Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

zzz00m wrote:
focusrite wrote:That's not what I had in mind.
Maybe you want a Korg Wavestation?
It sounds like he does. I'm not aware of any softsynths besides the Wavestation that do wavesequencing, but I don't think it lets you import your own samples. For that he'd have to buy a Kronos, which is a tad more expensive.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

Mutantdog, No that's not nitpicking at all.

These kinds of improvements make the product much easier to use. Anything that throws a hurdle in the creative process is important. I'll see what I can do for the next release. Consistent categories would certainly be a good idea.

ZeePok wrote:
RPH wrote:
GreyLion wrote:Is there a reason that RC Lee's 'Sounds that will Grow' doesn't have any links and can't be bought on the Fathom site? I'd like to buy it and the Scrubbing Monkeys bank together. :D
RC Lee = Scrubbing Monkeys. ;)
Very good cause, ScrubbingMonkeys! :tu:

To support both your terrific efforts I (re)bought Fathomsynth with the bundle (I love Fathom Fridays! :borg: :ud: :party:)

Thank you.

Once you guys have time to play around
witih Aggressive Edges a .bit, I would appreciate any constructive feedback.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Hey Everett,

making a bit of advertizing on a german forum for your latest release a few days ago, the feedback is, that Fathom is capable but rather complex...I replied that you added some easy modules...that is just for your information.

And I'm so sorry, but you triggering me with the announcement of "spectrum manipulation" for 2.19 - Dimtry Sches' Thorn could be a good examle, especially the "spectral filter" which is a filter defined as spectrum response...as always, please take this as an idea not as a "I must have this" feature request. And please keep in mind - coming back to my starting note - I'm a tech affine musican and I love this nerdy tech stuff (some call it toys), which could probably ask too much of the average "musican" ;-)

] Peter:H [

FathomSynth wrote:Mutantdog, No that's not nitpicking at all.

These kinds of improvements make the product much easier to use. Anything that throws a hurdle in the creative process is important. I'll see what I can do for the next release. Consistent categories would certainly be a good idea.
OK. I'll go ahead and be the guy to nitpick on the preset browser.

I hate it. But I have not complained before because the synth sounds so cool. :D

Flatten the browser folder system. Having separate folders for different genres/authors is just odd. It would be much better to start with one big flat collection that you could sort and filter by tags, such as genre/author/category/etc., which would be so much more useful!

Thanks!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

plexuss wrote:
FathomSynth wrote:MPE, Good news is, it can be done, there is a JUCE class specially made for MPE, so it is do-able.
Bad news is it is a different class and will require a little redesign, but I will make it a priority
+1 for MPE. MPE profoundly transforms the ability to make expressive music with synths. You'll get listed on the Linn and Roli pages that list MPE supported synths for some free advertising. :phones:
Great suggestion! Here's the list from the Roli site with current MPE synths. It would be a good list to get Fathom on! :tu:

https://support.roli.com/support/soluti ... nstruments

FathomSynth wrote:Mutantdog, No that's not nitpicking at all.

Quick question, do you prefer suggestions here, or by mail? :)
I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

(n/m)
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:dog: Wrong thread

:phones: New Fathom Video, Wave Morphing Melody.

The song "Mountain Climber" uses Fathom's wave table oscillator and a double modulated LFO to mimic the varying vibrato of a human voice. Both the oscillator pitch and wave table position are modulated with the same LFO which in turn is modulated with an ADSR on both the amplitude and frequency.

:borg: Also, please post your comments on the new sound bank Aggressive Edges. We will be using your ideas for the next bank.

https://youtu.be/3k6cn0CinY8

Very nice and expressive demo! I could just imagine playing a voice like that with a Roli Seaboard...

So i just loaded this synth up for another test run, and it seems the MT version has fixed the glitching in FL.

And now, after an hour of playing with this, i have to say, this synth is turning into something quite special. And i only tested 5 or 6 different modules!
CPU is extremely low, considering the depth of this thing, and every time i think i'm missing a feature, i have found it (or a workaround) within minutes (example: the phaser rate doesn't sync to key or host, so i set the speed to zero, and used an LFO on the speed).

However... there is one thing that will stop this synth becoming a goto for me, if it's not addressed, and that's RAM usage. I mean seriously, 1.2gb? Is that really necessary, or is it a work in progress?

Try the Low RAM build.

I'll test it again and see if any images can be free'd from memory.

Also try going into the settings page and lowering the buffer size.

Also, if you are not using the default backgrounds that will increase memory.

In the next release I will make it so images are only loaded for windows being used, that should help a lot. Currently for speed it loads the entire interface, but that could be the problem.

I had not noticed this before, because I usually only fire up one instance of Fathom, so not usually pushing the installed RAM limit here.

But yep, it does use some RAM. The base UI when first launched without any sounds loaded takes ~590MB. But then just dropping a basic waveforms oscillator module in sends it over 1GB.

I tested the low RAM build, and I got a decrease of about 100MB.

On Ableton, I'm getting ...

Processor 120 MB
GUI 330 MB
Oscillator Tables 370 MB

For a total of 820 MB or 0.8 GB.

For the next release I will change the GUI so it only loads images for the windows actually being used.

I will also double check the oscillator tables again. I would have thought that the audio buffer size setting would fix that problem, but I just tried it and it had absolutely no impact, which makes no sense. I will look into this for the next release.

Return to “Instruments”