One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (bh9090 wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

phace, that sounds awesome!

I'm sad that people are having bug problems :cry:. HG Fortune often used SynthEdit which IIRC is notorious. :scared:

If patches change when reopening the project file, I usually can just reload the patch (which is what I do for his other synths that have that problem).

We can also just freeze/bounce tracks to audio :tu:, just not to correct short, inconsistent samples.

574X wrote: ... We can also just freeze/bounce tracks to audio :tu:, just not to correct short, inconsistent samples (which we shouldn't be doing, strictly, as we should "live with the synth as is", but ...).
If I get too much "odd behaviour", even as a Reaper user, then I will resort to freeezing tracks as I go along. Not a lot of choice really, but at least I will get a track done.

dB

I can handle the settings bug. I can even work through the one that kills undo functionality in Abelton, but the one that crashes it when I try to render is going to be a problem. :(

Sorry, not taking part this month. I switched back to Cubase 8.5 to be able to run 32bit plug-ins, but then I got weird "Cannot load xyz.sem" messages. I try to avoid fiddling with compatibility issues and getting angry over it...May be next month with a 64bit plug-in...

updated my mp3 and retouched the sounds, I felt it was too coarse
I'm not that keen on creating dubstep but I DO like listening on it, too lazy to go layering and creating macros for that matter. But I imagine there are a lot of cool sound possibilities with this synth, it reminds me a little of Logics ES1

I had this problem too. It's a royal pain to fix. You have to go into security settings for your VSTPlugins folder and take ownership, that is, make yourself the "Owner" of the folder & all its descendants. Then, give yourself Full Control; again, recursively. Finally, in the folder's properties, uncheck "Read Only". And of course, Microsoft couldn't see fit to put all these settings in one place.

(You could just do the F-Cookie-2012 subfolder under wherever you put F-Cookie-2012.dll, but then you'll have to go through all this next time you install an old SynthEdit plugin too; Crysalis had the same issue)
] Peter:H [ wrote:Sorry, not taking part this month. I switched back to Cubase 8.5 to be able to run 32bit plug-ins, but then I got weird "Cannot load xyz.sem" messages. I try to avoid fiddling with compatibility issues and getting angry over it...May be next month with a 64bit plug-in...

EDIT: REDO-ING
Last edited by Ethan Duys on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hmm, percussion sounds shure isn't its strongest point, but it shure can make some interesting sounds. I bet my end result will have a pretty dirty sound, it shure doesn't sound very polished at the moment, but i'm afraid i'll just mess it up even more, so i think i'll just leave it dirty. :)

Here's my attempt for this month.

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/hgcookie-2012-kvr-osc-97

15* HG Fortune Cookie
Camel phat free*4
George Yohng's W1Limiter
!!EQalt*4
Voxengo tube amp*2
Tal reverb2
Riviera reverb
Magneto
Limiter6
Jb redphattpro
Multianalyzer RS met.com
Nuendo channel eq*8
SlickSDR
DCremover
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

... and here's an intersting little item ... for Analogue lovers ...

http://cdm.link/2017/03/behringer-to-ma ... round-400/

dB

Here is what RuediRena is working on. Inspiring and different synth.

https://soundcloud.com/ruedirena/ruedirena-raum-1

Have a listen
Ruedi

https://soundcloud.com/zerothefox/wip-for-osc97/s-887CR
Just going on at my own pace. for the record, I don't particularly like the envelopes in this thing. also, the problems I'm having with it too, like the sync mode changing to 9. I did remedy that by automating them for every instance so far.
It's very tasty, I swear!

Working slowly on my track. I have frozen off the basics now using 18 instances of VSTi, and then in a separate Tab in Reaper, I re-work (i.e tweak ad nauseum) the various sounds, or create additional layers, save them as a new preset.

I can then switch tabs, "unmute" the original for the re-worked instrument, mute the stem, load the new preset and see how that sounds in the mix (I can also A/B with the last "acceptable" sound). OR ... I can leave the stem(s) in place and add in the new layer - if the combo auditions well, then I can freeze off that one, and add it into the overall track. If a sound has multiple layers, I buss these up so I can have a single fader for that instrument, even though it's a mix of many layers appropriately EQ'd, mixed and panned (and sometimes FX-d individually, rather then FX-ing the combo of layers).

Cheers,

dB
Last edited by doctorbob on Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well ... this is my 37th OSC track in a row ... Here's the track details ...

DAW: Reaper 5.35

Track Details:
17 * FortuneCookie2012
16 * ReaEQ
1 * JS Bass Manager/Booster
1 * Twin Delay
7 * LFX-1310
3 * Pecheneg Tremolo
2 * Epicverb
5 * TAL Reverb II
1 * TAL Reverb 4
1 * ReaVerbate
1 * Limiter No. 6
1 * TDR Kotenikov
1 * Classic Master Limiter

Master:
TDR SlickEQ
Ferric TDS
Limiter No.6

DR: 9

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... cookie2012

Follow-up on the "Cannot load xyz.sem" - It seems that the secret is to start Cubase 8.5 as Adminstrator.
Still there is this "all Instances went Mode9" thing after reload that is a real pain.
However, I haven't made up my mind whether I'm going to take part this month, but I threw a small loop together. If you like give it a try and if you like drop me a note what you think...this is inspired by gothic/electro style of sound...not yet as aggressive as bands like Hocico or Amduscia and that like...
---
Updated: Link removed, please see submission: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=480281&start=60#p6734488
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”