI).

dave dove wrote:@wagtunes

i understand your difficulty with reaktor ui
the connections panel can be quite confusing at first
particularly how envelopes and LFOs are connected to VCAs usw
but it is worth persevering as the availability of interesting blocks in the ul is fantastic
the video i linked to above should help with the basics
sit down with a cuppa or whatever your tipple is and take your time
pm me if you still struggling and i can go through it with you - if you like
anything you struggling with i can post a quick vid to help

all the best

dave
Thanks. I appreciate it. I just may take you up on your offer.

wagtunes wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:

2 VCOs
2 Filters
3 ADSRs
2 VCAs
2 LFOs
1 Delay
1 Reverb

Thanks.
No offense, but it's not the same. I own both. I opened up Reaktor 6 last night and tried to put something together and I was lost. SM is much easier. In fact, it's not even close as far as complexity. You've got all these connections in each module in Reaktor that you don't have in SM and I don't have any idea what has to go to what in order for things to work as evidenced by the fact that when my ensemble was finished, all I got were little clicks. So some part of the connection was missing somewhere.

Where? Not a clue.

In short, I despise Reaktor's UI. It's why all I ever did when using it was just bring up the various synths and play them.

What a lot of people don't fathom is that reaktor Blocks is just an added framework build on unified core cells , they are just instuments operating on S.R. ..connectionwise
It's a good move from N.I. to show what reaktor is capable off , on the other hand it's a bad move because it confuses a lot people , asking for dragable cables etc...
It's not as intuitive as S.M. simply because reaktor's structure view hasn't changed over the years , the macro's are just a tad bigger , that's all .
So no hanging wires etc...get over it
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:

2 VCOs
2 Filters
3 ADSRs
2 VCAs
2 LFOs
1 Delay
1 Reverb

Thanks.

Where? Not a clue.

What a lot of people don't fathom is that reaktor Blocks is just an added framework build on unified core cells , they are just instuments operating on S.R. ..connectionwise
It's a good move from N.I. to show what reaktor is capable off , on the other hand it's a bad move because it confuses a lot people , asking for dragable cables etc...
It's not as intuitive as S.M. simply because reaktor's structure view hasn't changed over the years , the macro's are just a tad bigger , that's all .
I don't care about the hanging wires so there's nothing to get over. What I care about is there seems to be more things that have to be connected together in the structure view than in SM's UI. Again, trying to make the exact same simple patch in Reaktor that I made in SM, I can't do it because of all these extra connections that I have no clue what they're for or what goes to what.

It is not the hanging wires I care about.

wagtunes wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:

2 VCOs
2 Filters
3 ADSRs
2 VCAs
2 LFOs
1 Delay
1 Reverb

Thanks.

Where? Not a clue.

+1 people who buy Reaktor for the blocks alone, miss the point imho. But, like with almost things in life, those people will exist, wheather i understand it or not. Reaktor is huge and blocks are just a really small part of the whole.

exmatproton wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:

2 VCOs
2 Filters
3 ADSRs
2 VCAs
2 LFOs
1 Delay
1 Reverb

Thanks.

Where? Not a clue.

+1 people who buy Reaktor for the blocks alone, miss the point imho. But, like with almost things in life, those people will exist, wheather i understand it or not. Reaktor is huge and blocks are just a really small part of the whole.
Understood. And I didn't buy Reaktor just for blocks. In fact, I bought Reaktor 5 about 2 years ago with Komplete 9. I bought it to put together my own synths. What I discovered was that the learning curve was exponentially above your basic modular synth (MUX, KarmaFX, Softube, etc) to the point where I just gave up. And even with blocks, the structure of patching them together is beyond me. So okay, maybe I'm an idiot. I'll accept that. But there is no way Reaktor patching is as easy as your basic modular synth.

Are you stupid , I don't now ..thing is it needs some persistence and understanding of the modules , DO NOT ignore the event modules .
They arent necesary when doing basic stuff , but eventually you will need them in the long run .
DO NOT ignore the power of the voice module (shown in example )
Building an 128 voice vocoder/ resiner , took me 4 minutes ..can't do that in softube

People bashing the primary modules have no idea they are superefficient when doing stuff like this ( vocoders ) 1024 band pass filters with a moderate cpu hit .
You either learn the shit , or don't ..

Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”