Fathom announces Fractal Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Kalamata Kid
KVRAF
3226 posts since 27 Jul, 2001 from Tarpon Springs, Florida, USA

Post Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:01 pm

FathomSynth wrote: Kalamata Kid, You have a very old version from earlier this year, but yes it was Pro, otherwise it would say Mono.
You can always get the latest software upgrades here:
https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates

But wait a couple hours because 2.14 is just about to be released.

Sorry, the Fathom interface is not fancy enough to tell you that you need updates or where to get them,
all my time is put into the audio engine. You should check the upgrades page every couple weeks to check for upgrades,
since I release them very regularly.
I was not critical of the GUI but wanted know if I missed something.
Actually I really like the GUI and the multi-touch works great.

Regarding the version 2.3.0 seems newer than 2.14. I guess not.
I will wait a while and get the 2.14. I am certain it will be a worthy update.

Thanks for the very prompt reply.
23" 10-touch Monitor and iPad Air as Midi Controllers, iConnectMIDI2+, Windows 10-64bit, Xeon W36900, 12 GB RAM.

FathomSynth
KVRian
885 posts since 25 Mar, 2017 from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: $ Fathom Friday $

Post Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:40 pm

No problem, I'll post here as soon as 2.14 is available.

GreyLion
KVRAF
2942 posts since 21 May, 2004 from Deep in the Heart of Texas

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:07 am

KK -- Version numbering sequence can fool your eyes. Think of the latest version as being 2.14.0, versus your 2.03.0. :D

fmr
KVRAF
7772 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:37 am

GreyLion wrote:KK -- Version numbering sequence can fool your eyes. Think of the latest version as being 2.14.0, versus your 2.03.0. :D
Yes, I think Everett should change the numbers. In my backup disk, where I usually store ALL the downloads for a while, versions x.10, .11, .12 and .13 appear ordered before x.2 and x.3. Actually, this is pretty much a convention followed by everyone. Everett should have used a 0 before the numbers in the older updates (before 10). Now, there's nothing he can do about it.

Problem is we already had updates numbered from 2.1 to 2.9 so this can only be solved by renumbering the version to 3.0 and start fresh.
Fernando (FMR)

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:16 am

:borg: Fathom 2.14 is Released.

:party: Fathom Friday Sale is now in effect.

OK, I will make a note that when I start 3.0 it will go 01 ... 09, 10, 11, etc.

fmr
KVRAF

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:21 am

FathomSynth wrote::borg: Fathom 2.14 is Released.

The addition of the sampler modules would be a good occasion to renumber Fathom to 3.0 :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

BlackWinny
KVRAF
3500 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:26 am

fmr wrote:
FathomSynth wrote::borg: Fathom 2.14 is Released.

The addition of the sampler modules would be a good occasion to renumber Fathom to 3.0 :wink:
I agree, because it is obvious that it will be a huge evolution, in terms of developments as well as in terms of palette of sounds for the users.
:)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

DrMEM
KVRist
118 posts since 6 Aug, 2017

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:38 am

fmr wrote:
GreyLion wrote:KK -- Version numbering sequence can fool your eyes. Think of the latest version as being 2.14.0, versus your 2.03.0. :D
Yes, I think Everett should change the numbers. In my backup disk, where I usually store ALL the downloads for a while, versions x.10, .11, .12 and .13 appear ordered before x.2 and x.3. Actually, this is pretty much a convention followed by everyone. Everett should have used a 0 before the numbers in the older updates (before 10). Now, there's nothing he can do about it.

Problem is we already had updates numbered from 2.1 to 2.9 so this can only be solved by renumbering the version to 3.0 and start fresh.
Yeah but what happens when we get to Fathom v2.99.0 and 2.100.0 :D

fmr
KVRAF

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:36 pm

DrMEM wrote:
fmr wrote:

Yeah but what happens when we get to Fathom v2.99.0 and 2.100.0 :D
Hell will be frozen :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

_al_
KVRist
305 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:54 am

FathomSynth wrote:No, that is not fixed.

Please make a recording and send it to me.
Sorry, i really don't have time to help with this, but i just tried again and can tell you the following:
This time, the audio wasn't constantly dropping in and out like last time, but this time, after a minute or two of messing with random controls, the sound just cut out completely, and stayed silent. I had to reload FL to get the sound back, and the second time i tried, it didn't even cut out, but after a couple of minutes i got the error "FL has stopped working", and FL closed.
So including yesterday, that's three times in a row it's been unusable on my system.

Something else i noticed: when i turn any knob, it doesn't do anything to the sound, until i stop and start the play button, and then everything updates.

I must say though, this does look like a really nice synth, and i would love to have this working on my system and follow it's development, but it seems like it doesn't like my system for more than one reason.
I never even got to try the filters, as all the problems happened at the osc stage, with only one osc.
Oh, by the way, no osc retrigger?

Ok, anyway, here's some details:
FL latest (build 477)
One instance of Fathom (mono32) and nothing else (taking around 3% cpu)
Tried with used fixed size buffers ( with both sub-options checked and unchecked)
On-board soundcard

Win7 32bit

I have no problems with any other synths. In fact, i can't remember the last time saw a plugin behaving this badly

] Peter:H [
KVRian
596 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Re: Fathom Version 2.14 Released

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:11 am

Hi Everett,

tried out latest version 2.14 - works without any problem on my side. Hope you got some sleep by now and feel fit enough for a round of feature requests ;-) Please just put them on the "todo later" todo list if you think they are worth at all.

What I wanted to do:
Basically the feature I would like to see is Mixing and Paning - What I was trying to to is to have one Oscillator and route it through two independent ways to the output - each way has a filter which is modulated by a LFO with lightly different phase. one is routed to the left and one to the right. I have added the patch in my post before this one...

What features could be worth thining about, that would have helped me:
  • Right now I can do the panning only by going through a Delay which is configured to let only the dry signal of one channel through and the other is set to zero volume. Would it be possible to get a Panning Module?
  • The last stage before output I have routed both paths additinally back into a chorus, giving three "outputs" together. This chorus is louder compared to the side channels, I would like to turn the chorus level down a bit. Would it be possible to get a VCA Module, or a Mixing Module where like 4 channels can be routed in and each can have a panning and a loudness control?
Thanks Everett, for reading. As I've said, please take this as a feature request on your list, don't start immediately with the implementation ;-) Probably it would be a good thing to collect some feature requests, get a voting about priority in your user base and only then implement them, if they are requested by more than one (me?) user...

Thanks
] Peter:H [

Scrubbing Monkeys
KVRian
571 posts since 21 Apr, 2017 from Bahia, Brazil

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:06 pm

GreyLion wrote:I LOVE the song by Scrubbing Monkeys. Pure ear candy! :D
That is great to hear. Thank you so much for your kind words.

Kalamata Kid
KVRAF

Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:22 am

Not sure what to do to update so
I deleted the 2.3.0 Fathom folder
and installed the Fathom Pro 2.14

Can I use the 2.3.0 files in the Program folder,
Copy and paste them into the 2.14 Folder?
23" 10-touch Monitor and iPad Air as Midi Controllers, iConnectMIDI2+, Windows 10-64bit, Xeon W36900, 12 GB RAM.

FathomSynth
KVRian

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Yes, but there were a lot of new presets between 2.3 and 2.14,
so I would recommend using the 2.14 presets plus your own presets.

Kalamata Kid
KVRAF

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:36 pm

FathomSynth wrote:Yes, but there were a lot of new presets between 2.3 and 2.14,
so I would recommend using the 2.14 presets plus your own presets.
So the older 2.3 presets are not compatible with Fathom 2.14?
So I did it right by deleting Fathom 2.3 before installing Fathom 2.14?

May I suggest that you raise price and remove $2.50 update fees.
The higher price will also reflect the quality of your product.

You may state "The price of Fathom is much lower than it should be.
Ask our users!"

KK: "My feeling is that fathom could double in price and still be considered a steal"

Return to “Instruments”