Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

RPH wrote:noise Bug:
- insert a basic audiocomponent
- Lower volume of the osc.
- Turn noise on to something.
- Addmod an envelope to the volume of the noise.
- Copy the audiocomponent

I notice the copied component does not give sound, while noise volume is 0.5, after I tweak the parameter there is sound.
Don't forget the noise bug. :tu:

In 2.8.0, I am trying to pitchbend with Aftertouch, and Aftertouch is not working at all in Fathom.

I tried it using the MIDI Controller MOD set to Aftertouch, and using the dedicated Note Aftertouch Mod. Neither responds. On the MIDI controller MOD, if I switch the mod from Aftertouch to Modwheel (CC 1), it responds exactly as it should.

I tried using the AU and the VST.

I also tested with a simple patch assigning Note Aftertouch to Cutoff. Nothing. It is completely ignored in Fathom. Mod is set to Add, with modulation up all the way. The Cutoff dial shows red from the set position all the way to max, so the range is right. As soon as I switch to CC1, it works.

Ableton is receiving the Aftertouch events, as verified by swapping Fathom out for Zebra2 and assigning aftertouch to filter cutoff. It responds as expected.

Specifics:
Fathom 2.8.0
Ableton Live Suite 9.7.6
macOS 10.13.3
Akai MPK249

The after touch is coded in Fathom but I had trouble testing it because my keyboard has no after touch, and I could not find a manual after touch signal in Ableton.

Does anyone know how to access after touch manually in Ableton or any other host?

If so, I can make sure it works for 2.9.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not sure if a bug or a feature. :lol:
But trying to use host modulation on the seq period yields interesting results.
https://youtu.be/aPIuxfskWrU
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

:borg: RPH when you add the envelope to the noise volume are you setting the modulation type to add and setting the noise volume to zero and turning up the modulation amount?

When you copy objects, currently it does not copy the modulations and if the volume is zero, then the copied object noise volume will also be zero.

I tried it with the envelope on multiply and the noise volume on 0.5 and when I copy the oscillator the new one has the noise volume correctly on 0.5 and the audio is on.

:borg: A while back someone reported volume gradually increasing. Is anyone still seeing this. If so please post some more exact steps for me to reproduce.

:borg: teilo, can you try assigning a Fathom MIDI Controller modulator and selecting Channel Pressure (third from top) and seeing if that works. I need to see if your hardware keyboard is sending After Touch or Channel Pressure signals to your host which then go into Fathom.

If it works, then I will add Channel Pressure to the Note and Keyboard modulators.

Also, if it works, you will need to tell me if you want Channel Pressure hardwired to After Touch internally in Fathom, so if you select After Touch then channel pressure will trigger it. Or if you want the two kept separate.

FathomSynth wrote:The after touch is coded in Fathom but I had trouble testing it because my keyboard has no after touch, and I could not find a manual after touch signal in Ableton.

Does anyone know how to access after touch manually in Ableton or any other host?

ReaControlMIDI in Reaper can generate monophonic channel pressure (but not poly aftertouch as far as I know).

FathomSynth wrote::borg: RPH when you add the envelope to the noise volume are you setting the modulation type to add and setting the noise volume to zero and turning up the modulation amount?

When you copy objects, currently it does not copy the modulations and if the volume is zero, then the copied object noise volume will also be zero.

I tried it with the envelope on multiply and the noise volume on 0.5 and when I copy the oscillator the new one has the noise volume correctly on 0.5 and the audio is on.
Hmm, I thought volume was not set to zero when the envelope got added.
I’ll retest tomorrow. :ud:

FathomSynth wrote:Does anyone know how to access after touch manually in Ableton or any other host?

This is just the Channel Pressure envelope. This is available in Ableton by showing Envelopes in a clip, and choosing "MIDI Ctrl" in the first drop down, and "Channel Pressure" in the second. It's just like editing a Modwheel envelope. It's not polyphinic, but per-channel.

Most VSTs just do per-channel. Polyphonic aftertouch is supported in a fair number of VSTs, but isn't used nearly as often, given how difficult it is to perform it. MPE has really taken over that area. Ableton does not support PAT, but Bitwig does.

So you're saying your keyboard has after touch per note and it works for other plugins but not for Fathom?

Which host are you using?

I checked my code for after touch and it is exactly the same as everything else such as pitch wheel, so I'm not sure why it is not working.

Problem is I have no way to test it and fix your bug unless I can simulate after touch messages into the host somehow, like with a host that has an after touch envelope per note, Ableton does not.

Ok, I am a blind idiot. You have Channel Pressure as a separate parameter, and I wasn’t using it. It is working just fine. I saw Aftertouch as a MIDI Controller parameter, and didn’t look any further. I assumed this was what I wanted, because there was a separate Mod module for Note Aftertouch. I assumed one was the channel aftertouch and the other the note aftertouch.

What most keyboards call “Aftertouch” is actually Channel Pressure, but most VSTs just call it Aftertouch because of the common keyboard nomenclature.

Sorry for the false alarm.

OK, That's good news.

Seems like it would be an easy mistake to make.

So I went ahead and added Channel Pressure as one of the distinct note and keyboard modulators, and put it right after After Touch, so people can see the difference, and are more likely to choose the right one depending on their keyboard controller.

I made a video of the bug, could reproduce it.
The bug is a little different, there is sound sometimes when multiple notes are pressed. Not single ones.

https://youtu.be/6Sq1xU36x3E

RPH wrote:I made a video of the bug, could reproduce it.
The bug is a little different, there is sound sometimes when multiple notes are pressed. Not single ones.

https://youtu.be/6Sq1xU36x3E
On the example video, why is it when the envelope is attached to the noise volume there is instantly a red line showing the range of the modulation when the modulation amount on the mod slat is still at zero? Edit: 4:00am error in understanding how multiply works. Sorry.

The copy of the osc doesn't show that range indication on the volume dial.

Similar test but using addition instead of multiply (setting noise volume @ zero and mod amount on slat to .500 to end up with same sound/duration of example video sound) seemed to copy fine.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

FathomSynth wrote::borg: teilo, can you try assigning a Fathom MIDI Controller modulator and selecting Channel Pressure (third from top) and seeing if that works. I need to see if your hardware keyboard is sending After Touch or Channel Pressure signals to your host which then go into Fathom.

If it works, then I will add Channel Pressure to the Note and Keyboard modulators.

Also, if it works, you will need to tell me if you want Channel Pressure hardwired to After Touch internally in Fathom, so if you select After Touch then channel pressure will trigger it. Or if you want the two kept separate.
For me Channel Pressure and After Touch both work, though it creates zipper noise when modulating the Mix in a Filter SVR (that is where I tested, thats a bug for sure, it needs to be smoothed).
To avoid confusion: Aftertouch in almost all keyboards out there is Channel Pressure. Then there is polyphonic after touch, which is per note pressure. My LinnStrument is capable of both. I would call what you labeled "After Touch" either Poly Pressure or Polyphonic Aftertouch.
By the way, I am missing Note Off Velocity as modulator...

OK, I'll take a look at the bugs posted recently.
I'll try to get as many fixes as I can into 2.9.0.

Return to “Instruments”